Thread: Dex Mage Owns PVP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post
    Of course it does. The only way it would work is if you are at a close enough distance. Other wise, if the opponent is a certain number of meters away, he or she would be repulsed and potentially out of range for root to connect once the global skill cool down is done ticking. Clearly, this applies to the stomp + stun slash effect as well. The "small" delay proves to be significant in many instances.
    In addition, my argument is not limited solely to defensive combos, but it was a good example to use.
    In terms of the point you made that GCD is being slowed down for everyone, this is true, but some classes benefit more than others. Just ONE example with the issue of balance is the following scenario. Ive never seen you in the arena, but you seem like a bird guy and ill assume you have a bird. So consider a 1v1 head on situation between a dex bird and a dex mage. What makes dex mages optimal is their high hit% and of course their ability to put up a shield (i.e. effectively a stall factor). A mage sporting a shield needs 3 skills minimum (unless you have a freakish crit) to kill (factoring in auto attack and external factors like dodge). A dex mage with a mana shield up will require a blast shot from the bird to bring down the shield and then at least 2 extra skills. A bird on the other hand requires ONLY two skills from a dex mage to die. By the time a bird brings down the shield and sends one arrow to connect, you are most likely dead unless you invest in dodge and pray probability is on your side, which is the only effective way there is so far given the limitations set by the current cool down timer.

Just to add:

Good point put forth by Parth. It adds to the latter point of my explanation of why it is easy for mages to kill their opponents.
    Good points. To be honest, I PvPed in every MMO and text MUD game I've ever played. It was actually part of the criteria when I evaluated games to play whether the PvP element was there or not. PL is the first MMO that I've played where I had no desire to PvP at all and this was because the lack of a GCD. I discovered this as a noob when i first ran into trouble with a bad draw and was surrounded by mobs. I spammed all my skills and they actually all fired which immediately made me think, WTH, I can do this in PVP?

So I found the forums and researched how PvP works in PL and saw complaints about multi-touching and spamming skills and so forth and I just never pursued it after that. When I hit the level cap at 50 and I became pre-occupied with farming end game gear, I never got bored with PL. Then Shadow Caves came out and kept me entertained. Then level cap raise and BS. Now, after hitting the level cap, obtaining all the end game gear and having way more gold that I can even hope to spend, I'm starting to get bored with farming and am looking towards PvP.

I was actually looking forward to the GCD release. Maybe I had the wrong impression of what PvP was prior to GCD. My impression was that everyone made their own special combo they believed was the secret technique to killing x class and then they would get in range of each other and BOOM, everyone would launch into their almost instantaneous (or in the case of multi-touchers, instantaneous) combos and after the smoke clears, there would be a winner. Not having ever witnessed a PL PvP duel, I didn't think this would be all that fulfilling for me.

But after work today, I'll be back home on my Wi-Fi and trying my first PL PvP games. I wonder who's going to be the first to break in this virgin PvPer. Also, I wonder who's going to be the first to get angry and call me a noob. LOL
    Last edited by Kindread; 04-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando