Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Charge mechanic + pvp

I'm not suggesting they change arcane legends into anything that ive said.

no I'm not a developer so i don't know whats best for the game. i know people will quit arcane legends if it was molded into something different.

what's good for me doesn't mean it will necessarily be good for you. but everything that ive said allows for the game mechanics to keep growing with endless possibilities.

what they cant make up for in new mechanics they make up for in events, housing,vanities, achievements and etc. they're leaning more into things and events that have nothing to do with game mechanics.

the only examples of these style events we have so far are racing and fishing. i expect to see more of these style events in the near future. it's actually really smart and makes more sense. these events require no gear so this type of content is far more accessible.

people have said that im not trying to add upon whats currently in the game which isn't true. ive actually spent a lot of time trying and i went threw a lot of trial and error.

i had other concepts that work with whats currently in the game. but those concepts just end up stale. when i applied them and imagine the long term. i realize what i added is dead on arrival. the only time i found success is when i started to remove and reimagine/ redesign concepts.

lets go back to this video i created.

https://youtu.be/q3mVAe6C2O0

this was really hard to do because i realized there was a problem with the charge mechanic. but i threw this together for the sake of the video

you're suppose to be given 2 options Uncharged or charged.

something that bothers me about the charged mechanic is that some skills will have " if charged" built into it already. then the individual points will have " if charged" in each point. which doesn't make sense to me. mages shield is a good example of this. why would i ever tap mages shield in the 1st place?. but then when i spec into charged invul it solidifies what im going to talk about.

when you spec into anything powerful thats charge related you'll always charge your skill no matter what. if you see a point like " if charged this gives you invul for 3s " you're 100% going to pick it and charge every single time".

remember when i said you had 2 options? well you actually have 1 option although there's a choice its a obvious choice. but what happens if a player doesn't genuinely know?

even with the system being as simple as it is, it still has a lot issues. people still ask " what build should i use? or where should i put points into?" the system was designed around trying to get those type of players to make a "decision". even with all of that the system still manages to fail.

Even with what i did warcry still fails. i understand completely why it fails. but ill save that for another day.

"charging in pvp"
    i feel like i understand what they were going for with charge especially from the perspective of pvp.

Example
    during a enemies charge you might stun them or a pet passive will. or maybe when they released their fully charged skill. you might get lucky and stun the skill during the startup animation causing it to fail completely.

now add 2v2,4v4 or 5v5 to the equation everything seems good. more pets randomly stunning, freezing, paralyzing and etc. heres the thing pets dont really get to do this anymore. tbh ive always thought end game pvp was a meme because pets never really got to apply stuff for a extended period of time. it always felt like teams got nuked after a few seconds. i remember end game pvp being really unforgiving.

in pvp you have to charge before you get into whats happening. then when your in the middle of this 2v2, 4v4 or 5v5. you have to charge and you'll die during it. then when you look at the charge mechanic as a whole something doesn't seem right. at lower levels is when i started to realize what the system was created around. end game is where i realized what it failed to evolve out of.

another issue that i had with this design is how the player will begin to favor holding a charged skill. the player will preemptively charge a skill and wait for the right moment.

"keep in mind that everything im talking about has nothing to do with the current meta"

warriors heal
    youre not going to wait to charge because charging a skill takes time. so youre going to preemptively hold it untill you see you're team mates hp drop. then you'll release heal on reaction. but what happens if your team mates die so fast that you cant react with a heal? what am i suppose to react with charged jugg?

im suppose to preemptively use charged heal but if the damage in the meta is extremely high what am i suppose to do? this is extremely unforgiving. you cant react lol.

in the video i was trying to tackle the charge problem and i still think i failed. i spent like 2 weeks trying to figure it out. i went through a lot of concepts before i arrived at berserk.

take care.
    Last edited by Potofgreed; 07-12-2022 at 07:57 AM.