Thread: New update is battery drainer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default New update is battery drainer.

Last night when playing the new expansion with some guild mates I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than with any other zone and quicker than it ever did with PL. I plugged my phone in and let it charge to 50% and tried to resume play. While my phone was plugged in and charging it died while playing SL. So the game is draining my battery faster than my phone can charge. How is this even possible? It takes 1 hour to fully charge my phone. Yet I can play PL for 3 hours at full battery. And was able to play SL for 2-2.5 hours before the update.

edit: I also have my screen brightness turned down to 30% and have no background apps going or any location controls on.
    Last edited by Fac3bon3s; 09-15-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Facebones & Dethklock are proud members of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not that this fixes your major drain issues but you can adjust the battery saver on the second page of the game options. I hope this is at least a temporary solution to your problem.
    Grimtigrex - "I like people who take time out of there life to help other people. Thank you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

It would be nice if the battery saver option let you know which way was better for battery consumption. To the left or right. No indications what so ever. Anyways I had it cranked to the left. Not sure if that is good or not. I will try cranked to the right and see what happens. It would be great if we the customer did not have to figure this out for ourselves. It's like a new quest. Find the best way to conserve battery.

Update: moving it to the right did nothing for battery consumption. All it did was lower my frame rate.
    Last edited by Fac3bon3s; 09-15-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

On max graphics (Battery saver off, and framerate lower) it's been doing that for me since beta, actually.

If yours dies while charging on battery saver all the way to the left, then that's a problem.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to lessen your situation. But sometimes older phone, or phones with weak batteries will drain at a high-rate - and charge at a slower rate. I haven't noticed any drains on my iphone or ipad while playing, and I can charge on the positive side if it's plugged in while playing. Just my experience and something to consider. I wish you all the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default apple recharged

Make sure you are using the Apple brand recharger plugged into the wall and not USB. I find I still gain battery charge while playing with no savings enabled on a 3GS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I'm using 2nd gen Iphone 3g. It's almost 2 years old now. And I am using the apple wall charger. I guess I will just tough it out for now until November when I get my upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fac3bon3s View Post
    Last night when playing the new expansion with some guild mates I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than with any other zone and quicker than it ever did with PL. I plugged my phone in and let it charge to 50% and tried to resume play. While my phone was plugged in and charging it died while playing SL. So the game is draining my battery faster than my phone can charge. How is this even possible? It takes 1 hour to fully charge my phone. Yet I can play PL for 3 hours at full battery. And was able to play SL for 2-2.5 hours before the update.

edit: I also have my screen brightness turned down to 30% and have no background apps going or any location controls on.
    ok, my tip android xperia play , is to turn off 3g and use wifi while its plugged in.... i played like this yesterday....still had full battery when I was done.
    its not mobile, since im pluged in....but it helps if you don't have a second battery. Xperia Play btw
    Last edited by octavos; 09-15-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Maybe it's something goin on behind the scenes in the game now that somehow is requiring more power, data or system resources which cause your battery to drain faster? Maybe something involving the connection between your device and the servers? Anything could be possible or it could just be your imagination. If this is true though, it'll be interesting to find out what.

My experience though with Android is that batteries die SUPER FAST and take FOREVER to recharge. But just my experience.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by octavos:417388
    Quote Originally Posted by Fac3bon3s View Post

ok, my tip android xperia play , is to turn off 3g and use wifi while its plugged in.... i played like this yesterday....still had full battery when I was done.
    its not mobile, since im pluged in....but it helps if you don't have a second battery. Xperia Play btw
    WiFi requires you having WiFi in your house or free WiFi in your area though. Not all of us have that luxury man.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Okay silly thing but it did affect my battery life quite a bit. Turn the GPS feature off on your device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    WiFi requires you having WiFi in your house or free WiFi in your area though. Not all of us have that luxury man.
    I had to giggle since I have the opposite problem--no cell service where I live.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I wasn't going to go into each power saving method but since we're going down that route. Most devices get a false battery read when a device is in use or is powered on, especially older devices. It's recommended you do the following; 1.Charge your device to full while it's on. 2. Power down your device. 3. Unplug charger until charging indicator (normally a light) turns off. 4. Plug in your charge and wait until the fully charged light comes on (takes a bit). Repeat steps 3 & 4 x2 in series. 5. Turn on your device and enjoy the huge gain in power longevity. If I do this I get an extra 1-2 hours depending what I'm doing. Many newer laptops have to do the same thing but normally there is software which "calibrates" the battery.
    Last edited by Orcish; 09-15-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: This falls into a separate subject but it could help.
    Grimtigrex - "I like people who take time out of there life to help other people. Thank you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi:417487
    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    I had to giggle since I have the opposite problem--no cell service where I live.
    Um, wow. I do wish I had WiFi to use. Got my first two lag spike deaths since the k/d reset yesterday, almost one after the other. I do think it's the server and not my Edge though. We only have Edge AKA 2g here, and 4g. No 3g, and 4g doesn't reach into my house so I'm always playing on max bars of 2g unless I'm outside where I get steady 4g signal.

I'm over the leaderboard since too many players now, but I still hate deaths and they make me sad. Sad enough that I put it as my Facebook status last night. Whoever gets me killed ingame, you can bet I won't be happy with them lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I find I get no better ping using wifi over my 3g network. Its more stable using wifi. But not by much. But my ping when playing PL never rose above maybe 500. In SL it can go as high as 2000. Huge spikes. Usually when a large battle is in progress.