Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: New Players Ignoring AL Because Of Leveling Commitments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avaree View Post
    Then I read the below opening post totally wrong...........
    The simi decent gear was to balance out the increased leveling spead was not meant to give any more gold then they would normally get (sts could easily look at quest and just change them for the new leveling speed, the gear can be non trade also). As for the free items for people that plat leveled possibly if you read after that i basically say it isn't necessary. That was just a idea for if people complained about spending plat to only have XP changed at a later date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

If players think it's 2 hard they most have never played a good rpg or mmorpg. Maybe try the game candy land if this is 2 hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Im a new player, just have one month and half on AL and i recently made a thread about it on suggestions.
    My point of view on this situation is that the amount of exp really doesnt matter if you have a enjoyable road to endgame while upping your character. But that didn't happen on AL. The massive repetition on same map combined with the massive amount of exp do let AL less desired.
    To change it, i belive it would be hard for the developers make a different experience on running maps, because that would require making many new maps and new contents to players. But i think it would be easier to them boost lvl up rate for lowers levels. If we think about it, there is no point to a beginner keep doing repetitive work with any side results but their slowly lvl up (no money, no gear, no different things to experience)
    I can speak about that because after reaching end game i tried to invite some friends to the game offering all the help they need, but they simply don't feel excited with fhe huge commitment.

If you have to run like 15 times dead city and after 15 times kraken isle and after 15 times shuyal. Its no sense. Let the repetition experience to when they got end game lvl, there they could choose by spending plat or spending time on repetitive farm

Enviado de meu XT1523 usando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Felipe Pereira; 05-20-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    IGN: Granitoide

4.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #24
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Great thread! This is a typical problem for MMOs. Generally what happens is as levels increase, the amount of experience needed to reach those levels is decreased. Let me ask you folks a question:

How long do you think it should it take for new players to grind to the end game? Please respond in # of hours.

Thanks!

- g
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Great thread! This is a typical problem for MMOs. Generally what happens is as levels increase, the amount of experience needed to reach those levels is decreased. Let me ask you folks a question:

How long do you think it should it take for new players to grind to the end game? Please respond in # of hours.

Thanks!

- g
    1 week of grinding 3 hours per day. That's how long it was for me in PL to get hooked. As the levels grew on in PL, it became more cumbersome to level. I actually dreaded the start of campaigns sometimes just because of all the grinding that was needed. AL is getting to that point as well in terms of grinding. When I stand in town these days, hardly anyone is L56. Most of the content is geared for end game, so the object to be to get the player to end game as quickly as possible and make him or her a loyal customer. Thus, if the leveling is more than 3 hours per day for one week, IMO, you tend to lose a player's interest.

Also, what you guys did with the underhul set was great. There should be a reward similar to underhul when you reach the cap. It encourages players to farm and get gear to play with which in turn gets you business. After all, all that gear needs to be jeweled! And then, they'll see, there's something even better out there and work towards that as well.
    Last edited by Zeus; 05-20-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I am not sure why people grind so much. I prefer to level while doing something else. For example, this week, I gained 4 levels on various toons while hunting for energy essences. But then again, I am probably a strange mmo player. I preferred remaking L13s in PL rather than leveling to where everyone else was

Star light, star bright...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Thanks!

- g
    To end game? Maybe 200 hours (no elixers,no 2×exp)

End game gear @ end game? 300hrs.that's with leprechaun neck.Without lepre,1000 hours.

This is all consider for 1 character.I'm also interested in seeing what ppl say

When I reach end game with my maxed gear,I want to feel accomplished,not "well I can do this again in a week."

It should take a few months(if you have job ect. Not 6hour grinds a day.) MINIMUM.

Just my opinion.

Many rpgs on pc/console I put in 1k plus hours to get my 95%+ perfect loot.and I still log on to play them iso that 100% perfect loot.

Well if the drops in AL had just a little variation in stats/sockets it would extend your game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

It should definitely take some time. Otherwise, its done in one week and "What other game is next?" It took me months of playing all day everyday to get in the top thousand in solitaire! Why should an mmo be easier? There are actually lots of areas to play in, but veterans jail new players in one or other of the tombs. Why? Because even vets have limited vision.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

a week or so without any elixirs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    It should definitely take some time. Otherwise, its done in one week and "What other game is next?" It took me months of playing all day everyday to get in the top thousand in solitaire! Why should an mmo be easier? There are actually lots of areas to play in, but veterans jail new players in one or other of the tombs. Why? Because even vets have limited vision.
    Yes, but with MMOs, especially the way AL is designed, you don't really start the game until you've capped. All the content is geared towards end game. The current leveling curve could work if there was content for all levels.

However, since there's not, either content should be designed for all levels so players can enjoy leveling and not feel it as much of a grind or the grind should be heavily sped up.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Thanks!

- g
    24 Hours of Non-Stop Grinding in Wt4 /w Xp elixir , without Xp elixir it should take like 36hours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

It's lv 56 cap now, I think sts should decrease xp needed to lv up from 41 to 46 (as they did before, when lv 46, 41,36... came out)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Guys, the beginner get excited with the game while they are noticing evolution of the character. I guess if sts look to their data, They gonna see the amount of retired begginers and their level when stopped. Probably this could help how they could figure out when the game starts to decrease the interest of the player.
    I bet its on the 25-30 lvl the majority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts

Try playing pocket legends when the cap was big and you had no elixir boosts or anything.

Made capping hell of a lot more rewarding also the whole basis of the game is to level up and reach max level and participate in max level activities. I'd rather a long winded level cap than a cap you can complete the day it's released anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

The reality is that the game greatly needs beginning players to get hooked and stay hooked.

More than anything else, new players quit before they are hooked because there is inadequate support. New players beg mightily for someone to help them level up. That is the last thing veteran players want to do and new players sometimes get really offended when we tell them "leveling is your responsibility." What we're really thinking is: "Riiight lemme spend hours and hours of my game time just to level you up. Not gonna happen, noob." Yes, some new players are just lazy, but the task is genuinely daunting and exceedingly boring. Even veteran players find leveling extremely boring. I was really surprised that STS placed such heavy xp requirements on leveling from 46 to 56. Many veteran players do not have the patience for 130k or so of xp grinding.

Thundy's Severely Awesome Guide On How to Get New Players Hooked:

1. Have an abundance of decent mid-range legendary gear available from level 1 through level 46 that drop in old maps. New players also constantly pester veterans for gear.
      • Create new gear: The legendary gear that drops from old maps now is... well... old. It is useless and gets its wearers easily killed. Let's not even discuss epic and below. Just use no-longer-used event gear as a template and recolor.
      • Incorporate an xp bonus stat into some of the gear.
      • Make drops class-dependent: It's exciting having cool gear drop in a map and be able to use it right away. It's part of the process that gets players hooked, aka a positive player experience.
      • Increase the legendary drop rate in old maps.
      • These changes would make old maps more exciting to play and help to 'seal the deal.'

2. Reduce the xp needed per level.
      • I agree with the OP, that it's just too much as it stands now.
      • Many traditional MMOs take around 336 hours (two weeks) of in-game time to level up through endgame. Some more, some less.
      • AL is a mobile MMO in a mobile device market, it should have a pick up and play feel.
      • Max time to level through 1-46 should be 50 hours of actual game time (a long work week). With existing xp boosts, it could maybe get down to around 15-25 hours of actual game time.
      • Also reduce the xp needed to level from 46-56. Knock maybe 15-25% off of each level to make it more manageable. Even with that reduction, it would still be tough going for many!

3. Be willing to go back and tweak xp requirements if they prove to be too little or too much.

Thanks again for hearing us, STS!
    Last edited by Niixed; 05-20-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

It sounds like this isn't a game for those type of ppl. That's ok there's many diffrint games for many types of ppl. Saying that, that doesn't mean we should turn al into angry birds for ppl that don't enjoy mmorpg cuz there will always be hard grinding not always fun but worth it in the end cuz of the hard work u put in in any good mmorpg. What's the point in being caped and maxed in a week? I see absolutely no fun in cheapie ing a game for ppl that use al like they use facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    The reality is that the game greatly needs beginning players to get hooked and stay hooked.

More than anything else, new players quit before they are hooked because there is inadequate support. New players beg mightily for someone to help them level up. That is the last thing veteran players want to do and new players sometimes get really offended when we tell them "leveling is your responsibility." What we're really thinking is: "Riiight lemme spend hours and hours of my game time just to level you up. Not gonna happen, noob." Yes, some new players are just lazy, but the task is genuinely daunting and exceedingly boring. Even veteran players find leveling extremely boring. I was really surprised that STS placed such heavy xp requirements on leveling from 46 to 56. Many veteran players do not have the patience for 130k or so of xp grinding.

Thundy's Severely Awesome Guide On How to Get New Players Hooked:

1. Have an abundance of decent mid-range legendary gear available from level 1 through level 46 that drop in old maps. New players also constantly pester veterans for gear.
      • Create new gear: The legendary gear that drops from old maps now is... well... old. It is useless and gets its wearers easily killed. Let's not even discuss epic and below. Just use no-longer-used event gear as a template and recolor.
      • Incorporate an xp bonus stat into some of the gear.
      • Make drops class-dependent: It's exciting having cool gear drop in a map and be able to use it right away. It's part of the process that gets players hooked, aka a positive player experience.
      • Increase the legendary drop rate in old maps.
      • These changes would make old maps more exciting to play and help to 'seal the deal.'

2. Reduce the xp needed per level.
      • I agree with the OP, that it's just too much as it stands now.
      • Many traditional MMOs take around 336 hours (two weeks) of in-game time to level up through endgame. Some more, some less.
      • AL is a mobile MMO in a mobile device market, it should have a pick up and play feel.
      • Max time to level through 1-46 should be 50 hours of actual game time (a long work week). With existing xp boosts, it could maybe get down to around 15-25 hours of actual game time.
      • Also reduce the xp needed to level from 46-56. Knock maybe 15-25% off of each level to make it more manageable. Even with that reduction, it would still be tough going for many!

3. Be willing to go back and tweak xp requirements if they prove to be too little or too much.

Thanks again for hearing us, STS!
    Man you just did the best answer possible on this thread i dont have words to say it properly.
    It's really great, i promisse that if this implemented i will create a new char to grind lvl.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

New gear for low levels is not needed.I started from 0 gold.I made a mage and earned every single gold I have accumulated.before I looted some big money items I was still around 40k kills and barely over a hundred deaths.that's on a shoestring budget,at the lv46 cap.

GAMERS ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE SPOILED AND LAZY.I REMEMBER WHEN U WOULD FEEL ACCOMPLISHED FOR GRINDING A MAP HUNDREDS OF TIMES OVER TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

NOW it's turned into,"it's too hard,pander to us who are lazy".

There are many many different ways to level up.you do not NEED to run tombs.YES,it is the fastest way but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

If people cannot take the time to read guides on these issues then who fault is it?not sts for making a challenging game.

Present day,a large majority of gamers are so spoiled they don't even want to level their character!what is that?

People say,"well its a mobile game,it shouldn't be like this."Arcane Legends is by far the Greatest mmorpg made for mobile to present day.

You surely can go play a different mmorpg on mobile,see how often that gets updates,you will be back here.

So instead of complaining and sitting in towns with your thumb you know where,go learn the game and play.If it's to hard for you,then it's to hard for you.

Don't tell me I got to level 10 easy and now it's hard.THINK,why is it so easy to get to level ten?

There is no need to lower the amount of experience needed.People that do not want to put in the work,must not really like this game like a lot of us do.

So people at end game should be saying: "drop rates to low for end game gear,make it easier to get".

Just because it sounds good,doesn't mean it's good for sts and AL.

All is just an opinion and I know people agree with me.If mods want to delete my post that's fine,the fact remains true.

Make last level earned 100k experience please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye229 View Post
    New gear for low levels is not needed.I started from 0 gold.I made a mage and earned every single gold I have accumulated.before I looted some big money items I was still around 40k kills and barely over a hundred deaths.that's on a shoestring budget,at the lv46 cap.

GAMERS ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE SPOILED AND LAZY.I REMEMBER WHEN U WOULD FEEL ACCOMPLISHED FOR GRINDING A MAP HUNDREDS OF TIMES OVER TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

NOW it's turned into,"it's too hard,pander to us who are lazy".

There are many many different ways to level up.you do not NEED to run tombs.YES,it is the fastest way but that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

If people cannot take the time to read guides on these issues then who fault is it?not sts for making a challenging game.

Present day,a large majority of gamers are so spoiled they don't even want to level their character!what is that?

People say,"well its a mobile game,it shouldn't be like this."Arcane Legends is by far the Greatest mmorpg made for mobile to present day.

You surely can go play a different mmorpg on mobile,see how often that gets updates,you will be back here.

So instead of complaining and sitting in towns with your thumb you know where,go learn the game and play.If it's to hard for you,then it's to hard for you.

Don't tell me I got to level 10 easy and now it's hard.THINK,why is it so easy to get to level ten?

There is no need to lower the amount of experience needed.People that do not want to put in the work,must not really like this game like a lot of us do.

So people at end game should be saying: "drop rates to low for end game gear,make it easier to get".

Just because it sounds good,doesn't mean it's good for sts and AL.

All is just an opinion and I know people agree with me.If mods want to delete my post that's fine,the fact remains true.

Make last level earned 100k experience please.
    What made AL successful in the first place? At the beginning it was only 16 levels. The first 5 levels were ridiculously easy, the next 10 levels were a little more difficult, and the last level, 16, was the most difficult. BUT, capping at 16 wasn't all that hard, really! The next few expansions were designed for players who were already 16 or 21, knowing that it wasn't that difficult to level a little more.

Every single successful game ever is always 1) easy at first (to get you hooked) and 2) more difficult later on.

Right now the situation in AL is 1) difficult at first and 2) even more difficult later on. Not good!

This isn't about catering to laziness, it's about retaining player interest and allowing the beginning player to grow, have fun and become a part of the community. Most people have to like a game before they're willing to put real effort into playing it or paying for it. This is also about competition, there are so many developers working hard for player involvement and player dollars (or euros or pick a currency). STS can't afford to ignore market realities, and neither should we ignore them.

New players need to be at least somewhat incubated before you give them the hard knocks or make them take the rough road. Boatloads of XP grinding with bad gear is like a rocky mountain pass, most don't travel on it.
    Last edited by Niixed; 05-20-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Yeah pretty words but a game that says"oh well,you think it's to hard?we will make it easier just for you guys"will not last long.

What popular,still relevant mmorpgs can you list that you can get to max level in a week or two are still fun after..4months of capped?6months?

Now if you worked hard as F to get to max level do you think you would appreciate the things you do more or less than taking the easier route to get there?

What it comes down to is this:

You like a game that's challenging?or you like a game that is easy?AL is both (the way it should be)

Why should new players get this advantage?please?they should all start with a leprechaun neck too so that they can instantly farm crates for income.I bet a lot of you would agree on that too.

If you don't understand what it takes to make a mmorpg have legs,then you will probably disagree with me.

Longevity is the key.

Blizzard would not be if a lot of you were in charge.

Earn your way up or do not complain.

PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW AL IS DIFFICULT AT THE BEGINNING?ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    IT DOESNT EVEN BEGIN TO GET HARD UNTILL U GET OVER HALFWAY TO LVL CAP.

I'll debate this to the bone.
    Lol@ anyone who think you should be able to cap (from fresh start) in under 100 hours.you don't understand how much above AL is against any other mmorpg maker for mobile.they doing it right.

Edit: I could make a mage wearing epics I found and still not struggle till at least LVL 20.depends on how good a player you are.
    Last edited by Eagle Eye229; 05-20-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: You will see