Thread: Can you make it a bit harder to level?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doot View Post
    And how is it hurting people to extend the value of a game for players with something to reach for? This game is a grindfest. Let's be realistic. Casual players don't care about hitting the level cap. If they did, they wouldn't be casual players.

Your free time is relative. How long did it take you to hit 24?
    What or who gave you the power to dictate whether or not a casual player wants to hit lv cap? I play 1/2 hours a day during lunch (slack off at work to post on forums) and I want to react lv cap, does that mean I'm a hardcore player? Moreover, how do you define a "casual player"? Does posting on this forum make me hardcore because I care to make my opinions heard?

And yes, some of us are being sensible and realistic. This game is a grindfest. Some of us don't particular care for this type of gameplay. IMO, its lazy design. It's been tried and done to death. Just because something works doesn't mean it is "fun". ("fun is relative to the user experience, I get that)

Take trasportation for example: since the dawn of time, we've been able to move about just fine on our own two legs. Why then did we find the need to invent the wheel? It was because we needed to get around using other methods, we relied on our wits to enriched a very mundane action. Innovation thru the use of intelligence was what seperated us from the animals.

"Design" in itself borrows from this very same principal. You can't re-invent the wheel, but nothing is stopping you from improving upon it.

You're sure that slowing level progression won't do anything for this game. You're solely speaking for yourself, you realize?
    You're sure that making level progression slower will do anything for this game. You're solely speaking for yourself, you realize?

What was your point again? lol

At the moment, yes, slowing level progression will absolutely extend the longevity of the game. At this stage in the game's lifespan, it's one of the few things you can do to extend the longevity of the game. Do you expect the devs to implement new maps daily? Weekly? Grinding is an annoyance to you, but not to the millions of people that have purchased RPGs over the years. It's an absolute joy to others, and if you don't believe that, you are naive.

Your idea about doing away with leveling has nothing to do with my post and is a very strange idea. New levels are obviously a treat for everyone, and the devs have been knocking them out, in my opinion.

This game is new. Give it time.
    I think it was back in 97' when I first got my hands on a Kr Beta MMO called Lineage. For weeks, I sat infront of my CRT monitor for a unhealthy period of time starring at the rationation emitting device, grinding mobs to react an unattanable lv cap. (because there was none) It was a joy...a decade ago.

And please pardon my inability to explain anything, I thought I said that leveling is still required because it gives the player some sort of progression. I didnt say to do away with it, I just think it's irrelevant. Personally, I am not smart enough to find or design a better system to replace it.

And also, based on your suggestion and feedback, I came up with a new concept for Monopoly:

Don't give anyone any money at the start of the game.
    Roll "pass go" for a few hours til someone is rich enough to buy a property.
    When you land on someone's property, u only pay 10% of the cost of the land value.
    Rinse. Repeat. Lather (if needed)

Good times.

In your words, grinding in itself is a tried and true mechanic that "millions of people" have previously enjoyed. I believe it. Not a tedious nor mundane thing to do. My previous comments were totally naive.

Do you expect the devs to implement new maps daily? Weekly?
    No, I don't want new maps everyday/week. I want to know that the next map pack I buy is thought out. I want my next map pack to implement more then a re-skinned dungeon with the same types of enemies. I want more then just another lv cap increase or a better weapon. I want something different, not something I've done already. I expect that the boss at the end of the stage looks and play different.

Did I make myself crystal clear?
    Last edited by Shinrai; 04-19-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: to make myself crystal clear