Thread: Entangled trap and Shadow storm shot (Rogue skills)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Entangled trap and Shadow storm shot (Rogue skills)

I noticed that in pvp, allies and the caster of the entangled trap can trigger the entangled trap by walking over it... This has never happened to me in pve, and also shadow storm shot misses just as much as a sorcerers fireball, maybe more often.

I don't know if these skills are supposed to function this way, someone please respond to this, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts

SSS targeting is long overdue to be fixed!
    IGN: Kakashi <Deviant Misfits> - We run PVE!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashis View Post
    SSS targeting is long overdue to be fixed!
    It's such a great skill when you succesfully hit your targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

In the rare occasions when I have trap and I'm in pvp at the same time I have always enjoyed throwing a trap and then sometimes I will open it up on purpose by walking over it to increase the area so it's easier to slow down an enemy instead of 'surprising' them. I don't really see how it's a bad thing, traps in pvp are more funny then anything else. It's actually one of my favorite things to do to flaggers who are my friends and I don't want to kill them just make them scream at their phone 'Jex! Stop the dang traps!'

SSS has been talked about and talked about and talked about - it's a niche skill that almost serves no purpose. Just look at the rogue threads section, how many threads are there about 'why doesn't anyone use sss' followed by 50 posts by regulars? SSS for rogues is to a warrior's rally cry is to a mage's ker'shal scepter. Now... if people actually played ctf to steal flags instead of killing others I could see guilds calling out in chat 'help need rally cry warrior!' Just like people call out for curse mages and the like. But I can see no instance where people 'need' a shadow storm shot rogue... It doesn't matter if they fix the autoaim or not, it's still shadow storm shot.
    Last edited by Jexetta; 02-04-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    ORIGINAL ART BY CARLOS ORTEGA ELIZALDE
    46 R/W/M | <E N I G M A T I C> | CARROTS

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jexetta View Post
    In the rare occasions when I have trap and I'm in pvp at the same time I have always enjoyed throwing a trap and then sometimes I will open it up on purpose by walking over it to increase the area so it's easier to slow down an enemy instead of 'surprising' them. I don't really see how it's a bad thing, traps in pvp are more funny then anything else. It's actually one of my favorite things to do to flaggers who are my friends and I don't want to kill them just make them scream at their phone 'Jex! Stop the dang traps!'

SSS has been talked about and talked about and talked about - it's a niche skill that almost serves no purpose. Just look at the rogue threads section, how many threads are there about 'why doesn't anyone use sss' followed by 50 posts by regulars? SSS for rogues is to a warrior's rally cry is to a mage's ker'shal scepter. Now... if people actually played ctf to steal flags instead of killing others I could see guilds calling out in chat 'help need rally cry warrior!' Just like people call out for curse mages and the like. But I can see no instance where people 'need' a shadow storm shot rogue... It doesn't matter if they fix the autoaim or not, it's still shadow storm shot.

You have a good point there. But a skill is a skill and it should work properly

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redheadwendy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jexetta View Post

at lowerlevels, it's useful as an increase damage on a critical, but the problem is that it just won't aim properly much like the mage's fireball was glitched but is now fixed.
    IGN: Kakashi <Deviant Misfits> - We run PVE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Sorc's Gale works just like SSS. It fires in the direction you were facing 0.5-1s ago (or whatever your lag is).
    And yes, it's useless this way.
    BTW I would not say fireball's aiming is fixed because it tends to choose the wrong target but that's another story.
    Disclaimer: my lameness is figurative but strong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

SSS only hits enemies in fron of you. For me it works every time, just have to aim it correctly. I dont see it working very well in pvp though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gumball3000 View Post
    SSS only hits enemies in fron of you. For me it works every time, just have to aim it correctly. I dont see it working very well in pvp though.
    When you kite it isn't that easy to aim it...
    Last edited by Sariita; 02-07-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    IGN: Sariita/Sariibites - AL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Most rogues shoot on the run, including dagger rogues when the situation is not a stabby one. Shadow Storm Shot is technically an archery skill, so presumably meant to be used when running. I fail to understand the concept where we are supposed to run towards the baddies trying to eat us, in order to kill them.

If this skill had even enough damage to help in a km3 runs, aimed properly, and possibly even had a useful effect like (for example) an arcane patch, or stun or damage over time (although dot would just turn it into a lesser nox), it might be a viable option for the skill selections.

I try for at least 3 weeks out of every season to find a use for this skill, but there remains only one place it is plausably beneficial, and that is Camp Boulder.

The most recent test included 100 test runs - 50 for level 36 and 50 for level 15. Aim / Nox / Veil compared to Aim / Nox / SSS a run of 1:45 is an average of 5-8 seconds faster with veil - illogical when the buff/protection skill does more than what should be a main attack skill.

Please fix at least the aim of this skill if it is to remain as an option for rogues. It is frustrating having no variety available - every rogue in the game ends up with the same build, more or less. Let us have at least an option for creative speccing.

Thanks
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The aim is the one thing that's a hate about SSS and the also damage caused from it is so little, it needs to be fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Try sss in km3, i find it useful in clearing large groups of mobs and it saves me alot of mana. Just remwmber it only goes straight much like a sorceres gale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gumball3000 View Post
    Try sss in km3, i find it useful in clearing large groups of mobs and it saves me alot of mana. Just remwmber it only goes straight much like a sorceres gale.
    I am a fully geared rogue (minus a few super gems), and the tests I ran for level 36 were in km3. With max damage a SSS will take 1/4 - 1/3 of the health of the mobs it actually hits. If I charge it fully, I can get close to 1/2 their health off if I crit. On elite mobs it barely even registers on their health bar. Most rogues don't have max mythic damage, rendering this skill from a waste of points for me to not even considerable for normal damage range rogues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

It always seemed to me like SSS was supposed to be that way - I've used it a bit recently and I kinda like it in PVE - it fires only straight ahead, and slightly to the left and right- you can be running past the target, just not away from it. I don't really have any problems aiming or kiting with it at all, kiting means you move around a lot so its easy to time SSS for when you are passing the boss at an angle.

I kinda like that I have to aim this skill rather than relying on auto-aim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I had thought I found a genius use for SSS once. I'd make a rogue for solo taking down bosses safely & quickly. Equipped a bow and went AS/Nox/SSS/SP (dashing through wind-up red zones).

THEN I realized you had to manually aim SSS. SSS missed so much...it was so useless. It was way more effective to shoot regular arrows in place of it, as they'd actually hit. Firing SSS and missing was nothing but a waste of mana, too.
    Only those who risk going past the edge will find out how far they can go.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Very good discussion here. Now back to the "trap"

My trap expands when i run over it, this can be bad because i leveled the ability to pull enemies within range. But if i have already triggered the trap, my chances of pulling in enemies will be 0% and also, trap deals damage when it expands. But if i set off the trap that damage will no longer be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

The explode upgrade means A trap deals (a little bit of) damage when it explodes at the end of its lifespan, not when it is initially triggered.

Trap doesn't pull people together in pvp either, just slows them down and makes them bleed (if you have that effect added). Skills function differently in pvp to maintain balance. This is mostly a pve skill, and works properly for that.

I would like to see the explode upgrade on both traps and veil do an actual amount of damage, however. Right now they are considered a waste of skill points.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have pulled in PVP before though