Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why am I having so much lag lately?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiq View Post
    I was just about to say that this thread is so boring....
    Then y do u keep coming here
    AL: BAT~HAM 0_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    I didn't mean to sound arrogant. Having read it again, though, you're right. Sorry about that.

My point does still remain though and I would certainly appreciate it if you wouldn't blow me off as knowing nothing. I can think same as anyone else.
    The only reason why I said what I said was because of the rude, arrogant way you approached me. I do know you're an intelligent person, so I apologize for hurting your feelings as well.

Yes, there's a slight chance as with all things, but that's nitpicking. The chance is so slight that I highly doubt it is STS's fault.

I'll post a guide later on today to help others figure out wether lag is due to their own ISP or other factors. More often than not, the problem lies in bandwidth, device capabilities (as you've experienced when you upgraded to the iPad 3), and the strength of the wifi antenna. There is other factors, but I'm working out and doing burn-outs & it's getting to the point where I can barely move my fingers smoothly.
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Apollo a friend of mine said cookiezzpvp scammed him 2.6mil... He needs booted from tcg o.O
    AL: BAT~HAM 0_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xbuddyjosh View Post
    Apollo a friend of mine said cookiezzpvp scammed him 2.6mil... He needs booted from tcg o.O
    Could've been said in PM, but report him. If enough report him for scamming multiple players, he should be permanently banned.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Your router/ISP. Pressure them to fix whatever is wrong, show them the game. Explain how it measures latency. They'll try to blame it on the game, but it isn't the game.

The problem is your router/ISP.

It is not STS's fault, considering I am playing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    I actually did that^. I went full nerd on them, showed the guy how I was lagging and spiking and such, and he said it was the game's server. My mom has been calling them like crazy, and every time they come over they never fix it. They're also trying to blame it on a tree in the neighbor's yard -.- Lol. But hopefully something happens, it annoys the crap outta me. And good luck to you too Josh.

STS's servers are probably fine, but before blaming your isp, there are few things you can test to see where the problem may lie.

I'm a cable broadband tech, so what i'm saying only apply to cable isp. (in US)

and do these steps at your PC, with windows OS...

first check your signal level :

you can log into most cable modem's diagnostic by putting 192.168.100.1 on your browser's address bar.

check under the signal/status/connection tab

for Downstream, the ideal range for each frequencies should be as follow:

Signal to noise ratio : above 32db

Power level or Signal level or Receive level : above -10 dBmV , lower then +10 dBmv

for Upstream, ideal range for each frequencies should be:

signal to noise : above 21 db

Power level / Tx / Transmit : above 35 dBmv, below 53 dBmv.

provided your signal's good, next look up your iPv4 default gateway and ping it

to do that, if you are hardwired directly to your modem :

open up your Network and sharing center -> Manage Network connections -> double click your local area connection -> details

If you are Connected to your router.

log in to your router's setup page (refer to your router's manual) , and look up the Default Gateway ip.

Open your command prompt ( run -> "Cmd" )

type in

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n ## (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ipv4 gateway, when you ping that ip, you ping the node that you are connected to; ## is the number you want to ping it. 25 times is enough to tell)

with hardwired, your ping should be around 9 to 10 ms, wireless could get slightly higher and fluctuates, but not much.

what you looking for is, if there's any timeouts and if the latency fluctuates. (your ping should be very consistent pinging your node directly in a hard wired configuration.)

If you have good signal and consistent ping. There is nothing your ISP can do. problem is beyond your ISP's server.

if you have good signal yet time outs and inconsistent ping. call your ISP to come check, there may or May Not be a network issue in your neighborhood with your ISP.

if you don't have good signal... call your ISP, your cable needs to be worked on...

That post wasn't necessary and actually, pretty annoying.

If you do not know what you're talking about, don't contribute on the issue. I can tell you for a fact that it is not the game's fault. I make that statement after playing from multiple locations from multiple different devices. Please, if you DO NOT know what you are talking about, don't try to contradict a statement that is stating the facts. I work with computers, my entire family works with computers. I know what I'm saying when I'm making this statement and experiencing it myself.

You forgot to mention that 85% of PL players don't know what they're talking about with their lag either. Why? I'm able to fix most players lag that ask for help. It is NOT STS's fault.

Also even if you are playing fine from multiple location doesn't mean that it's going to be the same for everyone else who isn't from your region. and especially if these locations are from the same general region.

if you run "tracert" to sts server then you will see how many different servers are in between.

The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.

Anyways, Johan, yes. Although, if it were Amazon servers that were lagging, wouldn't we know considering many companies use Amazon's services?

The reason why I say what I say is this: I play from a variety of locations, even absolute crap college Internet.

I also play on high end 2013 devices. However, even on the crappy college Internet, it is mainly stable at 100-200 ping. I say it is bad, considering the upload is less than 5 mbs, as well as download being less than 5mbs.

The reason why I spike is when bandwidth is being occupied by other students on campus. At home, it's the same issue. My family streams HD movies A LOT, as do most Indian families. Watching movies is one of their favorite pastimes. During those times, my ping is unstable. However, when I'm playing during non-peak hours, it is completely fine as there is plenty of bandwidth for me to have stable, double digit ping.
    (Home Internet has 75-100mpbs download and over 25mpbs upload)

I have tested from multiple locations as well, as the ping issue bothered me greatly. This is why I say that it is not STS. Also, this is coming from someone who always though it was STS's fault that I was laggig.

believe it or not, your bandwidth doesn't have much of an impact on pl, because PL doesn't take up much bandwidth to play. bandwidth is how much data your isp allows you to transmit per second.
    i have a 15 down / 3 up connection and never had problems. 2 computers always online gaming, wife watch neflix in hd, and me and a couple family members all play PL. none of us have any major issues..
    and yes obviously when the bandwidth is maxed out, it's gonna cause delay for the modem to transmit all the data hence the increase on latency.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-21-02-41-49.png
Views: 127
Size:  124.2 KB

above image shows that on my tablet PL took about 1.09 gb of data out of the whole month.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-21-02-44-37.png
Views: 120
Size:  117.1 KB

above image shows that from the 15th to the 18th(day offs), PL took about 288 MB of data.
    and i played about 1 to 2 hours per day on those 4 days.

so let's say i only played 1 hour each day on these 4 days , that's 4 hours total.

288 MB / 4hour / 60min / 60sec = 0.02 Mbps

All in all, i'm not saying sts' server is bad, because i have never had any lag issues. but there are many, many, many factors that could contribute to the lag issue.
    and do your research before calling your isp.

because if i get a service call at someone's house. and they are telling me that their game is lagging, and i'm not finding any problems with their cable and they still wanna blame us, i will make sure
    that person is getting charged for the service call.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to onasho For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xbuddyjosh View Post
    Then y do u keep coming here
    Cuz i can.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

The issue was that you were extremely arrogant in your approach. I responded exactly how you responded to me. A large majority of players still play lag-free, so the server end simply cannot be true.

Anyways, Johan, yes. Although, if it were Amazon servers that were lagging, wouldn't we know considering many companies use Amazon's services?

The reason why I say what I say is this: I play from a variety of locations, even absolute crap college Internet.

I also play on high end 2013 devices. However, even on the crappy college Internet, it is mainly stable at 100-200 ping. I say it is bad, considering the upload is less than 5 mbs, as well as download being less than 5mbs.

The reason why I spike is when bandwidth is being occupied by other students on campus. At home, it's the same issue. My family streams HD movies A LOT, as do most Indian families. Watching movies is one of their favorite pastimes. During those times, my ping is unstable. However, when I'm playing during non-peak hours, it is completely fine as there is plenty of bandwidth for me to have stable, double digit ping.
    (Home Internet has 75-100mpbs download and over 25mpbs upload)

I have tested from multiple locations as well, as the ping issue bothered me greatly. This is why I say that it is not STS. Also, this is coming from someone who always though it was STS's fault that I was laggig.
    Dang, my internet sucks, we used to have 15 mb down and 5-10 mb up but now we have 1-3 mb down and 1 mb up!

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiq View Post
    Cuz i can.
    If this thread is so boring, why even bother coming into this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onasho View Post
    STS's servers are probably fine, but before blaming your isp, there are few things you can test to see where the problem may lie.

I'm a cable broadband tech, so what i'm saying only apply to cable isp. (in US)

and do these steps at your PC, with windows OS...

first check your signal level :

you can log into most cable modem's diagnostic by putting 192.168.100.1 on your browser's address bar.

check under the signal/status/connection tab

for Downstream, the ideal range for each frequencies should be as follow:

Signal to noise ratio : above 32db

Power level or Signal level or Receive level : above -10 dBmV , lower then +10 dBmv

for Upstream, ideal range for each frequencies should be:

signal to noise : above 21 db

Power level / Tx / Transmit : above 35 dBmv, below 53 dBmv.

provided your signal's good, next look up your iPv4 default gateway and ping it

to do that, if you are hardwired directly to your modem :

open up your Network and sharing center -> Manage Network connections -> double click your local area connection -> details

If you are Connected to your router.

log in to your router's setup page (refer to your router's manual) , and look up the Default Gateway ip.

Open your command prompt ( run -> "Cmd" )

type in

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n ## (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ipv4 gateway, when you ping that ip, you ping the node that you are connected to; ## is the number you want to ping it. 25 times is enough to tell)

with hardwired, your ping should be around 9 to 10 ms, wireless could get slightly higher and fluctuates, but not much.

what you looking for is, if there's any timeouts and if the latency fluctuates. (your ping should be very consistent pinging your node directly in a hard wired configuration.)

If you have good signal and consistent ping. There is nothing your ISP can do. problem is beyond your ISP's server.

if you have good signal yet time outs and inconsistent ping. call your ISP to come check, there may or May Not be a network issue in your neighborhood with your ISP.

if you don't have good signal... call your ISP, your cable needs to be worked on...

Also even if you are playing fine from multiple location doesn't mean that it's going to be the same for everyone else who isn't from your region. and especially if these locations are from the same general region.

if you run "tracert" to sts server then you will see how many different servers are in between.

believe it or not, your bandwidth doesn't have much of an impact on pl, because PL doesn't take up much bandwidth to play. bandwidth is how much data your isp allows you to transmit per second.
    i have a 15 down / 3 up connection and never had problems. 2 computers always online gaming, wife watch neflix in hd, and me and a couple family members all play PL. none of us have any major issues..
    and yes obviously when the bandwidth is maxed out, it's gonna cause delay for the modem to transmit all the data hence the increase on latency.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-21-02-41-49.png
Views: 127
Size:  124.2 KB

above image shows that on my tablet PL took about 1.09 gb of data out of the whole month.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-21-02-44-37.png
Views: 120
Size:  117.1 KB

above image shows that from the 15th to the 18th(day offs), PL took about 288 MB of data.
    and i played about 1 to 2 hours per day on those 4 days.

so let's say i only played 1 hour each day on these 4 days , that's 4 hours total.

288 MB / 4hour / 60min / 60sec = 0.02 Mbps

All in all, i'm not saying sts' server is bad, because i have never had any lag issues. but there are many, many, many factors that could contribute to the lag issue.
    and do your research before calling your isp.

because if i get a service call at someone's house. and they are telling me that their game is lagging, and i'm not finding any problems with their cable and they still wanna blame us, i will make sure
    that person is getting charged for the service call.
    While this is all very useful, believe me, perhaps this link will help you get an idea of what I mean. From my experience and experiences of helping others, the issues listed in the link below is mainly their issue.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...y-am-I-lagging

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am connected via Wi-Fi and speedtest.net is reporting a 9ms latency with over 33mb down speeds and over 10mb up speeds. I can stream multiple videos and download large files in the blink of an eye to my heart's content but the GAME is lagging ridiculously bad and I have NEVER had this problem before. I tend to agree with the numbers... If 85% of users are reporting massive lag, there IS an issue other than 85% of ISP connections being bad. That's just common sense people... There most certainly IS an issue with the GAME, NOT my ISP.

<-- Master's Degree in Computer Science