Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not seven skills?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lightbulb Why not seven skills?

Hey, I'm wondering, why the most people say, that we should have 4 (max 5) skills, and the rest should go into passive? After maaaany respecs my build now is:

Fireball - max
    Lightning Strike - without Electrical Discharge and Shock (w/out charged skills)
    Gale Force - without Speed of Wind and Weighted Wind
    Frost Bolt - without Arctic Shatter
    Arcane Shield - without Displacement Wave
    Time Shift - without Time Bomb
    Lifegiver - Empower only.
    Passive: Knowledge and Might max.

So now tell me, does the 25 dexterity and 5% damage (or any other passive) compensate loss of any skill? Which sorc will clear mobs from dungeon faster, assuming they both have Fire, Clock and Shield. Will it be the one with Lightning and 25 dex + 5% dmg, or the one with Gale? And while fighting boss, which sorc will deal more damage, the one with Fire + Ice + Clock, or maybe the 7-skill sorc will be better (fire + lightning + ice)?

Yes, I know I lose some numbers in profile, but still I will deal more damage, because I'm able to perfectly fit into situation, not to mention about supporting party...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I'm with you. I have similar build (only using curse instead of Gale).

This is all around build. Fits good to every situation, but perfectly to none. I think that people always speak form specific perspective: elite runners, pvp-ers, etc. Nonetheless, I found this build most fun to play cause I can use different skills in different siuations and fun is what I am looking for in AL.

Cheers.
    We reached the bottom of the crises but don't worry - we are still digging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vjerevica View Post
    Fits good to every situation, but perfectly to none.
    I can't agree with that. Since when 25 DEX and 5% dmg will make me perfect sorc? It is like saying, that sorc with Colton is not perfect, because Samael gives additional 5 int, 10% crit and 100 hp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

The dex and damage passives make a huge difference in how fast mobs drop. Especially when you run 4 attack skills only(fire, ice, lightning and clock) those passives are extremely noticeable. With the setup I use its like releasing the wrath of god on my enemies.

Only problem I run into is that alpha wolf. His reflect shield means I OHKO myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yea, everybody say that, huge diffrence, but I personally never noticed this 'huge' difference, Yes, with passives I deal slightly more dmg, but bigger difference is when you have 3 AoE skills in tombs. THAT makes a difference.

Edit:

I did some tests. I recorded my times on wt1, with Meep-Moop (20 DEX and 8% crit), and without pet. And you are right, there is a difference.

Average time without pet: 2min, 6 sec, 977ms
    Average time with pet: 2 min, 0 sec, 422ms

5,4% difference.
    Last edited by Cthulhu Fhtagn; 09-30-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Lol I use 4 attack skills only. 3 isn't enough for me. Without the dex and damage passives you won't be useful to most pve teams since you wont be putting that much damage out. Trust me I could prob beat the same stage twice in the time it takes you to beat it once with the build you have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wutzgood View Post
    Lol I use 4 attack skills only. 3 isn't enough for me. Without the dex and damage passives you won't be useful to most pve teams since you wont be putting that much damage out. Trust me I could prob beat the same stage twice in the time it takes you to beat it once with the build you have.
    And with the same gear i guess?
    I'm not saying that 4 atack skills are something bad, I can do the same tests with yours skill set, IT DOES NOT MATTER. What I'm saying, is that this 2 passives (DEX and damage in my case) are not making 'huge difference', and it is better to pick some other active skills, to better fit in the situation and better support other players.
    I'm saying also, that I can pick the same skill set as yours, and with the same gear and pet you will clear tomb ONLY 5-7% faster. And that is not worth 10 skill points in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Even with the same equip you it won't matter. You will kill mobs alot slower. Also what level are you? Damage makes a huge difference at level 36. For me 5% damage=around 22 points extra damage. That's a huge amount. Don't know the exact amount 25 dex gives but I ran a ton of respec and it was a big difference as well. Even running 5 skills lowers your effectiveness. 7 is laughable.
    Last edited by Wutzgood; 09-30-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Mistype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

I'm a rogue so sorry to butt in on your conversation but... i run with 6 skills. if there were a seventh i could find a really good use for and make it work i would use it.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wish we had 5 skill slots at least 6 preferablly but for now switch skills for what situation your in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Even with the same equip you it won't matter. You will kill mobs alot slower.

Yes, with 5% more damage, you will kill mobs 5% faster. Your time will be +/- 5% better. On 36 level this 5% won't magically grow to, idk, 15%. It will be still 5%. This is not "alot".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

I'm with you as well, except I have all 8 ;-) A cursed enemy goes down 3x faster, especially in Shuyal and elites (I'm just starting elites, though).
    I would also consider getting 5% speed before STR, because I get often 1-hitted (with 5 STR anyway) at the very edge of a boss's red zone (so speed might help).
    I'm gonna do some experiments with a speed pet first. Perhaps it just takes practice.

I cannot tell if it's the best build ever, but it sure is fun to play (not so sure it's fun to play *with* me though )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    I'm a rogue so sorry to butt in on your conversation but... i run with 6 skills. if there were a seventh i could find a really good use for and make it work i would use it.
    ^^ If one of the most successful elite farming rogues can kick serious leaderboard butt with 6 skills, a sorcerer surely can do the same. 7 is a bit much for my taste though haha.

When I didn't have much plat to respec, I used to run 5 skills to "do everything" in pvp and pve. Yes, you have to sacrifice some passive points but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

@OP - You can easily chop your build to 6 skills if you ditch Lifegiver. Yes, you'll get called out in PUGs by lazy warriors and rogues, but hey that's two more points for your other abilities. I've been playing rogue more than sorc lately and get a little laugh every time another rogue or warrior refuses to pot. So they run around with 0 MP and nag about no healing, while the sorc and I keep on rolling (while potting). It's no big deal to be honest. The bulk of endgame isn't about running normal mode with PUGs anyway.
    Last edited by Yakiniku; 10-01-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I'm too talkative
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

@Yakiniku: Yea, I'm not using lifegiver very often, but I like this skill, and it is only 2 points

@Milan Lame Man: Before last changes in Gale, I was using this skill to escape red zones, and with armor boost it was (sometimes) enough to easily stay alive fighting elite bosses. But now I had to give up speed upgrade, because of this stupid dash. My friends, that have warrior char, kinda resolve this problem by picking Rally Cry, thanks to free respec I'm still using Gale to do some AoE damage, but without speed it's not the same I hope they will fix this (I dream of uncharged dash and charged speed bonus)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu Fhtagn View Post
    Yes, with 5% more damage, you will kill mobs 5% faster. Your time will be +/- 5% better. On 36 level this 5% won't magically grow to, idk, 15%. It will be still 5%. This is not "alot".
    Ok now I'm curious to see how faster. I can solo the kraken mines 3 in around 6 1/2 mins and kill all the enemies. How long does it take you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ok now I'm curious to see how faster. I can solo the kraken mines 3 in around 6 1/2 mins and kill all the enemies. How long does it take you?
    You missed the information about your gear and pet. I will tell you how fast I can solo km3, when I will get exact the same gear as yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yakiniku View Post
    ^^ if one of the most successful elite farming rogues can kick serious leaderboard butt with 6 skills, a sorcerer surely can do the same. 7 is a bit much for my taste though haha. :d

when i didn't have much plat to respec, i used to run 5 skills to "do everything" in pvp and pve. Yes, you have to sacrifice some passive points but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

@op - you can easily chop your build to 6 skills if you ditch lifegiver. Yes, you'll get called out in pugs by lazy warriors and rogues, but hey that's two more points for your other abilities. i've been playing rogue more than sorc lately and get a little laugh every time another rogue or warrior refuses to pot. So they run around with 0 mp and nag about no healing, while the sorc and i keep on rolling (while potting). It's no big deal to be honest. The bulk of endgame isn't about running normal mode with pugs anyway.
    mana!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    mana!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    ^^ Lol. Yo mage, where's my mana?
    Airys <Average Joes>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakiniku View Post
    ^^ Lol. Yo mage, where's my mana?
    I don't think that guy got it when I yelled HOR at him hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Ok I must not have ran it since hitting 36. Just ran it in 4:59 with Clyde. Equip was:

Architect armor of grace level 36
    Architect pylon of brutality level 36
    Ruby band of brutality level 36
    Leprechaun amulet

That was killing all 3 bosses and also taking the right tunnel with only mobs.
    Last edited by Wutzgood; 10-01-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Add on