Thread: Advice for an SL Engineer expert but PL mage noob?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Advice for an SL Engineer expert but PL mage noob?

I have a level 26 Engineer in SL (and a 25 commando and 25 operative). I feel I know the Engineer class very well, and am active on the SL boards with my builds and advice.

Looking for a bit of a shortcut to knowledge here in PL, now that we have guilds and I'm here with my guild. Really appreciate any advice you can offer.

So the bottom line is that I love the Engineer class, like the Operative class, and am "meh" about the Commando class. I play my Engineer for team support, but of course SL you can be a support (heals and buffs) engy and also do pretty wicked AOE damage against mobs with maxed Transferrence. However, Engy in SL is very straightforward: you want pure INT, as much Dodge as you can muster, and the highest base damage weapon to give your heals and damage skills as much zing as possible. This means using rifles instead of the class-specific engineer gloves.

I should also point out that I'm only interested in PvE. So please advise with that in mind. PUGs for the lower/mid levels while catching up with my high-level guildies, then probably nothing but guild exp and farming groups as I approach the higher levels.

What I'm confused about re PL mage is the choice between pure INT mage and "pally" (STR/INT) or "hybrid" (DEX/INT). Given what I've said I like about the SL Engineer class and the way I like to play it (and hopefully based on your own knowledge of both SL and PL and the difference/similarities), can you recommend which mage approach I might enjoy best? And then can you supplement that with a typical mid-level skill build and end-game skill build? Finally, wand and shield or staff; which is best once you get to level 20 and have the choice, given the mage type you recommend.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Last edited by shannong; 09-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    SL: Katsumi/Katsumii/Katsumiii | Knights of Cydonia
    PL: Ohanadesu | Knights of Cydonia