Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanking Obsolete for Pve Bears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Im really going have to disagree with on this one. My main is a bear and just like Suntv stated in the above post, I also consider my primary goal to be crowd control. Taunt, beckon to walls, stomp. This keeps the the enemies on me so the mages and birds can do their damage. With a decent group, u can cut the time of running through a level in half. Its better for 76ers who doesn't need the xp and just want to farm, and better (quicker) for those who do need it. The assumption that bears or tanking is obsolete is kind of silly, im sorry.

Now the problem I believe, is in that most bears dont understand crowd control. They dont know their role in the group and try to compete with the mages and birds for kills. Then its a scatter party, added to the mages firestorm combo. And when there's 2 or more bears in the party, good luck, 3 or more bears, its a nightmare. Thats the general assumption. Also could be a reason u get booted.
    Most bears dont like playing with other bears but I dont have a problem. Even like it when its a good bear, we can work together. Ahh, like the old mt fang days, lol. Some bear buddies and I would do what we call, "ping pong". We'd stay on opposite sides of the hall n beckon/stomp the mobs back and forth. Fun times, fun times.
    Now as for dragon slayer? Id need my own posting for that lol, coming soon tho.

Just my two cents, is all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

killinclaw is exactly, precisely correct:
    "Now the problem I believe, is in that most bears dont understand crowd control. They dont know their role in the group and try to compete with the mages and birds for kills. "

As a bear, you are there to bunch mobs up so mages and birds can come come over and zap them while they're stunned.

I dislike partying with other bears, mainly because most display little common sense. One bear has to be dominant - and that would be the lvl 76 on a thrasher. I can't count how many times a little 67 bear with no lixir will race me for pulls in feast, scattering all over and barely doing any damage - when if they'd let me pull first, the whole group (that survived) would be up against a wall with slivers of life remaining. It's that kind of stupidity that gets bears booted.

I have played with bears who know what they're doing - and "leapfrogging" pulls one after the other is deadly and crazy fun as mobs go flying everywhere, dead.

The problem is most random bears don't know how to play with another bear - in fact, far too many have no clue about crowd control as killinclaw stated, and nothing slows a party down more than a scatterbear.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyranno- For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

I love playing with Ty; he rustles mobs like he owns the map.

-Incessantly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

The ONLY time a scatter bear is useful is when there are to many enemies and you need to limit that amount to let your team heal and buff up.

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    Thereʻs two major issues with the current way bears in the game are implemented; Most maps (predominately endgame) arenʻt conducive to tanking, and most bears donʻt know how to tank effectively.

A good bear can make do with a map thats not conducive to tanking, so long as his team cooperates with him, however if the bear is no good in the first place then no amount of help will make him any better. Another major issue is that people who donʻt tank as their main donʻt see the value in the bear/tanking class, and as such they donʻt work as a team with the tank or just boot them all together.
    The issue is that good bears are desperately in short supply. Most maps are not conductive to tanking, but I think that most good bears could work with it. The biggest issue is that that first, most players today to not know what makes a good bear, having never seen a good bear. This is a chicken and egg type of problem. The other is that without good bears existing, there is no opportunity for new bears to learn.

Another issue is that a bear is perhaps the only class that can seriously hurt a team. By stomping things all over the place, they can prevent classes with good AOE from ever reaching their potential. It's not at all like good bears that know that their job is to gather and stomp into a wall, leaving the targets vulnerable to AOE.