Thread: Buffing Arcane Shield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Everything you said is wrong and here is why:

Quote Originally Posted by Sceazikua View Post
    But
    1.Mages are NOT suposed to be tank, in fact its the most squishy. Why are we asking to make them more tanky and survive in all 15 sec and more? Its because of the playstyle, for example the OP meant "I want to run to boss in elite oltgar but shield doesnt last long enough to save me", well we all know how many mobs there are in the run-way to boss in oltgar. You cant expect to live long enough when playing the squishiest class and running into a big crowd of mobs/a PvP clash.
    This is wrong, I have been running all the way to boss in Oltgar since season 4. So this is possible without arcane shield. So you can expect to live long enough playing the squishiest class. You can see here:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...rboard-Winners!

And see whose name is next to the pure timed run for Oltgar. Do you really think we killed all mobs or anyone died?

2.Mages are NOT meant to solo, rogues are. most of mage's skills are AOE, while rogues only do damage to 1 target (at least in PvP) to play well. Its different kinds. Damage to all party =/= damage to 1 target.
    This is also wrong because I routinely solo many maps and if I wanted to could solo almost all elite maps. Another mage claimed you couldn't solo an elite boss and only a rogue could do this but I demonstrated this was wrong:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...=1#post1258635

3.The set duration (15 sec) is only there to serve as a timer. What if they made it 10 sec in first place, and the shield often only absorbs enough damage in 10 sec, then "it lasts to its full extend", will you (referred to people who cried) stop crying that "mages shield are meant to be 15 sec, not down in 10 sec"?
    This is nonsensical. Shield has a 15 second duration with a 30 second cool down. But it is only damage reduction of 30-45% depending on upgrades. Once it absorbs up to a certain amount of damage it will drop before the 15 seconds is up. So it seems you don't understand how shield works given your strawman argument. Because given enough damage shield can last only 1 second. And having used it in the past, I have seen this basically saving me from a 1 shot death. And whatever damage was prevented (30%-45%) you take the rest of the damage.

The issue here is that its more challenging to play a mage then other classes because of our low armor. The only advantage you have as a mage is crowd control. But when STS nerfs our crowd control ability then we are weak. This is why we suck at PvP and in Tindirin is the most challenging expansion. Because they have nerfed which mobs can be rooted, frozen and stunned. When you keep nerfing our skills and giving us nothing in return then people are going to be upset. But this stuff has been complained about for over 1 year since the game was started. Nothing is going to be done. Anyone who doesn't like playing a mage I suggest you sell all your stuff and buy new gear and play a warrior or rogue.
    Last edited by falmear; 04-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

I think you misunderstood my points, or you just tried to think it another way to make me sound wrong lol. And btw, by "not meant to" I didnt mean "cant" or I just put there cant, right? Mages CAN still do it, just not as effective as others. all 3 classes have their own roll you must have known: warrior-tank (stated in point 1), rogue-solo aka single target kill (stated in point 2) and mages-team player (stated in point 2 too)

1.My first point means that generally mages are squishy, some who are skilled and geared like you may be not. Didnt I state it is because of playstyle? What did I say wrong when I said mages are not suposed to be tank? Not because you can run there doesnt mean all other squishy mages without skill can run there too (for example the OP).

2.Solo here refers solo in PvP, where people just say "rogue do 3k 4k damage mage cant stand". solo in PvE and PvP are different. Mages are more effective in clashes than to do 1v1 with rogues to get all those single targeted damage to their squishy armor by themselves.

3.I dont understand what your "nonsensical" refers to, seriously. What I meant is that 15 sec duration is not suposed to always last to its full 15 sec, its just a timer to turn off your shield when not enough damage absorbed. We all know that as long as the shield is still up the smurf is still alive dont we? You guys are basically asking for a "15 sec immortality shield" by asking to make them "last to its full extend". Its just a normal shield, it has its cap, and it can absorb some damage to save you some seconds not insta-killed, not granting immortality.

Btw I dont understand what youre talking about in the last part.
    But when STS nerfs our crowd control ability then we are weak. This is why we suck at PvP and in Tindirin is the most challenging expansion. Because they have nerfed which mobs can be rooted, frozen and stunned. When you keep nerfing our skills and giving us nothing in return then people are going to be upset. But this stuff has been complained about for over 1 year since the game was started. Nothing is going to be done.
    Not sure how STS nerfed our crowd control ability, they just fixed what that are considered OP. Idk how PvP is before the stun immune came, but (in my theory) I can imagine many smurfs keep cycling and stunning the opposite team. Is that not worth fixing? Btw they also nerfed warriors horn because (in my theory) many warrior keep cycling and shielding themselves = undead, just reminding. Btw in PvE in shuyal the shielded skeletons (stronger ones) and shadowmancers are not rootable or stunable, but why arent you complaining about them? Because they are easy enough that people can breeze through? Now there are only snakes unrootable and unstunable, and they may be the real challenge, and now you complain "mages are weak if cant root/stun them"?
    Anyone who doesn't like playing a mage I suggest you sell all your stuff and buy new gear and play a warrior or rogue.
    I never expected to hear this from someone like you, seriously. Wtf are you talking about? Just because I dont want to fight for sorc and ask for arcane shield to be OP and grant immortality that means "I dont like playing mage"? pff.
    Last edited by Sceazikua; 04-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

1.My first point means that generally mages are squishy, some who are skilled and geared like you may be not. Didnt I state it is because of playstyle? What did I say wrong when I said mages are not suposed to be tank? Not because you can run there doesnt mean all other squishy mages without skill can run there too (for example the OP).
    If you play your skills right you can tank as a mage. This is the point of crowd control. Tanking means taking damage but if you play your skills right you take minimal damage. Instead of saying mages are this or that, you should recommend people improve their skills and gear and not perpetuate myths like this.

2.Solo here refers solo in PvP, where people just say "rogue do 3k 4k damage mage cant stand". solo in PvE and PvP are different. Mages are more effective in clashes than to do 1v1 with rogues to get all those single targeted damage to their squishy armor by themselves.
    Mage vs Rogue is mostly fair assuming the right build. Mage vs Warrior is more difficult because of the armor and lack of critical damage. Mages in clashes is less fair because our crowd control is nerfed. All we have is stun or slow down effects. Stun also is nerfed because of stun immunity. So at best you have is AOE damage but in any clash, rogues get the most kills. How is it in a 5v5 fight, AOE damage gets the least kills and rogue who is single target gets the most. So what you are saying is wrong based in the real world and not based on forum posts.

3.I dont understand what your "nonsensical" refers to, seriously. What I meant is that 15 sec duration is not suposed to always last to its full 15 sec, its just a timer to turn off your shield when not enough damage absorbed. We all know that as long as the shield is still up the smurf is still alive dont we? You guys are basically asking for a "15 sec immortality shield" by asking to make them "last to its full extend". Its just a normal shield, it has its cap, and it can absorb some damage to save you some seconds not insta-killed, not granting immortality.
    The problem with shield is that it drops after certain amount of damage has been absorbed. Veil which boosts your armor 20% lasts 15 seconds with a 20 second cool down. So asking shield to be extended or not go down so fast is reasonable. Veil is always active no matter how much damage it takes. How about they nerf veil so its only active 10 seconds and disappears once you receive a certain amount of damage?

Not sure how STS nerfed our crowd control ability, they just fixed what that are considered OP. Idk how PvP is before the stun immune came, but (in my theory) I can imagine many smurfs keep cycling and stunning the opposite team. Is that not worth fixing? Btw they also nerfed warriors horn because (in my theory) many warrior keep cycling and shielding themselves = undead, just reminding. Btw in PvE in shuyal the shielded skeletons (stronger ones) and shadowmancers are not rootable or stunable, but why arent you complaining about them? Because they are easy enough that people can breeze through? Now there are only snakes unrootable and unstunable, and they may be the real challenge, and now you complain "mages are weak if cant root/stun them"?
    Maybe this is the problem that you don't understand. This season you can't freeze a lot of mobs with ice. Last season the only mob which you couldn't freeze was those shadowmancers. This season snakes, komodo dragon, troll thing aren't effected by ice and only until recently those snakes can be rooted. And all of these mobs are also uneffected by fireball stun. In PvP none of our skills work the same way as in PvE. All our skills are nerfed in PvP, fireball doesn't do a knock down, ice doesn't freeze, time shift doesn't root, and wind doesn't knock back. So you can see that STS made snakes rootable and this is a big mea culpa by STS. So yes crowd control is nerfed in PvP and PvE. Any one who plays a mage knows this.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...pdate-(143683)

Quote Originally Posted by H2N View Post
    • The Winged Serpents in Tindirin can now be snared and slowed.
    Last edited by falmear; 04-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

From a pvp perspective my major beef is not with the mechanics of the shield itself but in the fact that we are 100% reliant on it and 100% non viable without it. Shield should be built as a compromise for those who prefer suvivability over damage (defense vs an extra offensive skill) rather than suvivability over insta-death. Even if you assume shield is the cats azz for the duration of the effect (which it is not), this still means that we are completely defenssless at least 50% of the game. Any Rogue can finish us off in a single shot with shield down. Warriors may take a couple more but they have nothing but time. Mages can be very viable in pvp... 25-50% of the time. The rest of the time we spend ducking, diving, and praying that cooldown finishes before someone else sees us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nesox For This Useful Post: