Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Ole' Crim's idea of PvE Vs. PvP Gear

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Actually, for those makng fun of the idea, STS has begun the process by loweing damage to sets when used in PvP. Now, if there was an adjustment to all areas in the same manner, we have Will's solution. Doesn't seem far fetched to me at all.

@Cuard - Let's try sticking to one forum account. If you want this account for trolling, then we can help fix that problem. Just let me know.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Lel bad idea...
    L76 AcexLuffyBird , L61 AcexluffyBehr , L56 AcexluffyMage , L50 AcexluffyBear , L40 AcexluffyTank , L40 AcexLuffyFox , L25 AcexluffyHorn ... Want more alts ... ???

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorWabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Actually, for those makng fun of the idea, STS has begun the process by loweing damage to sets when used in PvP. Now, if there was an adjustment to all areas in the same manner, we have Will's solution. Doesn't seem far fetched to me at all.

@Cuard - Let's try sticking to one forum account. If you want this account for trolling, then we can help fix that problem. Just let me know.
    Was the damage nerf only applied to sets? I thought it was total stats? So if I don't use a 'set' will I not be nerfed?

It seem easier to adjusts stats across the board as you enter a pvp zone rather than adjusting all the available gear. I think it could easily be tweaked for each class as well.

Don't get me wrong I would like gear to be nerfed and I still pray for something to happen to the Beastly/Savage set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angeldawn View Post
    Was the damage nerf only applied to sets? I thought it was total stats? So if I don't use a 'set' will I not be nerfed?

It seem easier to adjusts stats across the board as you enter a pvp zone rather than adjusting all the available gear. I think it could easily be tweaked for each class as well.

Don't get me wrong I would like gear to be nerfed and I still pray for something to happen to the Beastly/Savage set.
    Isn't it technically the same thing? You have gear equipped but your damage/buffs/debuffs/etc. have been lowered. It is essentially the same concept without STS making the extra effort for two seperate sets. Hope that makes sense, I have had a rough few days.

Also, all this talk of Savage getting nerf will lead Crim to quitting. The sole purpose of all sets, not just strength, is for the class to make use of their class as a "pure." If bears were pure, the damage from Savage wouldn't be as noticable as we would hardly ever land a hit. The other issue is it's over-use. It is time we raise the attribute points needed to equip gear in the same manner Elite weapons were raised. Either thatcor bears need a buff added to increase hit%... Again, not at all attacking you Angel. I just don't think people really think these things through.
    @DocWabbit - Thank you for such in depth, constructive feedback. I am sure it took you a few seconds to construct that response.
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 09-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Isn't it technically the same thing? You have gear equipped but your damage/buffs/debuffs/etc. have been lowered. It is essentially the same concept without STS making the extra effort for two seperate sets. Hope that makes sense, I have had a rough few days.

Also, all this talk of Savage getting nerf will lead Crim to quitting. The sole purpose of all sets, not just strength, is for the class to make use of their class as a "pure." If bears were pure, the damage from Savage wouldn't be as noticable as we would hardly ever land a hit. The other issue is it's over-use. It is time we raise the attribute points needed to equip gear in the same manner Elite weapons were raised. Either thatcor bears need a buff added to increase hit%... Again, not at all attacking you Angel. I just don't think people really think these things through.
    @DocWabbit - Thank you for such in depth, constructive feedback. I am sure it took you a few seconds to construct that response.
    Every time I read one of your posts I feel like I gain a PL IQ point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

I understand the end result in a pvp zone is the same. But nerfing gear vs stats or skills are two completely different things. By saying they nerfed sets one could think that the damage nerf was only to sets and by wearing non set items the damage nerf would not apply. Then ppl might start looking for other gear to wear to avoid the nerf. This is also why I think it is better to nerf toon stats rather than gear.

I'm sorry you have had a few rough days. Come here, let me give u hug

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Its called I forgot my old info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

I didn't take it as an attack

I some what agree with this and I see your point easily. My problem with savage set is other classes besides bears using it and becoming nearly invincible to pure toons. I have also said multiple times that I think if you wear gear not specific to your toon the stats should be lowered so you don't get the full benefit of the set.

I haven't been on much since the damage nerf but I am told Pallys can take on two opponents at once and continually dominate and survive. I see this as a problem.

So if nerfing savage is a no no to you. What would be your quick fix solution? I don't know if raising the required stats would actually prevent that many mages from wearing savage. I guess it would depend on how high of a stat.

Guardian of Alterra Chickenrunnn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

They nerfed weapons in PvP only.

Isn't that the same as making separate gear PvP/PvE?

End game PvP/CtF is way funnier now end game :]
    GUIDES : | Devs & Mods | PvP | CTF | CS | Promo Codes |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angeldawn View Post
    I didn't take it as an attack

I some what agree with this and I see your point easily. My problem with savage set is other classes besides bears using it and becoming nearly invincible to pure toons. I have also said multiple times that I think if you wear gear not specific to your toon the stats should be lowered so you don't get the full benefit of the set.

I haven't been on much since the damage nerf but I am told Pallys can take on two opponents at once and continually dominate and survive. I see this as a problem.

So if nerfing savage is a no no to you. What would be your quick fix solution? I don't know if raising the required stats would actually prevent that many mages from wearing savage. I guess it would depend on how high of a stat.
    As I have said in a few other threads:

1. Raise the base stats like they did it with Elite weapons. Pretty sure we won't see many pallies and/or warbirds with 73% hit running around.

2. Bears Rage should be changed to decrease the damage by half (from 90 to 45) and give us a boost in hit% like foxes and rhinos recieve. Now that I am almost to endgame with my rhino, being pure strength is actually viable because my hit% is actually raised to 100% through one of my buffs. I can absolutely live with that. As I was saying, a hybrid bear is deadly not because of the set, but because of the ability to dual spec. Dex only adds to the overall damage of the set and this is why the strength sets seem to be "op."

Guardian of Alterra Chickenrunnn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

2. Bears Rage should be changed to decrease the damage by half (from 90 to 45) and give us a boost in hit% like foxes and rhinos recieve. "
    But then PvPing at lower level with bears will have to RIP :[
    GUIDES : | Devs & Mods | PvP | CTF | CS | Promo Codes |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

It's been done before in WoW.

There is a very serious drawback though:

It leaves a very high barrier of entry to new players because they can only get their PvP gear by well, PvPing. And it leaves PvE largely inaccessible to PvP types. There is also the issue of balancing both sets relative to each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

I hate to compare pl to a complete different game but in WoW / World of Warcraft, when you pvp.. You earn honor points for killing people and winning the match or finishing it, winning gives more points. After the game you may have about 200 honor points or 60 depending on your level, higer lvl pvp gives more. When you receive enough points you are able to trade those points in for a piece of armor. The difference between PvP and PvE armor in that game is that PvP impliments resilience, which provides increased armor against other opponents, so ie they do less damage to you. There are more differences but that is definitely the biggest one.

I think it would be a great idea because this would make PvP much more fun and have something to actually stride for, because all you get out of PvP atm is just kills, which gets boring.. Everyone wants to get recognized for their achievements and show them off.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    It's been done before in WoW.

There is a very serious drawback though:

It leaves a very high barrier of entry to new players because they can only get their PvP gear by well, PvPing. And it leaves PvE largely inaccessible to PvP types. There is also the issue of balancing both sets relative to each other.
    Hmm, I understand your point, but I think WoW can't always be compared to a small MMO like Pocket Legends. The variety in gear is relatively low - farming the gear is easy. I'm not quite sure how this would apply to PL, but I may be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The issues are simple:

1. Balancing the PvE and PvP gear relative to each other. Unless you want to make PvE gear not usable in PvP and vice-versa (in which case you have put huge barriers up for new players), the issue becomes, which set is better overall? That's the set that people will gravitate towards. I hate be so blunt, but so far, STS has not done a good job of balancing the 3 sets in PvP in any tier. Also, at any given twink range, it's common now to see 1 class/build that is OP. This is a sign of balancing issues. Endgame has very powerful strength sets right now. Adding 6 sets wouldn't just double the complexity, it would increase it geometrically. Once the most potent set is decided, if it turned out that the best set is in PvP, PvEers who do not PvP will be ticked.

2. How does a person obtain PvP gear? Through PvP by killing? That will encourage kill farming. Through CTF? Flag farming. By spending time in PvP? This will create open locked Forest Fights with 1 person in them.

3. Why is PvE gear better in PvE and PvP better in PvP? WoW added specific stats to address this and made PvP gear deficient in PvE deliberately. Unless there is a clear reason why, people will choose the better set.

4. Also, this would mean going back retrospectively and adding twinking PvP gear. This in turn would require re-balancing on the twinks part, which I do not think STS is willing to take the time to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoeqt View Post
    I hate to compare pl to a complete different game but in WoW / World of Warcraft, when you pvp.. You earn honor points for killing people and winning the match or finishing it, winning gives more points. After the game you may have about 200 honor points or 60 depending on your level, higer lvl pvp gives more. When you receive enough points you are able to trade those points in for a piece of armor. The difference between PvP and PvE armor in that game is that PvP impliments resilience, which provides increased armor against other opponents, so ie they do less damage to you. There are more differences but that is definitely the biggest one.

I think it would be a great idea because this would make PvP much more fun and have something to actually stride for, because all you get out of PvP atm is just kills, which gets boring.. Everyone wants to get recognized for their achievements and show them off.
    Yes that is true. This is how WoW does it. But in PL, how to distinguish PvE and PvP armor? People will go for the best set if the stats are similar as I indicated.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it could be done. But execution is key and this will involve a lot of effort. So far, STS has not been willing to show that effort. Poorly executed, this could worsen the existing PvP balance issues. Worse, it would not just affect PvP. The gear effects could spill over to PvE. Certain classes and builds could be rendered worthless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Yes that is true. This is how WoW does it. But in PL, how to distinguish PvE and PvP armor? People will go for the best set if the stats are similar as I indicated.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it could be done. But execution is key and this will involve a lot of effort. So far, STS has not been willing to show that effort. Poorly executed, this could worsen the existing PvP balance issues. Worse, it would not just affect PvP. The gear effects could spill over to PvE. Certain classes and builds could be rendered worthless.[/QUOTE]

What they could do is implement what they have done in WoW before, once again I hate to compare them two together but it was a good idea in my opinion. You can make a complete set of a class for less points to make it the greater class. So what I'm saying is their is a 'vicious' and 'gladiator' sets, vicious being the worse set and gladiator the better. They can make it required to get the lesser set and then get points for the gladiator set.

Say you wanted the gladiator set, you would have to spend say 800 honor points to get the viciou helm but to get the gladiator helm you would have to trade the vicious helm + 1200 points for it. They could make it more since its the best set and it should't be easy to get the sets. The sets should have a totally different look than the other sets to give them that distinguish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aoeqt View Post

What they could do is implement what they have done in WoW before, once again I hate to compare them two together but it was a good idea in my opinion. You can make a complete set of a class for less points to make it the greater class. So what I'm saying is their is a 'vicious' and 'gladiator' sets, vicious being the worse set and gladiator the better. They can make it required to get the lesser set and then get points for the gladiator set.

Say you wanted the gladiator set, you would have to spend say 800 honor points to get the viciou helm but to get the gladiator helm you would have to trade the vicious helm + 1200 points for it. They could make it more since its the best set and it should't be easy to get the sets. The sets should have a totally different look than the other sets to give them that distinguish.

That's not the issue. The real issue is that WoW of course has differences between raiding and PvP gear. Gemming is different, enchants are different, reforges are sometimes different. But most importantly of all, PvP gear has resilience and PvP Power. PL doesn't have any of that.

Let's say that crafted pinks becomes the equal to heroic raiding gear. What makes it an inferior choice to PvP gear? It'll come down to allocation of stats unless something like resilience and PvP Power are added.