Currently auto attack locks on to a single target and u keep attacking it until either it has been defeated, you stop auto attack, or you switch targets.

An idea I had is that their could be more types of auto attacks and be done fluently. How to switch between auto attack can be done several ways, either through on screen interface during battles, or going to options to switch.

Some of the different auto attack idea I had though are:

Attack closest enemy too you: This would work well for bears so they can continue to auto attack (even if its not very effective) without chasing in order for it too be useful. Often as a bear I don't even bother auto attacking because with beckon + stomping all the time, your more worried about getting into correct position rather than attacking.

Attack enemy with smallest amount of health in weapon range:
I often find myself wanting to switch targets to one with less health to quickly get rid of that mob, I would see this particularly useful for range weapons.

Attack mob targeting Bearr: For mages and birds this would be great to help avoid getting aggro.

Sure there are other ideas, this is just to show more options would indeed be useful.