Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Negative Gold Count Mystery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadCastle View Post
    Zeus:

Thanks, yea I sent them email. I don't really want my gold back, even if I lost more than I think. I more like want this issue no longer to occur to allow me use mi bird again. Now, im nearly affreid to check in my completed sales you know By the way, I am pretty curious about your theory you mentioned, would you mind to share it? maybe Ill find the source of my bug aswell.

Others:

I'd like to ask you all not to bring discussion about PL shields here. You already messed few threads with this, so please go back to the original thread (since you feel you still have something smart to say about that matter), instead of glutting other thread with still the same posts. Thank you!
    My theory is that somehow, you might be overloading the values that the stash can take. My friend had this problem with her AL account, but the only thing was that in her case it was platinum. She actually spent too much platinum and the account couldn't handle it & so blocked her out from logging in like her account didn't exist. The game actually lost her account!

I feel like the same thing might be happening here, but in a different manner. I know in computer programming, certain variables can hold certain amount of values. If you exceed them, they will randomly return anything - in some cases - negative numbers. So, that might be what's happening here.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Zeus;

An interesting theory for sure. So as I understand, you say that the number of times the value of gold in inventory can be succesfully overwritten is limmited? Thats surprising for me, as not very skilled programmer I haven't met any variable, which would have overwriting limmits unless I force modify some variable to behave like that (and I'm not even sure if I could do this). But if this was true then what strikes me most is why doesn't this happen more often. This character is not that old, I bet there are thousands chars on which the gold count has changed much more times.

I was thinking about it (since thats the most I can do while waiting for service reply, I rather calceled all sales on that bird and dont use it ever since ), and I think It somehow may be related to few gold cap trades/moves I have made on previous day. While acknowledging that it was not happening before (in which I hope), it would be pretty unexpected chance that these two things weren't related.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the answer from support. Such a bad luck I right hit the period when they have so many tickets to consider and resolve. I need to improve my patience haha.

Thanks for your interesting oppinion and for stopping by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

I think what he's describing is an overflow; that is trying to put a value that's too large into the variable holding the gold count. It doesn't have anything to do with how many times the value is updated. If true, then there's some kind of bug that allows too large a value to be added or subtracted, resulting in an invalid value that's interpreted as negative. The trick is trying to find a set of steps to reproduce the bug so devs can isolate the problem.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fusionstrike For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I was reading post from Zeus like three times thinking about the same Fusion, and really didn't get it as an overflow. As programmer, he would probably use the term anyway, since it's very familiar to everyone working with code. "certain amount of values" in my understanding is somethig very different from something like "bigger value, than maximum value for given variable type". For sure, I might suffer from my worse english, but...

EDIT: And by the way, finding the origin of this bug is exactly what I'm putting my effort here to
    Last edited by BroadCastle; 01-13-2014 at 04:53 PM.

6.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #25
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,909 Posts

This is a very strange bug indeed. Also, props for putting a bug report to music in a video. Our team is looking into it as I type this, I'll update you soon!
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Remiem For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator13 View Post
    Also, props for putting a bug report to music in a video.
    LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator13 View Post
    This is a very strange bug indeed. Also, props for putting a bug report to music in a video. Our team is looking into it as I type this, I'll update you soon!
    Great, thank you very much. If I could be helpful anyhow, please let me know

Haha, about the music, when I made first video, I didn't know yet that the bug will continue (after I anulled the negative count by trashing these items, I think I solved all) and so the only purpose should have been to report (and maybe entertain...? ) others about this interresting issue. Thats why I put music in, for video not to be that boring And when I made the second one, knowing already that bug is more serious, I just wanted to keep the style

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadCastle View Post
    I was reading post from Zeus like three times thinking about the same Fusion, and really didn't get it as an overflow. As programmer, he would probably use the term anyway, since it's very familiar to everyone working with code. "certain amount of values" in my understanding is somethig very different from something like "bigger value, than maximum value for given variable type". For sure, I might suffer from my worse english, but...

EDIT: And by the way, finding the origin of this bug is exactly what I'm putting my effort here to
    Broad, what I did mean to say was an overflow. I just didn't know that you're familiar with code, so I tried to break it down (although pretty unsuccessfully, forgive me - I'm new!). Of course, if I had known that you're familiar with code yourself, I would've just used the term.

I'm a fairly new programmer myself, so I struggle with trying to explain it (and honestly, when I read over what I posted - you were right, what I said was completely different than what I meant) but what Fusion has described is exactly what I mean. Hence, why I tried to show an example of a similar incident of what happened to my friend in regards to her platinum purchases.

As far as I know, each time this bug came up, it was when a user was adding or subtracting gold, hence why I thought it might be an overflow error. Also, if I remember correctly, the negative number that came up usually was the amount of gold that was subtracted (but don't take my word on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionstrike View Post
    I think what he's describing is an overflow; that is trying to put a value that's too large into the variable holding the gold count. It doesn't have anything to do with how many times the value is updated. If true, then there's some kind of bug that allows too large a value to be added or subtracted, resulting in an invalid value that's interpreted as negative. The trick is trying to find a set of steps to reproduce the bug so devs can isolate the problem.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say.
    Last edited by Zeus; 01-15-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

^ Hey Zeus,

Thanks, now I understand. Not only your expression caused my confusion, I also still suffer from not excelent English skills (trying to improve day by day ). Overflow seems to be good tip tho. However I dont remember any moment when I failed putting/taking some over-goldcap amount either to/from stash or to inventory, you are probably right and its something like that. As it seems devs are right examining that, so once I know the result I'll let you know.

EDIT: About current state, it seems that Gnosis already fixed the issue of disapearing gold by relogging.
    Last edited by BroadCastle; 01-15-2014 at 04:06 PM.