Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
I don't know how much you know about game development, but you have to understand what an undertaking a new engine would be - well, it would take years of development. The original PL engine took about $10 million (2010 USD) and 5 years to build. There are reasons why engine licensing has been enormously helpful for Indie game development these days. Unigine is a well known example as is Unity 3D. The Crytek series of engines have also been licensed to give a few examples. I wonder if the STS engine has been licensed. I'll have to look it up when I have the time.

That being said, a new engine is possible. It would involve transferring the assets over (things like gold). Other games have done it before. The big issue isn't that though - the big issue is, is the ROI going to be worth it?
I meant the updated Engine of course.
And personally I see no need for a new Engine (at the moment) as well, it would consume too much time as you said.
I found this statement from Wikipedia interesting:
We can do that because that's our engine, and we know that we can release stable content. People ask how much we test the content, and sometimes not that much. But we know it's going to be stable, it's not going to break the servers. It might be off balance, but we release it, put up a feedback thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceti...acetime_Engine