Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INT Bear suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default INT Bear suggestions?

Does anyone have any good advice for building an INT bear? I'm working on making one and would like any tips people have regarding atribute point allocation, which skills are affected by having a lot of INT points, ect.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

My advice: Don't have an INT bear.

A lot of the answers to your questions depends on the level at which you plan to take it too. Some levels allow for Str/Int to be viable where others require Dex/Int.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

I know having an INT bear isn't the best build, but I already have several "serious" accounts, and I'd just like to have one silly character. I'm thinking of taking my bear to around level 50 and leaving him there (maybe do pvp or something, who knows). Do you think that would work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

No much to farm at 50. Best gear would be a Cosmos set with a Keeper staff (almost does more damage than a Sentinel Shotgun Set.) You will have low armor, but the high hit% from this set would allow for the Str/Int build. Also, the Keeper staff has a fire AOE so when tanking, you get a nice multi-blast to the entire group you pull into the wall.

Build:

6 rage/beckon/IB/Evade/Stomp/HS/Taunt
    4 into CB
    1 into each slash

Nit sure it is a viable PvP option against Death birds and Glowstick mages, but farming would be fun.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    No much to farm at 50. Best gear would be a Cosmos set with a Keeper staff (almost does more damage than a Sentinel Shotgun Set.) You will have low armor, but the high hit% from this set would allow for the Str/Int build. Also, the Keeper staff has a fire AOE so when tanking, you get a nice multi-blast to the entire group you pull into the wall.

Build:

6 rage/beckon/IB/Evade/Stomp/HS/Taunt
    4 into CB
    1 into each slash

Nit sure it is a viable PvP option against Death birds and Glowstick mages, but farming would be fun.
    Int/str is never a better option when it comes to int bear, int/dex is always the way to go. Only one instance I've found where int/str is a decent build is with RS helm+armor, and Mastermind gem blast staff for tanking at level 51, however I wouldn't say it was as efficient as an int/dex set up.

If you're doing PvE, as Crim said, keeper staff set is the way to go. The AoE allows for much more productive runs since you'll kill Mobs at a faster rate. However, if you're PvPing, shadow wand set (or cyber if you can't afford) is the better alternative.

As for skill build, the way to go if you're planning to PvP is:

6 Rage/Taunt/Evade/IB/Beckon/HS/CB
    4 Stomp
    1 SMS/Vengeful/Restore

You won't need stomp above 4 unless you're strictly going to be farming, in that case, you're better off with it maxed for mob clearing. However, you definitely need CB maxed if you want to do anything in PvP. Plus, one of the big bonuses for int bear is having restore be much more useful, so I'd highly recommend investing one point into it if you're planning to PvP at all.

And either way, I would recommend Int/Dex for the attributes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    Int/str is never a better option when it comes to int bear, int/dex is always the way to go. Only one instance I've found where int/str is a decent build is with RS helm+armor, and Mastermind gem blast staff for tanking at level 51, however I wouldn't say it was as efficient as an int/dex set up.

If you're doing PvE, as Crim said, keeper staff set is the way to go. The AoE allows for much more productive runs since you'll kill Mobs at a faster rate. However, if you're PvPing, shadow wand set (or cyber if you can't afford) is the better alternative.

As for skill build, the way to go if you're planning to PvP is:

6 Rage/Taunt/Evade/IB/Beckon/HS/CB
    4 Stomp
    1 SMS/Vengeful/Restore

You won't need stomp above 4 unless you're strictly going to be farming, in that case, you're better off with it maxed for mob clearing. However, you definitely need CB maxed if you want to do anything in PvP. Plus, one of the big bonuses for int bear is having restore be much more useful, so I'd highly recommend investing one point into it if you're planning to PvP at all.

And either way, I would recommend Int/Dex for the attributes.
    I actually was messing around with builds just last night and Str/Int is more viable than you think WITH a Keeper Staff set. Yes, hit and damage were slightly lower, but not as great as with other levels. Just my 2 plat.

And here was an eye-opener for me:

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-23-10-52-57.png
Views: 469
Size:  340.7 KB

VS.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-23-10-56-43.png
Views: 453
Size:  342.7 KB

Keeper staff was superior in skill damage. This was surprising to me considering how coveted the Shotty set is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I actually was messing around with builds just last night and Str/Int is more viable than you think WITH a Keeper Staff set. Yes, hit and damage were slightly lower, but not as great as with other levels. Just my 2 plat.

And here was an eye-opener for me:

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-23-10-52-57.png
Views: 469
Size:  340.7 KB

VS.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-23-10-56-43.png
Views: 453
Size:  342.7 KB

Keeper staff was superior in skill damage. This was surprising to me considering how coveted the Shotty set is.
    Staff bear almost always has highest skill damage than bow bear, why I used to always use it for farming. Demonic staff set on bear = pro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Staff bear almost always has highest skill damage than bow bear, why I used to always use it for farming. Demonic staff set on bear = pro.
    What gets me is that the Gurg hammer has VASTLY greater base damage but a lot less skill damage. Pretty much the opposite of everything I've ever heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

So from what I'm seeing, either INT/DEX or INT/STR is viable, right? Because what I've been thinking doing is always using INT weapons and headgear, and then using some STR armor and shields depending on the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

What gets me is that the Gurg hammer has VASTLY greater base damage but a lot less skill damage. Pretty much the opposite of everything I've ever heard.
    It's because different percentages of the weapon's base damage go into skill damage. 2H str weapons have a really low percentage when it comes to that. I'd have to try and do the math again, but I recall staffs used to give as much as 70% into the skill damage, whereas 2H swords delivered far less.

@Battle, I wouldn't recommend using str gear as int/str, it isn't going to be very effective at all. If you want to use str gear, simply go str/dex. Int is only a good choice if you're strictly planning to use int.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

It's because different percentages of the weapon's base damage go into skill damage. 2H str weapons have a really low percentage when it comes to that. I'd have to try and do the math again, but I recall staffs used to give as much as 70% into the skill damage, whereas 2H swords delivered far less.

@Battle, I wouldn't recommend using str gear as int/str, it isn't going to be very effective at all. If you want to use str gear, simply go str/dex. Int is only a good choice if you're strictly planning to use int.
    And bears get screwed over again. Gotta love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Any advice for what ring I should use? I've been thinking of using one of the fine bands of life to give me some health regeneration, but I'm not sure which one to use. I'm leaning toward the STR one because it has the highest regen bonus, but I've also heard the DEX ring is pretty good too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlegrinder View Post
    Any advice for what ring I should use? I've been thinking of using one of the fine bands of life to give me some health regeneration, but I'm not sure which one to use. I'm leaning toward the STR one because it has the highest regen bonus, but I've also heard the DEX ring is pretty good too.
    Rings are almost entirely opinion. Personally, I nearly always use the 2% dodge 8 armor ring on bears unless I have a dragon ring. However, you might prefer something different.

For PvP I'd say 2% dodge 8 armor ring, for PvE some might say the 2% crit 10 damage for more efficient map clearing. Just do whichever you prefer, or steal some rings off other characters you have to compare them and make a decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default INT Bear suggestions?

Now I have a Int Bear myself, as I know it isn't the best build I still seem to enjoy just as much as any other class I've played what would be a good build for PvE and would you recommend me going to level cap haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slade431 View Post
    Now I have a Int Bear myself, as I know it isn't the best build I still seem to enjoy just as much as any other class I've played what would be a good build for PvE and would you recommend me going to level cap haha
    Based on my experiance (both as an int bear and on my high level characters), I wouldn't recommend going all the way to the cap. Int bears don't have the dodge, armor, or health regen to be viable at high level. I'd recommend halting your progression somewhere before nuri's. I'd recommend stopping at AO3 in order to take advantage of the numerous pinks available at that level.

As for build, I suggest putting as many points into INT as you need to use the gear from the level you're staying at (in my case, I'm doing 137 so I can use mage blades), and then splitting the balance between STR and DEX. Skill wise, I plan to max out everything except restore and the slashes, which are pretty much useless to an int bear (restore is always a waste of points, while the slashes take such a massive hit in effectiveness that they aren't worth ranking, especially given how much better more beneficial ranking up the other skills will be). This is the same build I'm using, and so far its worked pretty we. However, I've only just gotten into AO1, so there's still 15 levels for any gaping flaws to show up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Int bears looks retarded dont make one everyone laughs at you :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finnman View Post
    Int bears looks retarded dont make one everyone laughs at you :/
    I've found people are generally willing to put up with me, and I've only had issues come up once or twice. The key is to show that you know what you're doing and can pull your weight despite having an inefficient setup. Having maxed out Rage and an AoE staff really helps people get used to the idea of an INT bear, since you can put out a lot damage that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I would say dex is the best i am it and use a bow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Str is the best. At every level

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finnman:1292680
    Str is the best. At every level
    Go full strength at levels 10-20 and tell me your result.
    And its way more levels then those 10.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..