Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I having so much lag lately?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiq View Post
    And where is your survey, that "everyone" has started lagging recently, because I'm definitely not part of it.
    First of all "Everybody" that I spoke of, I first qualified as "most people." So I wasn't saying every single person.

Second, I seem to remember you saying something about 99%?
    You should look at AL's forums. The bugs section. There's a thread on lagg recently and about 99% of them are blaming it on STS (im the 1% who tried to talk some sense into them). They just wouldn't listen, and I said probably the exact same thing to them as you said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    First of all "Everybody" that I spoke of, I first qualified as "most people." So I wasn't saying every single person.

Second, I seem to remember you saying something about 99%?
    99% was metaphorical, meaning it was everyone other than me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

99% was metaphorical, meaning it was everyone other than me.
    Oh really?
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-20-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

On really?
    I don't get what you mean, but this was AL, not PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

I should have never jumped in in the first place. What do I know? I'm just that idiot forumer who likes to argue, right? Gee wiz, I'm out of here.
    I was just about to say that this thread is so boring....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I spike, I dont know why but whenever I'm just about to fight my oppeneont everything stops for a second then, then off and on during the duration of the battle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I got to say I'm having weird lag spikes on my otherwise fine high speed Internet connection too.

My connection goes through servers based in Brussels, London, New-York and Washington all the way up to the Amazon servers. It's simply impossible to put the blame on anyone when so many connections can influence my ping. It could be your ISP, it could be STS or it could very well be everything in between. My point is that no one here can be absolutely sure where the problem really lies.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

Default WHY?!

Just chill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I got to say I'm having weird lag spikes on my otherwise fine high speed Internet connection too.

My connection goes through servers based in Brussels, London, New-York and Washington all the way up to the Amazon servers. It's simply impossible to put the blame on anyone when so many connections can influence my ping. It could be your ISP, it could be STS or it could very well be everything in between. My point is that no one here can be absolutely sure where the problem really lies.
    Johan, if I'm not mistaken, if there is server lag, everybody would experience it. Correct? That's what I was taught, at least.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I just failed miserably at saying it seeing as I don't have hardly any knowledge in this area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Johan, if I'm not mistaken, if there is server lag, everybody would experience it. Correct? That's what I was taught, at least.
    However small the chance would be, it could as well be a poblem on one of the many connections to the Amazon server. That would explain why several, but not all, people are affected by it at different times (depending on what connection you are on at the moment of lag). Technically, this wouldn't be STS' s fault, but it's the server they run their stuff on so everyone would be blaming them.

This is a very small chance though, so you're most probably correct in saying it isn't STS' s fault but you can't tell for sure unless you'd stress test each connection to the server yourself.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I had terrible lag and updated my device to a 2013 high end model device with att wifi 65mbps and have no problems and i used to complain that it was sts because i though what i was using was good enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

I also have seen bursts of poor performance on PL that I hadn't experienced before. There hasn't been any kind of change on my end as far as my equipment, ISP, etc. It is of course very hard to diagnose definitively without being inside the network, but it got me to thinking about the Amazon-based servers that STS uses.

I don't know anything about the architecture. Anything here is purely speculation. However, I have to wonder how server "horsepower" is allocated. Obvious STS has to pay for server time, power and bandwidth, and it would stand to reason they pay more to get more. Did they go buy lots (any?) more server capacity when launching AL or did they just divide down the existing capacity? It seems like it would be awfully attractive to them not to spend more money if they didn't have to.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's just plain more load these days and that accounts for the degredation we see. It certainly fits the pattern I've seen. There are so many different entities involved here that we'll never know the truth, but that doesn't automatically mean we should all just accept that we need to "reset our routers". Online services reflexively blame the user's ISP as the first line of defense, but when lots of people start seeing the same symptoms, it's sure hard to swallow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

We have a bad router at home I get dc often, this week I'm at my girls house, I've never had a lower ping and no dc at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

I've been having lag problems to, but I switched from iPhone to itouch due to bein perma banned. It may be that that is causing me lag. I also would like to recognize that Micah has a valid point... Or maybe people are just whiners everywhere...
    "OMG man my ping is 300" it's like wih ping like that. I'd be awesome in pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sryyoulose View Post
    I've been having lag problems to, but I switched from iPhone to itouch due to bein perma banned. It may be that that is causing me lag. I also would like to recognize that Micah has a valid point... Or maybe people are just whiners everywhere...
    "OMG man my ping is 300" it's like wih ping like that. I'd be awesome in pvp.
    Thanks, Micah

I think FusionStrike and JaytB hit the nail on the head. There has been a significant increase in complaints about lag. Apollo knows his stuff says it's impossible that it's STS. If Apollo says it, I normally just believe it, but the significant increase in lag complaints have me second guessing him. The problem is that we seem to have a contradiction-It can't be both STS server, and not STS server. Therefore, there has to be a conclusion which can explain why a lot of people are complaining about lagging. Again, I think JaytB and FusionStrike had great theories on that.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

There is no way to tell where the "lag" is coming from, it could be coming from the server (small chance) or it could be peoples routers are having trouble connecting etc.

Arguing over it is ridiculous, but I must say no one can come in and say "My ping is fine, there is no problem with STS's servers" because as far as I know nobody plays 24/7 and can see every spike, or time the server could lag (at least I hope noone plays that much)

conclusion: it could be anything, no one will know exactly unless STS told us they were having problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I guess I just failed miserably at saying it seeing as I don't have hardly any knowledge in this area.
    The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.

Anyways, Johan, yes. Although, if it were Amazon servers that were lagging, wouldn't we know considering many companies use Amazon's services?

The reason why I say what I say is this: I play from a variety of locations, even absolute crap college Internet.

I also play on high end 2013 devices. However, even on the crappy college Internet, it is mainly stable at 100-200 ping. I say it is bad, considering the upload is less than 5 mbs, as well as download being less than 5mbs.

The reason why I spike is when bandwidth is being occupied by other students on campus. At home, it's the same issue. My family streams HD movies A LOT, as do most Indian families. Watching movies is one of their favorite pastimes. During those times, my ping is unstable. However, when I'm playing during non-peak hours, it is completely fine as there is plenty of bandwidth for me to have stable, double digit ping.
    (Home Internet has 75-100mpbs download and over 25mpbs upload)

I have tested from multiple locations as well, as the ping issue bothered me greatly. This is why I say that it is not STS. Also, this is coming from someone who always though it was STS's fault that I was laggig.
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.
    You're right, I did sound extremely arrogant. Sorry about that. I've re-edited it

My point does still remain though and I would certainly appreciate it if you wouldn't blow me off as knowing nothing. I can think same as anyone else.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 05-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

I don't get what you mean, but this was AL, not PL.
    Same servers location
    AL: BAT~HAM 0_O