Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Offensive Names

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ See now I completely agree with this. Names that target a specific group are unacceptable and no i will not call you a brown noser.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    You are truly an unnecessary user. Exit the forums, wait 1/5 decades, get back on
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Offensive Names

Right now theres a game being ran in CTK called Fu****'s Game and yes the ****'* are in the game title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOASTYTorpedo View Post
    fine, fine; I have seen the light, I take it back...
    I guess what my point is that players shouldn't be held responsible for creating these "offensive" names. If the name makes it past the initial naming filter, then it is valid. I understand that it could be a good idea for devs to update the filter but as for people who already have names that violate it, they shouldn't be banned (just a simple rename).
    Also, I can see why using double letters to spell otherwise invalid words is a little snide... but honestly "dadtouchedme" is not really a big deal.

*Hope I didn't hurt your feelings* ^^
    And what do you think would happen if a kid playing saw that guy come into his game, and something horrible had happened to him, even though he is out of that situation(hopefully) How then do you think that would make that one person feel? It's not about kissing up or brown-nosing, it's about ethics and hostile environment. Honestly, if some young kid saw a guy playing a char named something vulgar, they would ask questions, or use the term. It's an imprint... It's just like sexual harrassment in the workplace... It's not about how you think your name should be taken, it's all about how others take it. If you get reported for having a vulgar name because you can't think of something so easy as a name for a fantasy character, or you just thought it would be cute or funny, then you deserve it. There is no excuse to be putting ignorant vulgar crap in front of everyone. None whatsoever. That's why there is a random name generator. If you can't think of something that's not vulgar or rude for a name, then use it.

It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple. If you don't like it, then you should also understand that every character, and every name in the game, and all of the items and gold, ALL OF IT, is the personal property of Spacetime Studios. That's how it is in ANY MMORPG. You don't "own" any of it, they are letting you play the game. It is a joy to have a game that can be played on almost any platform now, and to have 10 or 20 people making rude, offensive names to ruin the experience for the rest of the players should never be allowed. Driving customers off is not a good way to stay in business. Keeping the masses happy is more important than what some immature idiot's point of view on how their name should be taken.
    [B]Level 50 Cyber Void Full Dex Archer: Seratonin, Level 50 (Experimental) Dex/IntMage, Cyber Cosmos, Void: Species,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

During day, there are a group of German players with pro- Nazi names. They creep me out.
    Last edited by Balonia; 12-13-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As we were all mostly here from the beginning and we are what made this game today … It’s a social responsible thing to do in reporting offensive names, language, etc. You don’t have to do it, but its just the socially responsible to do it.

I have reported a guy who got banned because he was yelling in town racial slurs and I thought it was disgusting.

Its like if you see a person hanging off a cliff and you are walking by, you don’t need to help him but you should.
    IGN: Inching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

After reading the responses so far this is exactly why I love this game. What an amazing community with none of the immature drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnonymous View Post
    After reading the responses so far this is exactly why I love this game. What an amazing community with none of the immature drama.
    /Sarcasm? ANY online community that has ever existed has had some sort of immature drama somewhere, at sometime. But we aren't going to let that kill the community. =p
    [B]Level 50 Cyber Void Full Dex Archer: Seratonin, Level 50 (Experimental) Dex/IntMage, Cyber Cosmos, Void: Species,
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok Seratonin, I understand that you are trying to keep me from single handedly destroying PL and completely ruining STS's franchise and that is very honorable of you...

But, have you ever considered that your name sounds awfully close to "serotonin"? Let me explain: serotonin is a hormone primarily found in the central nervous system and the gut. It is often associated with bringing good feelings to the body and is nicknamed the "happiness hormone". Now, many drugs such as LSD and prescribed narcotics are used to alter one's serotonin's levels; thus creating a psychedelic feeling or used to combat depression (this can be abused).
    Is your name perhaps suggesting the use and abuse of certain narcotics to create a temporary feeling of happiness?
    I sure wouldn't want my kids to be influenced by your "offensive" name. And maybe you don't think it is meant in this way. But keep in mind, "It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple." I wonder who said that.

My point is, MMORPGs such as Pocket Legends require a certain level of maturity to play. A player should be able to determine that funny phrases or simple nouns or compound nouns are not necessarily meant to be offensive. Unless of course they involve intentional misspellings of clearly offensive words or racial slurs.

Think about it.
    You are truly an unnecessary user. Exit the forums, wait 1/5 decades, get back on
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Exept this

who wants there to be a boss in the swamps
    you can name him whatever
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seratonin View Post
    /Sarcasm? ANY online community that has ever existed has had some sort of immature drama somewhere, at sometime. But we aren't going to let that kill the community. =p
    Well there was a little sarcasm in there What I should have said there through was with a community and development team that makes it so we don't have the immature stuff killing the community. Pretty responsive development team which is always a good sign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Ok TOASTY, what you said about seratonin is completely different as that is a vocabulary word that only adults/mature, intelligent people will know. To the average kid that word will not come to them as being depreciating or vulgar in any way, unless he or she was to in some way to derive that word from that name, but if he was then he most definitely is not a kid, and is very mature for his age, THEN the issue would be invalid because of his mental capacity.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

lol i still say Bowjobzs is pretty damn funny, and definetly not innapropriate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seratonin View Post
    I would sift through the list of thousands of names personally to get rid of these people. I had "daddytouchedme" pop into my game, and all I said was... "Awkward." Then boot. Yes I would spend hours of my life for free to have the vulgar/nasty named players removed, so if you want to take advantage of this offer devs, I am serious about this. No charge, willing to read through the thousands, just to make the community a better place. <3
    I'll join you! We should be like the police! Haha... We should have police caps! XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok Seratonin, I understand that you are trying to keep me from single handedly destroying PL and completely ruining STS's franchise and that is very honorable of you...

But, have you ever considered that your name sounds awfully close to "serotonin"? Let me explain: serotonin is a hormone primarily found in the central nervous system and the gut. It is often associated with bringing good feelings to the body and is nicknamed the "happiness hormone". Now, many drugs such as LSD and prescribed narcotics are used to alter one's serotonin's levels; thus creating a psychedelic feeling or used to combat depression (this can be abused).
    Is your name perhaps suggesting the use and abuse of certain narcotics to create a temporary feeling of happiness?
    I sure wouldn't want my kids to be influenced by your "offensive" name. And maybe you don't think it is meant in this way. But keep in mind, "It's not about how you feel about it, it's how others feel about it. Plain and simple." I wonder who said that.

My point is, MMORPGs such as Pocket Legends require a certain level of maturity to play. A player should be able to determine that funny phrases or simple nouns or compound nouns are not necessarily meant to be offensive. Unless of course they involve intentional misspellings of clearly offensive words or racial slurs.

Think about it.
    Now you're just fishing for a fight... I'm not going to fight.
    I DID say that, and if my name offends you, then I WILL change my name. Plain and Simple. Why fight over something SO SO simple?! I don't have a problem changing it if someone does find it offensive. I have had no complaints yet though.
    Last edited by Seratonin; 12-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well there was a little sarcasm in there What I should have said there through was with a community and development team that makes it so we don't have the immature stuff killing the community. Pretty responsive development team which is always a good sign
    My apologies =p I didn't know
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    Ok TOASTY, what you said about seratonin is completely different as that is a vocabulary word that only adults/mature, intelligent people will know. To the average kid that word will not come to them as being depreciating or vulgar in any way, unless he or she was to in some way to derive that word from that name, but if he was then he most definitely is not a kid, and is very mature for his age, THEN the issue would be invalid because of his mental capacity.
    Exactly... Most people call me Sera for short...

Such a hot thread, and a very simple topic.

Offensive name? Report it! TOO easy.
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I don't think it is offensive, and I have no problem with it. It's just some people potentially could, that's all.
    And I don't want to fight I just want to have my point clear.
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I don't think it is offensive, and I have no problem with it. It's just some people potentially could, that's all.
    And I don't want to fight I just want to have my point clear.
    Just as someone could also find your name offensive. But the point is, until someone does, then you don't have to change it... When it becomes noticed, that's when it gets changed. I understand your point.
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

wait you guys can't seriously be caring this much about names? this is ridiculous. how offensive can these names actually be if they aren't targeting a specific group of people?? honestly quit brown-nosing. this isn't runescape... STS isn't going to make anyone a forum mod!
    Exactly, couldnt have said it better myself....

Edit: and kids already have pervy minds, due to the ****ed up school program D.A.R.E anything you say,will be turned into a drug reference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a guy named after a religion.
    Also a guy named something*bible

*Something states that i forgot it, not the exact name "Somethingbible"
    IGN: Skellerkrunch(50), Hawkrobin(50), Magiclegends(50), Oktal(45), Bladesword(45), mamccroc(35) Plothozz(30), Lechomp(20), Oktal (20), Monseiurlebow(20), Tharef(20), Smackolantern(19),