Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The Duplicate Scam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

This scam was especially rampant last year, when rings were most expensive. I have been approached several times by would-be scammers. They asked about my ring's gems, and when I bought it. Then they acted shocked that I got the ring before the "duplication bug", and said that my ring prolly isn't a product of duplication or has never been duplicated before. This is essential, cause they said that an item has to be never duplicated before for the bug to work. And then they asked if I really don't know about the bug or have never tried it before, adding that I must know about it (hinting to my full set and all). When I said I have no idea what they're talking about, they asked if I was interested, but they'll share it ONLY if I let them buy the duplicated ring for a super low price. Take note, I wasn't even acting interested. Just answering "yes" or "no", or when I got the ring. No more than that. After wards I said, "no thank you". And they just said to pm them if I ever change my mind.

One of these guys talked to me in my native language. And he was (I think still is) part of a well-known guild that had multiple rings when they were still a bit scarce. He also approached one of my ringed guildies, with the same story. I also know of a person who got hoodwinked into this scam, and he lost his ring and bonesaw because of this.

It's easy to blame the victim, but I wish something can be done about the abusers themselves. At the moment though, I agree that we can just take part in helping the community become more vigilant about these scams. I often ask my guildies to ask me or officers before getting into a deal with another person. And remind them that if anything looks too good to be true, it probably is.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklish For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nelson131 View Post
    Well...if ur stupid enough to be scammed....it is indeed your problem.

However, It is indeed an unfortunate event of such criminals taking advantage of players who are either ignorant/delusioned to the fact that people, do not necessarily need to help you, and that offers that seem too good or people who seem to be nice to you for no good reason, often have malicious intents hidden behind their actions, therefore I very rarely trust others, and their is only a handful of people in game I would trust.

It honestly baffles me that people are willing to place their trust on people they barely know, other people they have known for a long time-which being scammed by the aforementioned makes way more sense.

Anyway, many thanks to candy for pointing out this scam and by this, helpimg others to avoid being in an similar position to your guildmates who were scammed.

BTW, isnt there a "how to avoid being scammed" guide in here? People rly need to read that.
    As much as it does suck to get scammed, especially when you are losing Ker'shals and stuff, if that happens to anyone in my guild they will be immediately booted for being so gullible... DON'T TRUST ANYONE!!! (not yelling, just emphasizing)

Official Signature Of Dot Com Entertainment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Not being harsh but is scamming still going on, after so long people need to understanf a scam when they think something is fishy. Now whenever I trade or buy something I'm half asleep and still can see a scam. It's even noticeable in towns, especially people who want you to give them something first.
    My only advice is that do not confirm a trade until you are happy with it, if they say give me this first then cancle the trade and ignore the person. There is 2 confirm buttons for a reason.
    If you get scammed, I won't feel sorry for you most of the time especially if your trying to duplicate items for your own gain.
    Last word, if you do get scammed, learn from it. Don't let it happen again. Stop complaining, it's a game - be lucky it didn't happen in real life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

I reported the player you are talking about a week ago. It sounds like nothing has been done yet.

Any time you see someone trying to scam, please report them. There is nothing I hate more than scamming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dvsk View Post
    Not being harsh but is scamming still going on, after so long people need to understanf a scam when they think something is fishy. Now whenever I trade or buy something I'm half asleep and still can see a scam. It's even noticeable in towns, especially people who want you to give them something first.
    My only advice is that do not confirm a trade until you are happy with it, if they say give me this first then cancle the trade and ignore the person. There is 2 confirm buttons for a reason.
    If you get scammed, I won't feel sorry for you most of the time especially if your trying to duplicate items for your own gain.
    Last word, if you do get scammed, learn from it. Don't let it happen again. Stop complaining, it's a game - be lucky it didn't happen in real life.
    No one's actually complaining. As much as we'd LOVE to see people pay for this, the best thing we can do is to spread awareness. I may not have been a victim but I can easily see how someone can fall for it. And not all who do, do so for their own gain. Some people think it would be nice to be able to give a duplicate to a friend or special someone. Whatever their reasons, the price has already been paid and the lesson should already be learned. Hence the next step would be to spread the word, especially to kids who play this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nelson131 View Post
    Well...if ur stupid enough to be scammed....it is indeed your problem.

However, It is indeed an unfortunate event of such criminals taking advantage of players who are either ignorant/delusioned to the fact that people, do not necessarily need to help you, and that offers that seem too good or people who seem to be nice to you for no good reason, often have malicious intents hidden behind their actions, therefore I very rarely trust others, and their is only a handful of people in game I would trust.

It honestly baffles me that people are willing to place their trust on people they barely know, other people they have known for a long time-which being scammed by the aforementioned makes way more sense.

Anyway, many thanks to candy for pointing out this scam and by this, helpimg others to avoid being in an similar position to your guildmates who were scammed.

BTW, isnt there a "how to avoid being scammed" guide in here? People rly need to read that.
    The smartest players I know have fallen for scams. Here's a scam that a friend of mine understandably fell for.

The player was selling an item to another player. The agreed upon price was 1m. The buyer had 1m in the trade window, but said he was going to add some locks because this was such a good deal. When he added the locks, he changed the amount from 1m to 100k. My friend, who has poor eyesight, didn't notice and accepted the trade.

Did my friend deserve to be scammed? I really can't stand victim blaming.
    Last edited by Edward Coug; 09-02-2015 at 11:30 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edward Coug For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcurler View Post
    I am 100% agree with you on getting scammed is bad. Noone should get scammed. But in this particular case. I do not feel bad because both party are breaking the TOS that were set by STS. I understand about the building up trust part and then scammed the other person. But when it comes to Duplicated items, both party in this case are just greedy and unfortunately one of the greedy person got scammed. Let just say that if they were actually did go through and got the items duplicated. How would that be fair to another honest person that work hard in this game?
    The victims lose their hardearned stuffs and that's an enough lesson for them. what about the scammer?? Where's the punishment? Where's his lesson???

Again this is an awareness thread rather than a "whom to blame" thread.
    So anyway, Good thread candy. This thing need to be stopped.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The awoken king ate me...so I guess in his stomach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

I wanna see this scammer once lol I'll have fun with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    Hello Arlor.

I know this has been brought up before but please pass the word to your guild, some of them are newly capped and not aware of the duplicate scammer that lives in our world. This is how it goes. You will get a PM from a person that has a similar name from a 'famous' player like this:

'Famous' Player: Are you interested with arcane ring full para? Haha sell cheap

'Famous' Player: I has 2rings same gems hehe

'Famous' Player: I just got it from the bug duplicate, bro haha

If you continue to talk to this person he will eventually say that he's going to his actioner alt (yes I spelled it that way on purpose) and PM you from a low level unguilded toon. Next he will tell you to purchase some crates from auction. Then, he will ask you if you are on android or iOS and meet him in the outpost and have you eventually stand on the KlasNpc. He goes on to tell you to change some settings such as invite all pt HUD and filter chat. Finally he tells you to type a code and 'shud be all white no red, red some error'. He gives you this code .. /system activate-duplicate-but now and later on in the conversation he says for you to type /system klaas-trade/duplicate(Lc04,LC04, LCo4, NC55).

All of this is total bunk. Feel free to type this crap in, it's complete garbage.

Basically he is blinding you with a lengthy scam and HERE is the part where it gets very tricky. He ALSO has another alt with almost the same name as Klaas who he makes stand on top of the NPC. I am not allowed to repeat any player IGN but it's something along the lines of Systemklaas. And if you indeed place your items in the trade with this you are scammed.

Sounds like something we should all be smart to right? Let me tell you this. We have kids, people who speak other languages, and people who maybe are distracted.

In my own guild, a player lost fossil, mari, arcane ring, and mythic belt.

This morning I woke up to find out another person has lost gold tyran, kersh, arcane ring to the exact same person.

What can you do?

1. If you are approached immediately take SS of the conversation and send to support@spacetimestudios.com

2. Speak to your guild, especially the younger ones and the non-english speaking ones

3. Do not ever place anything in a trade window with ANYONE who has a name like systemklaas or NPC.

I truly am disappointed that this exact same person with exact same IGN is STILL in the game. Please be diligent and report this person properly if you are approached. Thank you everyone!!!!!
    I didn't understand the scam to be true....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

One of them tried to approach me when I was on an alt character and tried to say he was me, LOL!

There's a simple solution to this, just have the commands render anything else besides the strict format as an error. This means all white spaces or anything following the command would render as an error in chat log.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

where there is good, there is evil lol that's just how it is. we're the good people, sts is evil by not HOT FIX or QUICK FIX the NOT-TRADABLE level 43 mythic armors bug for a WHOLE WEEK NOW. SIGHHH.

Twobnv & Twoxc & Twocrazy - Deviant Misfits Officer

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    One of them tried to approach me when I was on an alt character and tried to say he was me, LOL!

There's a simple solution to this, just have the commands render anything else besides the strict format as an error. This means all white spaces or anything following the command would render as an error in chat log.
    Im sorry but what is the goal of doing what you just said? Didnt quite get who you were responding too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

This is like the old Nigerian Prince scams. People are greedy, so even though it seems shady, they are willing to risk breaking the rules to get something for free. STS is not going to help you out when you clearly were trying to scam the system and instead were scammed yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This is like the old Nigerian Prince scams. People are greedy, so even though it seems shady, they are willing to risk breaking the rules to get something for free. STS is not going to help you out when you clearly were trying to scam the system and instead were scammed yourself.
    Most people in this game are nice, the greedy and scammers are minority and the community is full of good people. Just because you fall into a trap of a scam, whether it be duplicate scam, lending to friend scam, changing a zero scam... it all comes from someone that in this game is a con artist. A predator.

The duplicate scammer is PRO.

Nobody on this thread is asking StS to return items or gold. Simply a message to inform your friends and guildmates about this occurrence because knowledge is power in this case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Motherless_Child View Post
    As much as it does suck to get scammed, especially when you are losing Ker'shals and stuff, if that happens to anyone in my guild they will be immediately booted for being so gullible... DON'T TRUST ANYONE!!! (not yelling, just emphasizing)
    Lol ,aren't you supposed to support them? Well nice guild you have..i think i will really 'feel home' gg,glad my guild isn't this way. If you guys rly boot for getting scammed what kinda guild are you guys then? And what does a guildie mean to you? Apereantly nothing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE TOUCH 4033D met Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I don't know what people are thinking with those negatif reactions, candy said cleary this is to warn us! She should earn a reward for doing stuff like this no one else does. I really life with the people who got scammed ,close friend/guildies/even strangers..no one deserves it except for the scammers themself.

A good punishment would be; let them log in and remove everything from his account! So he would freak out himself for losing stuff. Will be a suprise for them thinking they can still log but all their stuff is gone .

Anyway ty candy for this thread and i'll pass the word!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oezheasate View Post
    Im sorry but what is the goal of doing what you just said? Didnt quite get who you were responding too.
    Essentially, the scammer transforms what is a basic trade command into something that looks like more than a trade command. Most players know what the trade function does. However, at the same time, people do not understand enough computer code to realize that anything after the command is interpreted as garbage and ignored. So, by rendering anything excess of just the command as an error, people will know that something is up.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts

This scammer hit a friend of mine too and the loss nearly made him quit AL. Everything Candy said about cultivating trust over some period of time (my friend knew the scammer during 2x teeth event) is true. While I agree that this is a lesson in itself to the victim, the fact that the scammer is still around after we reported them is infuriating. If STS will do nothing to stop these scammers, the least we can do is spread this knowledge. Good call, Candy. The knights will hear of this.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilhanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diimitrii View Post
    Lol ,aren't you supposed to support them? Well nice guild you have..i think i will really 'feel home' gg,glad my guild isn't this way. If you guys rly boot for getting scammed what kinda guild are you guys then? And what does a guildie mean to you? Apereantly nothing.

I really don't think you are getting the point here. Scammers are bad for the game. We all can agree to that, but in THIS PARTICULAR scamming (DUPLICATING ITEMS SCAM) I really hope you and your guild don't condolence your guildies to try and duplicating items at all because that IS against STS TOS rules. If i were the GM or officers in that guild. I would boot the so call victims too. Cheating is bad for the game ok? get it? got it? Good thnx bye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcurler View Post

But like Candy has stated. This isn't really about the victims, and i had apologized to her in PM about it. I do agree with her that this thread is to make aware of what is going on and you can alert your friends and guildies about it and that is it.
    Yes and I really appreciate the words we had in PM. Dimi it's cool, Blood is fine. This is just a super passionate subject and it's hard to post and be able to explain how deep this scam runs and it's not as simple as what I am posting here. It truly is run by a master manipulator that preys on people... and unless you are close to it like what happened in our guild, then it's easy to say the victim is greedy or stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ilhanna View Post
    This scammer hit a friend of mine too and the loss nearly made him quit AL. Everything Candy said about cultivating trust over some period of time (my friend knew the scammer during 2x teeth event) is true. While I agree that this is a lesson in itself to the victim, the fact that the scammer is still around after we reported them is infuriating. If STS will do nothing to stop these scammers, the least we can do is spread this knowledge. Good call, Candy. The knights will hear of this.
    Thanks Hanna this means a lot. As you know this guy is GOOD. He builds you up, earns your trust, and breaks you down until finally you try the trade. It's not a simple one at all, and why the heck is the exact same guy in the game?!!!!!!!!!! I really REALLY don't understand that. :/