Thread: Building the Ultimate Tank!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Building the Ultimate Tank!

First, my intention with this thread is to gather the thoughts and experiences of fellow warrior tanks in order to combine our knowledge to help each other build "the ultimate tank". Please feel free to disagree with any of my statements for I do not have unlimited bankroll to respec a gazillion times to test out every possible build.

After playing a tank in WoW for some years now, whenever I play a game now I always look for that "meat shield" class to play and master. At first, the warrior was the weakest of the three classes due to it's inability to fill it's dedicated role as tank. After a much needed buff, warriors can now take on large groups of mobs without fear of faceplanting after two hits.

Let's take a look of skills that seem to be tailor made for a tank:
    1.) Stomp - I hate knockbacks in most games. They make tanking difficult and I want to punch a dps in the face whenever I see them use a kb effect. In PL, this is different. Stomp is decent by itself. It provide mitigation in the fact that of no melée mobs are near you, they obviously can't attack you. Also, the newly added stun helps push ranged away and stops them for a few seconds. "But, Toddrick, don't you want the mobs to be on you if you are tanking?" Yes, you do, but stomp provides decent threat and you can kb enemies away from where your dps/healers are standing if they pull threat. Lastly, Stomp provides a great combination (no, not one of those COMBOS that light up your screen) with another skill you get later down the road.

2.) Taunt - This skill seems like it may need some tweaking. Currently it taunts mobs to attack you for about 2 seconds until you dps rains death upon them and pulls them off you. The dodge buff is nice and I currently use this as my opener when running into a group.

3.) Restore - Have not tested this due to reading that it's terrible and that chugging a health pot yields better results. Has anyone used this with great success?

4.) Iron Blood - Pop this skill and you can sit there for 10 seconds and pretty much not worry about taking damage. Great mitigation and supposedly adds threat now accord to patch notes.

5.) Hell Scream - The description is a little misleading. It says something about screaming at enemies and lowering their will to fight. Continue reading and it says target enemy does -x damage. I guess this is useful for bosses but I am still insure if I will be keeping it after a respec.

6.) Evade - Some people swear this over taunt. Some swear taunt over this. Some say that this isn't even worth it at all anymore. I may test this in a future build but was looking for any insight from those who have tested this.

7.) Beckon - Whenever is use this all I can think of is Scorpion from Mortal Combat. "Get over here!" This skill does two things. One, it pulls surrounding mobs to you. Two, it has a chance to stun the mobs. This is the second piece to our tanking combo which I will explain next.

Stomp + Beckon: Stunned mobs are good mitigation.
    Run up to a group of mobs and stomp them away. You take minimal damage. A few of those mobs should be stunned. Personally, I try to target any casters/ranged and auto attack so I can create and even bigger gap between me and some of the melée I sent flying. Beckon everything back to you AFTER stomp's stun wears off. Now a portion of the mobs are stunned again. Wait until beckon's stun wears off and LOOK! Stomp is now off cooldown also. Rinse, repeat, enjoy.

The Build:
    5/5 Stomp
    5/5 Iron Blood
    5/5 Hell Scream
    5/5 Beckon

This leaves 9 free skill points. In am considering doing 5/5 Evade 4/5 Taunt and forgetting about restore and using all that extra gold to buy health pots.

Stats:
    Str - Meet the str requirement for your gear (I believe 93 is required at lvl 25)
    Dex - Everything else. Dex gives you hit, crit, dodge and armor which makes it really good. Getting your str gear capped will give you a decent health pool and regen.
    Int - Zilch, nada, zero, goose egg. Drink a mana pot and then break the empty flask over a mob's face.

Thanks for reading and replying with any suggestions.
    Last edited by Toddrick; 04-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.