I think just sitting around talking to them helps a lot. I do that periodically and am amazed at all the information they do not know, from how to give items, how to talk, how to look at their inventory, change armor/weapons, how to check stats, where plat store is, what's the next area, and how to get plat and how to get free plat, looking at the world map, dropping items, dropping potions, etc. So I think just helping them with information helps them a lot in playing the game.

Obviously I point tons of them to the website and the forums for further information.

I tend to think just powerleveling, especially where it involves leeching, just makes for a weak player with few friends, so I discourage that. Leveling, particularly at low levels, is so easy in PL that I have to worry about a player who cannot do that in normal play or questing. I have to think they are missing information about how to play and so need help with that information. I am not going to say I am totally successful. I could not for the life of me convince a level 17 the other day that there was no xp or adequate equipment for them in Forest Haven. Last I saw, he was still in Forest Haven and wondering how to get good armor. Guess he did not notice the drops in Dark Forest when he was leveling there...?