Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
That sucks, Bodmaster Sorry to hear you've lost your job.

Long story short, I was laid off from the Dev Studio I was working at back in Jan of 2010. I got involved in doing contract Community Work which led to me meeting Gary Gattis (Spacetime CEO) at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference and I started doing contract work for them. Fast forward a year later and I was hired full time by Gary to the position I have now at Spacetime.

So, while I know it stings be laid off now, you are alive, kicking and the future is full of possibilities. Focus on the positive. Get out there and network. Volunteer or otherwise help out with something you're interested or passionate about and see what doors open up.
Cheers Sam! Wow that was a pretty well turnout for meeting JustG under those circumstances, im sure that your work didn't go unnoticed then, and the hard work you show is astounding! He's lucky to have found you as you him.

Funny you should mention that, also been thinking about going down this route. Was advised to pop down to the local College or Uni and enquire about helping around as a volunteer helping foreigners (Meaning First Language not English) with computer skills etc, like a beginners course, and see if that leads to any openings. In my job I gained numerous qualifications, including Information, Advise and Guidance, and Preparing To Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) both in which will help me along this route if I do decide to.

As for Interest and Passion, its helping people, knowing that your guidance can better something no matter what. Another is Weight Training/Fitness, when in the course for PTLLS, I had to put together training materials (in which I had a night to come up with) for a quick Training lesson of your choice, I picked 'How to train at home, without having the luxury of going to the gym' After the session with people that do this for a living (10-15 of them to critique) I was surprised on the feedback given! Pretty much everyone there said I had a passion for this and could Teach/Train this subject for a career/living.

Thanks again guys, this is just what I was hoping to achieve on making this thread, you've all been great and given some awesome advise, that all will be taken into consideration moving forward!