Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Merch, Like a Boss!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Cool How to Merch, Like a Boss!

Yeah Yeah, I said I was leaving, but in my defense this guide has been in the works for a few months and I decided I would release it instead of being a noob and deleting it.

So yes, there are a few guides out there on Merching (Hunzz, Evolt) but I feel they are out of date, so this will be a little updated and more in depth.

The Basics

Auction Slots

The more the merrier, when you are merching you want to have the freedom to post as many items at once as possible, you never know when your ideal buyer will come along and buy one of your items.

Yes, you can merch with one Auction slot but it will take a whole lot of time

I suggest creating a new character and buying the starter pack for it that comes with 10 free auctions slots for a fraction of what they normally are, if you still want more do some free plat offers and save for the pack of 10 auctions slots (75 plat)

I personally use 100 auction slots and I don't always have them full but when I do boy its cool to sell 10-15 items every few hours

Knowing your Prices

This is one of the most important aspects, I suggest taking a few days to read through the CS and search through it to find the average prices for items so you know when you find a good deal. Knowledge is also power and you have the advantage over someone if you know what you can make off of the item then you can utulize that to make good decisions in buying items

Constantly keep in mind Supply>Demand, this will help when making decisions on items that are rare, versus items that are not rare.

This will also help when you buy from people through direct trading, you can negotiate with them based on your knowledge of the CS.

Time

You will need some time to merch, I spend about 15 minutes every 1-5 hours looking through for good deals.

Once you become effective at searching you can cut down the time you spend looking and get on to making the real money, it will be trial and error for awhile with some of the items you first merch.

All The Rest

What to merch?

When you are merching you are looking for big ticket items that you can buy then relist for good profits, Heres a small cheat sheet

Pinks

-Forgotten bows (Levels 10-~61)

-Halloween Items (Paws, Blades, Shields levels 10-30)

-Artisan, Expert armors (level 15)

-25 Sandstone cave items (Especially Dex helms and armors)

-30-35 Pvp Items (Brainfreeze, Shiv, Iceberg armors(lvl30) Swamp rat, Copperhead, Zombie armors helms and weapons(lvl 31-35))

-37 Alien Oasis Pinks( Helms and Armors)

-40 Alien Oasis Pinks (Helms and Armors)

-50 Shadow and Alien Oasis premium set pieces (Shadow, Hate, Death, Void, Rift, Cosmos)

-51-55 Sewer set pieces (Mainly Raid Roach, Mega Mage, and Fury fighter pieces)

-56-60 Glyph set pieces

-61-66 Fang set pieces

-66 Humania set pieces

-70 crafted humania set pieces

-71-75 Blacksmoke pinks

These are some of the items that are hot items for different reasons. Most of the level low level helms and armors are good Pvping gear so they are good to merch off of. Forgotten bows and halloween items are also good merching items if you know your prices.

How to Make the Moolah

Lets start off by entering the CS, you need to make a travel path through the CS to search out every possible deal that can make you money. Depending on how much time you have to merch you can reform this suggested path to fit your schedule. Here is the path I use

-1-10 pinks (Armors, lvl 10 Weapons/fbows) Purple (Armors, Helms)
    11-15 pinks (Armors, Weapons, Shields)
    16-20 pinks (Armors, Weapons, Shields)
    21-23 pinks (Onyx, Crystal, Earth items)
    25-29 pinks (Onyx, Crystal, Earth items/Snipers Helms, Bone Armors)
    30-31 pinks (Brainfreeze, Shivering, Iceberg Armors, Swamp Scaled items (level 30-31)
    32-35 pinks (Green Ice Brainfreeze Shiv and iceberg, Scaled and Unscaled Swamp Items)
    37-39 pinks (Alien Oasis Armors and Helms (dont merch weapons except maybe hunting bows)
    40-40 pinks (Alien Oasis Armors Helms and Shields)
    41-43 pinks (Alien Oasis Armors and Helms)
    (skip 45-49)
    50 pinks (Shadow, Death, Hate, Void, Cosmos, Rift)
    51-53 pinks (Sewer)
    55-55 pinks (Mainly Fury, Raid, Mega Mage)
    56-58 pinks (Charmin' , Strongman, Obedience, and sometimes Bigtop, Nuris, Mimicry if you can make profit)
    60-60 pinks (Same as above)
    61-61 pinks (fang)
    63-65 pinks (Fang, crafted and uncrafted)
    66-68 pinks (humania)
    70-70 (crafted and uncrafted humania)
    71-73 pinks
    75-76 pinks, Elites
    1-15 christmas items
    15-35 christmas items
    35-65 christmas (I dont recommend buying above level 30 for christmas)
    1-15 Halloween
    15-35 Halloween
    35-55 Halloween

Check All Vanities for any good deals (Bunny Ears, Party Hats, Ancient Coins)
    lastly look at purple Christmas and Halloween for good deals

Now, there are a few forms of ways to merch items you find.

Firstly if you see multiple Items underpriced BUY THEM ALL! stash them till the prices recovers and sell them for profit!

For Example: You know level 22 Forgotten pink bows can sell for 300k because you sold on last week (random example) So you see 3 of them listed for 150-160- and 170k. You can then purchase all three of these with the guarantee that they will go up in price no matter what till the next forgotten event (supply>demand) and you can slowly sell these off at 300k. If you get underpriced just let the item expire and try back in a few days, you should be in no rush to sell it, bide your time.

Secondly You can do quick flip merching. If you see a item that is priced too low you can buy it and sell it for the price it usually goes for.

For Example: You see a Fiendish Monkey Paw (level 15) for 100k and another above it for 180k, you know that you can sell these for 150k+ so you can buy the one for 100k then list it for 175k so it is still the cheapest paw shown but you make a nice profit off of it.

Thirdly there is long term Merching, this is buying items you predict will increase in value down the road.

For Example: I purchased 2 Elite sea blasters back during the humania cap for 1.7 mil each, I waited till they were discontinued and sold each for 3.3 mil. That was a profit of 2.2 mil just for waiting a few months.

This was also done by some smart merch's with the Black Dragon which used to sell for 3-5 mil and is now worth 10-20 mil a piece.

I Made some money! what now?

Its up to you, but here is what I do with the money I make.

If I buy a Zombie robe for 5k and sell it the next day for 15k then I stash half of my profit (5k) and use the other half for more merching. If you are succesful you will always have money to play around with while saving a good sum in your stash for whatever cool sets you want to get.

To be successful you can't blow every ounce of gold you get, stay focused and think out every purchase you make.

Final Thoughts

-If you lost money on a deal don't beat yourself up! just move on and sell the item for a loss, a little bit of money is better then no money at all

- Don't get over zealous and buy every Voodoo pin on the market and think that you can list just one of them for 1 mil and someone will buy it, people farm that stuff or already own it and will under cut you, just stay on top of what is happening in the CS and price your items accordingly.

-When buying items to make profits make sure the you are keeping in mind the fee that is charged to list the item, it will cut into your profits so don't merch on items under 5k unless your sure it will sell quick

-A great idea is to keep a notebook going of every item you buy and what price you bought it for so you can minimize your losses and maximize your profits

I will add to this as I finish all my info I am putting into it

-Griff
    Last edited by Griffinfan; 05-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Griffinfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Very well done griff. Think Ill put my 12 auction slots to work now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mage till the end View Post
    Very well done griff. Think Ill put my 12 auction slots to work now
    There is so much money to be made on the CS, just gotta bide your time with it and be patient

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

Default How to Merch, Like a Boss!

Sweet will thank this when I get on my computer.

The Land Of Trolls. Graduated Medic from The Land Of Trolls.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Added to the list of guides regarding merching. =)

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Another guide made by griffinfan, my best bud :P
    Now get on more often IG, me and boot wait impatiently for you and wish to farm with you.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Expert and artisans come in L10?
    AL: BAT~HAM 0_O

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Xbuddyjosh For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Might wana pm dev to pt this in player guilds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Well said & Organized, Griff..
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

The Land Of Trolls. Graduated Medic from The Land Of Trolls.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Thing is, there are too many guides about merching and getting rich, it gets boring to the experienced players after a while. Sure it benefits the new players, but I doubt we require so many guides on merching alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Best guide about merching, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffinfan
    What to merch?

When you are merching you are looking for big ticket items that you can buy then relist for good profits, Heres a small cheat sheet

Pinks

--
    Why no dragon vanities? Imo best merching items, easy to make good profits. Last weekend i made mill by merching only these.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendellism
    Thing is, there are too many guides about merching and getting rich, it gets boring to the experienced players after a while. Sure it benefits the new players, but I doubt we require so many guides on merching alone.
    Hunzz's guide is quite outdated and Apollo's guide just isn't so informative. Looks like he wrote it just to show that he is one of the "major merchants".

Edit: Evolt's guide is actually pretty good, but i'd still say that there was need for good merching guide.
    Last edited by Gragorak; 05-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    <Enigmatic>
    Ludens necesse est, vivere non est necesse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gragorak View Post
    Best guide about merching, great job!

Why no dragon vanities? Imo best merching items, easy to make good profits. Last weekend i made mill by merching only these.

Hunzz's guide is quite outdated and Apollo's guide just isn't so informative. Looks like he wrote it just to show that he is one of the "major merchants".

Edit: Evolt's guide is actually pretty good, but i'd still say that there was need for good merching guide.
    If you notice, it was actually created in roughly the same time frame as the other merchanting guides. I made it to teach the general rules about merchanting and how to utilize the CS effectively which were things that Hunzzz, Whirlz, and Evolt left out. Thus, I didn't want to re-cover what they already taught as it was unneeded and would only undermine their time spent towards making a guide & as well as my time. Instead, I just included principles and concepts that they left out/things they didn't cover.

Hence, I included things like keeping an excel data sheet of item history to help you with your decisions when merchanting or keeping a stock "portfolio".
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-13-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Well....I think it's a great, succinct, useful and informative guide and just because things have been done before, doesn't mean they can't be done again. A fresh outlook is refreshing sometimes.

Trulyhappy Officer of TCG
    It's not always rainbows and butterflies
    It's compromise that moves us along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Happiness View Post
    Well....I think it's a great, succinct, useful and informative guide and just because things have been done before, doesn't mean they can't be done again. A fresh outlook is refreshing sometimes.
    When is a fresh outlook not refreshing, bahahaha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo:1093566
    When something is already fresh. Therefore rather than refreshing it you are just adding to the freshness
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    @Apollo Lol...would have helped if I read that back before posting ...was rushing in my defence (oven was beeping wildly for me to go check on my carrot cake!)

But I just meant sometimes the style of someone's writing is easier to relate to than another's. And just because there are many guides out there doesn't mean we should just jump on people and criticise them for updating or "refreshing" them. No one is forcing anyone to use them ;p

Trulyhappy Officer of TCG
    It's not always rainbows and butterflies
    It's compromise that moves us along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Please move this to guide section...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matutd View Post
    When something is already fresh. Therefore rather than refreshing it you are just adding to the freshness
    If you're adding to the freshness, then you are RE-freshing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

@Apollo Lol...would have helped if I read that back before posting ...was rushing in my defence (oven was beeping wildly for me to go check on my carrot cake!)

But I just meant sometimes the style of someone's writing is easier to relate to than another's. And just because there are many guides out there doesn't mean we should just jump on people and criticise them for updating or "refreshing" them. No one is forcing anyone to use them ;p
    Haha, no worries, it just gave me a morning chuckle before my midterm.

Anyways, let me know how the carrot cake turns out! I am a sucker for good carrot cake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Sweet