Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Symptoms: Why am I lagging?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default Identifying Symptoms: Why am I lagging?

Hello, Community,

So, I have noticed that many players are going on about increase of lag these days. Today, I will attempt to inform whoever reads this thread about the main sources of lag & how to pinpoint the source so that one can take the issue to their ISP.

So, first off, these are the main factors of lag:

• Bandwidth/Latency
    • Type of WiFi antenna & location + quality of the antenna in the device
    • Ping (Via Speedtest, not the ping in game)
    • Location of WiFi router (Having it in a closet, hidden away, like some people do will seriously disrupt the WiFi signal)
    • Type of WiFi Router

Please Watch the Following Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLepdS7hkk

Video Analysis:
    This connection was completed from a college campus with public WiFi for students. In this video, if you noticed, I took two tests for the purposes of consistency as well as the ability to compare and contrast.

Bandwidth/Latency:
    In the first test, if one took notice, I had a download speed of 6mpbs. In the second test, if one took notice, I had a download speed of nearly 4x that at ~23mpbs. Why is the difference so huge? Well, this shows the speed the data packets are traveling (how you are able to access the internet). If you notice, in the first test, the needle fluctuates A LOT. Well, unfortunately, this is one of the main factors that people do not notice which cause lag. When the needle is falling, you are getting little to no data packets. In English, this means that your ping will go up.

What should I be looking for?
    In the second test in that video, if you noticed, the needle was very consistent through the entire test. That is what you are looking for: a consistent needle that is not jumping all over the map.

In simpler concepts, think of it like this: When the needle is consistent, a constant stream of data packets are seamlessly flowing in and out. When the needle is not consistent, a static, wave-like "flow" of data is "flowing" in and out. It's almost like having a leak in your water pipe. The loss in data packets & when the needle is dropping translates into your ping rising.

^^This issue is what affects most people & the reason why they "spike". As the needle "spikes", so does their ping reader in AL/DL/PL/SL.

Secondly, ping. If you notice, my ping is 5 m/s based on my server location. This is good, so the issue for my ping problems cannot be due to ping. In my experience, anything under ~150 is adequate.

• Type of WiFi Antenna & Location + Quality of the Antenna in the Device:
    In many devices, such as the Nexus 7, the WiFi Antenna is inferior to a dual-band WiFi antenna device such as the Kindle Fire HD.

So, when selecting your playing device, always try to use one with the strongest WiFi antenna that you can get your hands on. If you're purchasing a new device for PL, look up reviews rating the WiFi antenna and how it compares with competitors.

For example, devices like the iPad have excellent WiFi antennae, but they are placed in poor locations in the device, so they can cause spikes from time to time. Now, on average, most people do not notice this as most people do not require a connection to be consistent as one requires for PL. Thus, it isn't always made into a big deal and companies can get away with poorly placed WiFi antennae.

Location of the WiFi Router:
    Now, most people know this, but think the location of their WiFi router location is perfectly acceptable. For example, my parents keep the WiFi router in a locked closet. This blocks a majority of the signal strength (while the connection still does appear as full bars, due to the proximity of my device to the router). Thus, if the closet door is closed, I will spike A LOT. Why? I am not getting a consistent stream of WiFi, but rather varying bursts of signal strength.

• Type of WiFi Router
    So, always always always make sure that you have a respectable WiFi router. Unfortunately, the fact is, many people think that these days their WiFi routers provided by cable companies/routers they purchased years ago are good enough. When playing MMOs, this is not true. In order to greatly boost your ping, pick a good WiFi router from respectable companies like NetGear or Linksys that offer dual-band. If you have a dual-band router coupled with a dual-band capable WiFi antenna in your device, your connection is stronger and more consistent. This, in turn, will translate to better, more stable and hopefully green ping.

So, if one has noticed, the key to good ping is consistency. SpeedTest is your friend, look at all your variables, test your WiFi. Please, make sure you run multiple tests. If you are not getting consistent results/have the fluctuating needle issue, it is highly likely that you lag in game.

Just a few thoughts,

I'll add more as I think of more.

~Apollo
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Default Identifying Symptoms: Why am I lagging?

Thanks for posting, this will be a great reference to players having issues with "lag."

Lady_Pebbles

Also add info about Traceroute. A dev posted info on it in another thread and was very helpful. He also mentioned there are traceroute apps for mobile devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles View Post

Also add info about Traceroute. A dev posted info on it in another thread and was very helpful. He also mentioned there are traceroute apps for mobile devices.

I know that it's a command for computers, but there is a way to find it out on mobile devices as well? I didn't add it in as the command because I figured that it would be complicated for people.

I wanted to keep it simple so most people can understand it. However, if there's an app that's easy to use and understand, I'll include it in this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I know that it's a command for computers, but there is a way to find it out on mobile devices as well? I didn't add it in as the command because I figured that it would be complicated for people.

I wanted to keep it simple so most people can understand it. However, if there's an app that's easy to use and understand, I'll include it in this.
    Is it this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skrapicoco View Post
    Is it this one?
    Yes, but all that data is confusing for most. Those who know it can use it, I'm not stopping them, but this way is a more visual way for trying to identify the problem/narrow it down.

Lady_Pebbles

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo:1104279
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles View Post

There are apps on Google Play that do the tests even for ping and DNS on a mobile network. I didn't know much about it (was still a lil confused) but H2N helped me to understand the info.

Last edited by Lady_Pebbles; 05-21-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: ugh attachments on forum app doesn't upload again... pfft

Lady_Pebbles

I use this one (attached).

Attachment 31093

Also, here is the info H2N gave me. Hope it helps yall too!

Quote Originally Posted by H2N
    This http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/...raceroute.html give a pretty good (and easy to understand) explanation of how to interpret the results of tracert.
    Last edited by Lady_Pebbles; 05-21-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: finally lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

If you're really serious about testing your network and ping, there are tons of network monitoring tools that keep stats and produce graphs about your connections, ping, network traffic...

There are also generally more simplified tools that do ping tests over a longer period of time.

All those tools usually come with a handy graphical output that allows you to easily spot discrepancies in your network behavior.

It's basically the same as what you're explaining, only over a longer timespan. That's important because many factors can influence your network stability, so it's important to not look at a snapshot but at the big picture.

Your way is definitely a good start and a possible solution for people with continuous network problems. Mostly network problems are not continuous though, that's why they're so hard to spot without the proper testing tools.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    438 Posts

Very nice, old dog learned some new tricks today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    If you're really serious about testing your network and ping, there are tons of network monitoring tools that keep stats and produce graphs about your connections, ping, network traffic...

There are also generally more simplified tools that do ping tests over a longer period of time.

All those tools usually come with a handy graphical output that allows you to easily spot discrepancies in your network behavior.

It's basically the same as what you're explaining, only over a longer timespan. That's important because many factors can influence your network stability, so it's important to not look at a snapshot but at the big picture.

Your way is definitely a good start and a possible solution for people with continuous network problems. Mostly network problems are not continuous though, that's why they're so hard to spot without the proper testing tools.
    If you could introduce these ways in another post, that'd be great! I posted this because, IMO, it's simple & easy enough for the majority to understand. It also address the majority's lag issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

If you could introduce these ways in another post, that'd be great! I posted this because, IMO, it's simple & easy enough for the majority to understand. It also address the majority's lag issues.
    Oops.. Accidentally pressed save lol

Anyway, if people would actually take the time and read a post about this stuff, I bet they are smart enough to google it. Networking is a complicated area, you might (not saying you do) think it's as easy as run a tool and it does it all for you, but it it's not.

Me making a thread of the couple of tools I know, of the 1000's of existing tools, would be completely useless, as most people wouldn't take the time to find out what stuff to look for anyway. Making a complete guide on how to use them would be extremely time consuming, if you want to cover all relevant aspects of Networking, plus all that stuff can be found easily by searching for it on the Internet.

But, as said, I bet your method will probably help at least some people realize they have crappy Internet connections.
    Last edited by JaytB; 05-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.

U rok, thanks!

Lady_Pebbles

I agree Jay. Lots of good info here to help ppl out.

@Apollo: Check out the linkage and pic I posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    If people would take the time to read this post
    I'd read it.

Lady, I checked out the link. Pretty sweet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I'd read it.

Lady, I checked out the link. Pretty sweet!
    I accidentally pressed save (yeah, I'm a forum Noob), but that sentence actually summed it up pretty well haha

I edited my previous message'

U rok, thanks!

Lady_Pebbles

Eh you can call me Pebbles or by my IGN "Thren".

Thanks for this thread. Its very helpful too. Great job!

Lady_Pebbles

I also found this:

http://www.webpagetest.org/traceroute

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Oh great, now he thinks he's smart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Oh great, now he thinks he's smart
    I'm assuming that was a display of you thinking you were funny/witty?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Reputation and Thanks are serious business
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,080 Posts

Gratz on Sticky, totally deserves it.

TL: |AL|DL|PL|SL|BC|BD|
    Exps :|AL|DL|PL|SL|
    Other threads here