Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Beware of rich noobs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default Beware of rich noobs

I was scammed of 100k. I think of myself as quite an intelligent fellow but even I got duped. Let me tell you all my cautionary tale.

I was chilling in travellers outpost when a noob mage asked me for help running him through maps. Being an altruistic lvl 64 warrior I agreed. We had barely started Ydra forest when he invited me to trade and showed me all these arcane artifacts and weapons. He told me he had a lvl 66 Rogue with 60 million gold and wanted to try out a mage. He asked me how much gold I had and I told him 200k and that I was saving for my first heroic pet. He asked which one and when I replied cottonkill he told me Fenris is better for a warrior and as a thank you for me running him through the maps he would buy me it.

We got to Stronghold and by this time we had been chatting quite a bit. He asked me to lend him 100k so he can buy some better gear to save him switching to his rogue account to transfer gold. I did think this was weird but then remembered he showed me all his arcane stuff - this guy is rich - why would he scam me for 100k? Also he's giving me a Fenris egg for helping him so just give him the gold - which I did.

It was after completing Tindirin that I realised I was never getting the gold back. He told me he got rich by merching and asked for my other 100k and that he would turn it into 1 million in an hour. At this point alarm bells started ringing but I played along. I told him I just spent the money on a gl item but we could continue going through the maps. He then told me he has 6000 plats but has no idea what to do with them as he has pretty much everything he wants so has started awakening items for friends - then the friend request is sent. I play along again and tell him all my equipment is fully awakened already.

He then tries AGAIN. He tells me he knows a glitch in dead city where the boss can drop an arcane crate. How does it work? Well he needs the lepre I am wearing as only he can do it because he has the arcane item needed. When I told him ok so give me the arcane he said it's not tradeable.

At this point I asked for my gold back and told him I had screenshotted everyone of his attempted scams. He refused to give me the gold back and said there is no way he can get banned as his email is not attached to his main character. I'm not sure how true that is. Surely they can find out the account that transferred him the arcane stuff. I reported him anyway and was going to post the screenshots but i think it's against the rules.

Anyway, beware the rich noob. I let greed get the best of me. I just wanted the free heroic egg. No idea why these people scam when they are rich already. Maybe they just get a kick out of it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macgreaze For This Useful Post: