When the game first came out you had to assign all the skill points you got from the get-go, but as I've understood it this was changed at some point to auto-assign one point to your first four skills because many new players weren't aware of skill point assignment.

While this change makes total sense to help out those who are completely new to the game, it's a bit more annoying to those of us who are familiar with the game when we start a new character. I just started playing a Warrior, and being aware of what all the 12 skills are, there were some of the first four skills that I didn't want to spend skill points on. But now the game doesn't give you a choice, except to buy a respec which I think most of us would agree is excessive to do at that early stage.

So what I'd like to suggest is a form of "Mini-Respec" that kicks in when you hit Level 8. Once you've leveled up to 8, if you then go to the Skills page, maybe there could be a "Reset Skill Points" button that shows up just below the "Increase Skill Rank" button, and tapping it would blank your first four skills and allow you re-assign the 7 skill points you've used/gotten so far, or save them for later.

The "Reset Skill Points" button would ONLY show while you're Level 8 and could only be used once, so if you hit Level 9 and didn't opt to use it, the button goes away and you effectively forfeited your chance to reset. In other words, it wouldn't be a free respec you could save for when you're Level 30, it'd only work while you're Level 8 in order to give you full control over your skill points.

This would allow new players to be able to use skills before they've learnt about assigning skill points, and it would allow those of us who are aware of skill points to use all our points as we wish. Ideally we'd be able to assign our points however we chose from the get go, but this is the best compromise I can think of.