Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I having so much lag lately?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Default Why am I having so much lag lately?

So much lag lately that I can hardly play... Why?!
    AL: BAT~HAM 0_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Your router/ISP. Pressure them to fix whatever is wrong, show them the game. Explain how it measures latency. They'll try to blame it on the game, but it isn't the game.

The problem is your router/ISP.

It is not STS's fault, considering I am playing just fine.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

I actually did that^. I went full nerd on them, showed the guy how I was lagging and spiking and such, and he said it was the game's server. My mom has been calling them like crazy, and every time they come over they never fix it. They're also trying to blame it on a tree in the neighbor's yard -.- Lol. But hopefully something happens, it annoys the crap outta me. And good luck to you too Josh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trenton For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Your router/ISP. Pressure them to fix whatever is wrong, show them the game. Explain how it measures latency. They'll try to blame it on the game, but it isn't the game.

Lies!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    I actually did that^. I went full nerd on them, showed the guy how I was lagging and spiking and such, and he said it was the game's server. My mom has been calling them like crazy, and every time they come over they never fix it. They're also trying to blame it on a tree in the neighbor's yard -.- Lol. But hopefully something happens, it annoys the crap outta me. And good luck to you too Josh.
    It's most likely because its a costly fix. ISPs do not want to blame themselves, ever. It is not the game, period. Threaten to cancel your service and go to competitors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

I had the same problem.
    All I did was come closer to the router.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

^Did that, I was sitting literally a foot away from it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts

If you are playing on pc, try hard wiring straight to the modem. If you're on wireless try resetting your router by power cycling it.

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

^Did that, I was sitting literally a foot away from it.
    Haha.
    What device are you playing on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

You should look at AL's forums. The bugs section. There's a thread on lagg recently and about 99% of them are blaming it on STS (im the 1% who tried to talk some sense into them). They just wouldn't listen, and I said probably the exact same thing to them as you said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

It is not the game, period.
    I think you may be mistaken. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiq View Post
    You should look at AL's forums. The bugs section. There's a thread on lagg recently and about 99% of them are blaming it on STS (im the 1% who tried to talk some sense into them). They just wouldn't listen, and I said probably the exact same thing to them as you said.
    So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine?
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-20-2013 at 11:20 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    It's funny because I'm warned about making statements like this in my essays. I think you are absolutely, and positively wrong. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine and dandy. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

Be careful where you choose to stand.

So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine? You realize that defies the rules of logic, correct?
    That post wasn't necessary and actually, pretty annoying.

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't contribute on the issue. I can tell you for a fact that it is not the game's fault. I make that statement after playing from multiple locations from multiple different devices. Please, if you DO NOT know what you are talking about, don't try to contradict a statement that is stating the facts. I work with computers, my entire family works with computers. I know what I'm saying when I'm making this statement and experiencing it myself.

You forgot to mention that 85% of PL players don't know what they're talking about with their lag either. Why? I'm able to fix most players lag that ask for help. It is NOT STS's fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

That post wasn't necessary and actually, pretty annoying.

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't contribute on the issue. I can tell you for a fact that it is not the game's fault. I make that statement after playing from multiple locations from multiple different devices. Please, if you DO NOT know what you are talking about, don't try to contradict a statement that is stating the facts. I work with computers, my entire family works with computers. I know what I'm saying when I'm making this statement and experiencing it myself.

You forgot to mention that 85% of PL players don't know what they're talking about with their lag either. Why? I'm able to fix most players lag that ask for help. It is NOT STS's fault.
    I realize you know your stuff. I'm not doubting that. However, there may be something you didn't take into consideration. All I'm saying is that for most everyone I've talked with, there has been much more lag in game. Either everybody's internets started failing all at once, or there is something to this.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I realize you know your stuff. I'm not doubting that. However, there may be something you didn't take into consideration. All I'm saying is that for most everyone I've talked with, there has been much more lag in game. Either everybody's internets started failing all at once, or there is something to this.

And there's no need for personal attacks. That also defies the rules of logic.
    It was not a personal attack. The exact same tone you replied to me with, I answered you with.

You are also not taking factors into account, such as bandwith/latency. That is where ping is determined (one of the biggest factors). Again, I state, it is not STS to blame, not even an ounce. So yes, that statement is absolute. Server lag is different because it affects everyone. No if, ands, or buts, but everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

It's funny because I'm warned about making statements like this in my essays. I think you are absolutely, and positively wrong. Just because you have a good connection to the server doesn't mean that the server is doing fine and dandy. My Internet has been working great for the longest time. Recently, however, the game has become extremely laggy. Maybe it's my Internet, maybe not. I'd wager that about 85% of people I've talked with in game are struggling with a lot of lag lately as well.

Be careful where you choose to stand.

So 99% are complaining of lag and you, the 1% without lag think that you're correct and that the servers are fine? You realize that defies the rules of logic, correct?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 6741
Size:  139.6 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

It was not a personal attack. The exact same tone you replied to me with, I answered you with.

You are also not taking factors into account, such as bandwith/latency. That is where ping is determined (one of the biggest factors). Again, I state, it is not STS to blame, not even an ounce. So yes, that statement is absolute. Server lag is different because it affects everyone. No if, ands, or buts, but everyone.
    Look I don't know how band width, latency, ping, and all of that stuff works. It's clear that you do so I can take your word for it. However, I do have common sense and common sense tells me that PL was working smoothly one day for the vast majority of PL, and now it's really laggy for the vast majority of PL.

Could it be possible that the server did get (I'm crossing into unknown territory here) "weakened" (if you will) to some extent, and so it IS effecting everyone, but only a little bit. For people like you, with great Internet service, it's really hard to tell because your internet compensates for the weakened server. However, for people like, well everyone complaining of lag lately on and off the forums, our Internet isn't quite as good so it, in turn, becomes a noticeable difference in gameplay. For example, say our ping is usually 400 and yours is usually 100. If the server gets "weakened" a little bit, it rises your ping to 400 and ours to 700. All of the sudden there's a huge difference.

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance. I'll just restate what I said before, it was working fine for most, and now it's not working fine for most. That's all I know and it seems quite arrogant to me that a couple guys who aren't lagging think the server is fine. That's like a few blind men claiming that they're the only ones who can see. Then again, maybe it's more like a few men who can see, and therefore realize the whole world is blind. Again, maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Look I don't know how band width, latency, ping, and all of that stuff works. It's clear that you do so I can take your word for it. However, I do have common sense and common sense tells me that PL was working smoothly one day for the vast majority of PL, and now it's really laggy for the vast majority of PL.

Could it be possible that the server did get (I'm crossing into unknown territory here) "weakened" (if you will) to some extent, and so it IS effecting everyone, but only a little bit. For people like you, with great Internet service, it's really hard to tell because your internet compensates for the weakened server. However, for people like, well everyone complaining of lag lately on and off the forums, our Internet isn't quite as good so it, in turn, becomes a noticeable difference in gameplay. For example, say our ping is usually 400 and yours is usually 100. If the server gets "weakened" a little bit, it rises your ping to 400 and ours to 700. All of the sudden there's a huge difference.

Maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance. I'll just restate what I said before, it was working fine for most, and now it's not working fine for most. That's all I know and it seems quite arrogant to me that a couple guys who aren't lagging think the server is fine. That's like a few blind men claiming that they're the only ones who can see. Then again, maybe it's more like a few men who can see, and therefore realize the whole world is blind. Again, maybe I'm just displaying my ignorance.
    Im sorry Micah, but i couldn't stop laughing at your first stanza. You claim you do not know anything about bandwidth, latency, or how ping works, yet you have "common sense" to know that it's the servers that are responsible for the lag? Am I mistaken or by "common sense", you mean you're just following your gut? Because if you do not know how lag works, then how do you know it is the servers that is causing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiq View Post
    Im sorry Micah, but i couldn't stop laughing at your first stanza. You claim you do not know anything about bandwidth, latency, or how ping works, yet you have "common sense" to know that it's the servers that are lagging? Am I mistaken or by "common sense", you mean you're just following your gut? Because if you do not know how lag works, then how do you know it is the servers that is causing it?
    If A=B, and B=C, then it follows that A=C. That is the logic I am using, here; the "common sense."

Let me restate. All I know is that most people were playing happily with no lag. Then, all of the sudden, recently people are complaining of lag. Either everybody's Internet started screwing up at once, or the servers aren't up to par.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

If A=B, and B=C, then it follows that A=C. That is the logic I am using, here; the "common sense."

Let me restate. All I know is that most people were playing happily with no lag. Then, all of the sudden, recently people are complaining of lag. Either everybody's Internet started screwing up at once, or the servers aren't up to par.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's probably a duck.
    And where is your survey, that "everyone" has started lagging recently, because I'm definitely not part of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Step1: Move to texas
    Step2: Live as close as you can to SPS sever building
    Step3: Use same ISP as SPS
    Results: Your ping will be Low.