Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Developing Story: Arcane Shards Discovered in Mount Rockhorn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Only real way to maintain the value of the recipes is if they are consumed after the ring is crafted so that there won't be a glut of recipes within a month of the expansion being released.

My main concern is having the recipe being used over and over again to craft rings once its attained. The only challenge at that point is popping crates to loot shards to make a ring.
    <The Collective> Retired Warrior/Born Again Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    Ok, but 50-100 dragons teeth is a lot inventory space.
    Good point. Since the dragons teeth are not tradable, I'm thinking they should be stored the way story tokens are and not take up any inventory space. There is really no need to put them in your inventory since the teeth themselves are not a crafting component, only the recipe and shard are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hectororius View Post
    Only real way to maintain the value of the recipes is if they are consumed after the ring is crafted so that there won't be a glut of recipes within a month of the expansion being released.

My main concern is having the recipe being used over and over again to craft rings once its attained. The only challenge at that point is popping crates to loot shards to make a ring.
    Another good point. I'm not sure if the current crafting system can allow for this, but I agree 100%. This is how it always was in Pocket Legends, but as we saw during the winter event, the AL crafting system seems to work somewhat different. However, perhaps they can add something that causes the recipe to disappear after being used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This sounds awesome guys! New gear?! Arcane Gear?! I think this expansion is going to do a lot for AL! Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The intro stated that these Teeth are a valuable commodity to the toons of the expansion so my assumption is that there will probably be more ways to spend the Dragons Teeth than on just this one Arcane recipe, too. This thread is more about the Arcane ring but I think people are glossing over this part of the Teeth system. Not everyone will be farming the Teeth for the Arcane recipe, I'm guessing. It may be more like the winter event where there are other items to choose from when spending the Teeth. If this were not the case there would be quite a few players like myself who wouldn't spend much time, if any, on finding the Teeth given the extremely low expectations of owning an Arcane rarity item.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bornof1000Kings For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am outing myself as a platuser now. Just want to say: if the recipe wont be tradeable (and i dont want to farm tons of elite bosses!) why the hell should i open even one single locked to gain the shard? If i dont get a chance to get the best items, i wont spend my real money anymore to keep this game running. Its just that simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:1491112
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    We're listening, if the consensus seem to lean towards restricting the recipe to individual farming that is within our power to do so. The current plan is to allow it to be tradeable after purchase, but is an open point of debate internally here as well as it has pros and cons associated. Please feel free to leave more feedback about this aspect if you have an opinion on the matter. Obviously if we choose one, it doesn't mean it will be that way forever, so perhaps an initial offering of non-tradeable to start that becomes tradeable as the season comes to an end is feasible. Going the other way would create much more friction.
    I know some people are not going to agree with my opinion and are going to say that what I suggest is "too hard", but I think this will make for tons of fun.... Here is how I would do it:

Make the Dragons Teeth an epic rarity item that drops from the elite bosses in the new expansion, and make them drop at a decent rate. Make it so that a large number of Dragons Teeth are needed to purchase the recipe for the Arcane Ring, perhaps 50-100 of them depending on how often they drop. Then make the recipe tradable, but NOT the Dragons Teeth.

The result of this is that the recipe will end up being very valuable and not only the Arcane Shard. Obtaining the recipe will be something that takes weeks/months, similar to how the ichor quest was in Pocket Legends. It will be a long grind, and should take a few hundred elite boss kills minimum in order to obtain enough Dragons Teeth to purchase the recipe. This will give non-plat spenders an opportunity to earn money by farming for Dragons Teeth.

Remember that the Arcane Ring should be good for multiple seasons, so this should be a long grind and something that keeps us interested for a long time. Remember in Pocket Legends how everyone wanted to craft demonic sets, but those glyph steels and other crafting components were so hard to find? It took months to craft those sets, and even then most players could not manage to craft a full set. That was a ton of fun! But crafting in the later PL expansions was very boring by comparison and within a month of each expansion, most players had fully crafted sets.

People will say that they want it to be easy, and they will complain when it is hard, but the truth is that they get bored when it is easy, and they play more when it is a challenge. Make it difficult, and not only luck based, but make there be some element of it that requires some hard work.
    From how I read it, you want to make the dragons teeth rare, craftable in a large quantity AND tradeable? Sorry. But I disagree.

If you want you make it rare and elite, no more than 15-20 should be needed
    If you want to make it purple but increase pieces required - 50 to 100, this is a horrible idea. Purples aren't always looted on elite bosses firstly so I would have to do about 150 runs to get 100 teeth. Secondly, this quest isnt like PL, the bosses in the ichor farming werent elite were they? If you want to increase quantity then add them to the last non elite boss. If you want hardcore elites, then reduce amount to 20. Although I am going againt my own beliefs that people shouldnt just be able to buy best gear, not everybody has the time to farm 100 elites, for me I like to stictly pvp so farming would be a chore.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

this whole game is getting too complicated.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I am outing myself as a platuser now. Just want to say: if the recipe wont be tradeable (and i dont want to farm tons of elite bosses!) why the hell should i open even one single locked to gain the shard? If i dont get a chance to get the best items, i wont spend my real money anymore to keep this game running. Its just that simple.
    U can play some other game and buy best equip for 1k$ first day and be "Uber pro". Practice makes u perfect...u cant just buy pills (plats in this case) for skillz

Sent from Vox TV via...wait,what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post
    From how I read it, you want to make the dragons teeth rare, craftable in a large quantity AND tradeable? Sorry. But I disagree.

If you want you make it rare and elite, no more than 15-20 should be needed
    If you want to make it purple but increase pieces required - 50 to 100, this is a horrible idea. Purples aren't always looted on elite bosses firstly so I would have to do about 150 runs to get 100 teeth. Secondly, this quest isnt like PL, the bosses in the ichor farming werent elite were they? If you want to increase quantity then add them to the last non elite boss. If you want hardcore elites, then reduce amount to 20. Although I am going againt my own beliefs that people shouldnt just be able to buy best gear, not everybody has the time to farm 100 elites, for me I like to stictly pvp so farming would be a chore.
    I hear you Miracle, the problem is that the end result of this would be that everyone has the recipes and they become worthless, and then the only limiting factor on who gets the Arcane Ring will be the Arcane Shards. I'd like the recipe to be just as rare as the shards. And as was said in a previous post, obviously there will be other items that can be purchased with the dragons teeth. I kind of like this whole strategy...

Basically instead of looting specific items from the bosses in this campaign, let us loot dragons teeth and then purchase the items that we want. I think that is a much better way to do things and creates some variety from the previous campaigns.

As I also mentioned, I think the recipes should be tradable. So if you are the type who would rather not do the number of elite runs required, then you can purchase the recipe from one of the many players who will be doing those runs and will be selling the recipe. Remember that this is for an Arcane Ring. I hope you don't expect the Arcane Ring to be easy or cheap to acquire...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Will there be new items for twinks o tarlok reigns

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I hear you Miracle, the problem is that the end result of this would be that everyone has the recipes and they become worthless, and then the only limiting factor on who gets the Arcane Ring will be the Arcane Shards. I'd like the recipe to be just as rare as the shards. And as was said in a previous post, obviously there will be other items that can be purchased with the dragons teeth. I kind of like this whole strategy...

Basically instead of looting specific items from the bosses in this campaign, let us loot dragons teeth and then purchase the items that we want. I think that is a much better way to do things and creates some variety from the previous campaigns.

As I also mentioned, I think the recipes should be tradable. So if you are the type who would rather not do the number of elite runs required, then you can purchase the recipe from one of the many players who will be doing those runs and will be selling the recipe. Remember that this is for an Arcane Ring. I hope you don't expect the Arcane Ring to be easy or cheap to acquire...
    How many times does a player need to be struck by lightning exactly to get an Arcane Ring? I ask because you are saying there will be players that are lucky/skilled enough to get a recipe and there are other players that are lucky enough to get the shard. Now neither of those players can trade with each other, since they will be of equal value. So are they both extremely valuable or are they both extremely useless? I guess they both have to sell their pieces to merchants since those will be the only ones benefiting from this scenario ...

One piece has to be extremely rare and one piece has to be extremely abundant. Any other way and it is just punishing players that get one of the extremely rare pieces without the other.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorix View Post
    U can play some other game and buy best equip for 1k$ first day and be "Uber pro". Practice makes u perfect...u cant just buy pills (plats in this case) for skillz

No need to be sarcastic.
    Thats exact my point - i am fine with not getting the best gear, if STS decides, that i have got to repeat the same bosses over and over again for it. But as consequence of that, i dont have any reason more, to put real money in game for a shard i wont be able to use. Thats all i want to say and i am totally relaxed about this, sorry if my previous post sounded wrong - this depends on my bad english.
    Last edited by Handel; 02-25-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    How many times does a player need to be struck by lightning exactly to get an Arcane Ring? I ask because you are saying there will be players that are lucky/skilled enough to get a recipe and there are other players that are lucky enough to get the shard. Now neither of those players can trade with each other, since they will be of equal value. So are they both extremely valuable or are they both extremely useless? I guess they both have to sell their pieces to merchants since those will be the only ones benefiting from this scenario ...

One piece has to be extremely rare and one piece has to be extremely abundant. Any other way and it is just punishing players that get one of the extremely rare pieces without the other.
    You assume that these two players in your example are both dirt poor and have nothing except these rare items. So yes, in the unlikely case that two such players exist, you are correct.

But most players who farm elite bosses regularly have some valuables and some wealth. And if they are super farmers, but non-plat spenders, then they could work hard and perhaps farm enough dragons teeth for 2 recipes, and likewise another player who spends a ton of plat could open enough locked crates to get 2 arcane shards. Then they could trade. Or yes, someone could sell a recipe or a shard in the auction and make a ton of money and then use that money for other things.

In fact, as in your example, if someone did have an arcane shard (or recipe) and no other items of value or wealth, then I would suggest they sell them anyway. Having an Arcane ring without any other good gear or wealth is like a poor person living in the projects but driving a Ferrari. A couple of months ago a player in my guild got lucky and looted a Samael Egg. He was a poor player with no mythics or arcane items. We all suggested that he sell the egg and buy some better gear and perhaps some cheaper pets.

The recipes will become completely worthless and completely useless if there are more of them than there are shards. The second that happens, all interest in this quest will die.

I know you remember how in PL during the 61 cap players farmed for glyphs steels religiously. Wouldn't you like some of that fun to come over to AL?
    Last edited by Energizeric; 02-25-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I know you remember how in PL during the 61 cap players farmed for glyphs steels religiously. Wouldn't you like some of that fun to come over to AL?
    I'd be all for that if the maps were as runnable in AL as they were in PL. Without PL's join system u have to rely on ur guild or friends list to get a team together and that takes too long. We all know how much fun pugging AL elites is...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    I'd be all for that if the maps were as runnable in AL as they were in PL. Without PL's join system u have to rely on ur guild or friends list to get a team together and that takes too long. We all know how much fun pugging AL elites is...
    I think you're confused about cause and effect. The reason it has been so hard to get a good group together the past couple of seasons is because there is nothing exciting to farm for. Add some element like this and suddenly everyone will be out farming instead of in PvP.

I know there are some players who prefer PvP, but I believe most prefer PvE when there is fun to be had and good items to farm for. I think they only switch over to PvP when they get bored with PvE. In PL, PvP was empty and almost everyone was always farming for stuff like glyph steels, dragon items, etc. In AL we see the opposite because PvE has been mostly boring.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I think you're confused about cause and effect. The reason it has been so hard to get a good group together the past couple of seasons is because there is nothing exciting to farm for. Add some element like this and suddenly everyone will be out farming instead of in PvP.

I know there are some players who prefer PvP, but I believe most prefer PvE when there is fun to be had and good items to farm for. I think they only switch over to PvP when they get bored with PvE. In PL, PvP was empty and almost everyone was always farming for stuff like glyph steels, dragon items, etc. In AL we see the opposite because PvE has been mostly boring.
    no, i'm not confused unfortunately. I've had lots of failed pugs in elites this season. Most pugs can't even finish an elite run. The only one you had a chance to pug last season was keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I dunno about boring so much as there isn't as much gold to be made because no one is really interested in buying up architect gears.

You can farm your heart out and have a great deal of fun with a good party, I know I do when I'm running my rouge with TC - but if the drops aren't paying out what they should it becomes a grind for pennies and no one likes to feel that farming elites is a grind.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

All elites r pointless to farm last two months or more same with shyal arena...farming whole day for 1-2 elite golden puzzles and few worthless pinkies is boring.
    And non-plat users r suposed to get millions from that farming to buy myth equip from plat users that r opening stupid lockeds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric:1493154
    Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post

Im pretty certain, as it is one of the reasons i play.

That something exciting should not be trying to farm teeth. Sts should put a challenege to other things INSTEAD of the farming of teeth. You are right, pve is boring and should be hard but some people genuinely dislike pve either way and therefore may not want to farm 100 hours for something that they will use in pvp.
    Credits to Iady