Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Avengers Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    I like the dude with GUILD OWNER in his signature saying another dude is too controlling.

I'm sorry for the mini-troll, it's just sort of funny. I've never played a single game where someone called themselves GUILD OWNER.

Might as well stick a © or a ® somewhere in the sig...
    LOL, wasnt meaning it like that, was more or less to symbolize that im just the head of the guild. But im chainging it now to Guild leader. I see where your coming form on this point. hahah
    The Avengers - Guild Leader
    Silentreaper lvl 40 ~ Archer ~ BattleBird ~
    Undeadspirit lvl 40 ~ Chanter ~ BattleMage ~ 25 m/s
    Kungfubeast lvl 40 ~ Warrior ~ BattleTank ~ 21 h/s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guildleader or Guildmaster is the standard nomenclature. It's just sort of funny, lol. I mean, given that most people playing Pocket Legends are not familiar with guilds it's not a big deal, but, Guild Owner does come across more....... dictator-ish than say, Guildleader or Guildmaster. A lot of guilds create ranks based upon the particular game they are playing at the time, but there is just not enough lore in PL to come up with anything that would make much sense. At least in my opinion.

The standard "generic" MMO guild ranking system is - Guildmaster, Council, Officer, Member, Applicant/Trial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    ok, so now your both using the same guild banner, and guild name?

http://legendaryavengers.forumotion.net/forum.htm

http://theavengersguild.forumotion.net/

and the one that flamin made copied my quote, but he's 13 so it's ok I guess.

So, we are 2 separate guilds now?

This all seems very Complex for me and I just want to make sure I am getting this all correct...
    This whole situation is so FAIL... i honestly can't stop laughing reading these websites.
    My favorite was Flamin misspelling his status as "legenday elite master"...

And Silent deleting his forums and claiming it was an accident... then stealing the logo that Flamin made by stealing the World of Warcraft alliance symbol.. Priceless

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seriously did not delete his website, it mat have been that some1 jacked my stuff with a keylogger, i had to change every password on my computer. And about the guild logo, i know that it was gotten from the alliance symbol from WOW however when you take an image and change any one thing on it it then becomes a newly created image. So, technically nobody has "stolen" any logo from another person. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the WoW logo is a copyrighted intellectual property and creative work. Technically it is infringement, especially if you're only changing "one thing". However, you're not a commercial enterprise nor attempting to gain any profit or future gain at the expense of the logo. So in reality you're cool, but seriously, it is copyright infringement. And I am vehemently against copyright and the way it works, too - just wanted to make this issue clear. Copyright is an archaic system that should really be thrown in the trash. There are other new ways of dealing with the issues of property, like Creative Commons licensing, etc. It's actually quite interesting stuff because of all the changes going on currently. There's a dude name Lawrence Lessig, a professor at like Yale or Harvard or something, he's the main proprietor of Creative Commons and changing the way things like Trademarks patents creative works licensing and property are currently configured. I'm a modest freelance artist so I find it to be really cutting edge, in a dorky way.
    Last edited by Diz; 06-03-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lol, guild drama. This is why I'm not launching mine till guilds actually come out.

Flaimdude: Lvl31 Mage Flaimer: Lvl15 Arch Flaimior: Lvl14 Bear
    "If you're not careful asommers will catch up to you lol" ~Royce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flaimdude View Post
    Lol, guild drama. This is why I'm not launching mine till guilds actually come out.
    Me neither, mines gonna be a sick guild.

IM BACK BABY!
    DEATHLYKNIGHT-DEATHLYRANGER-DEATHLYMAGE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    Actually, the WoW logo is a copyrighted intellectual property and creative work. Technically it is infringement, especially if you're only changing "one thing". However, you're not a commercial enterprise nor attempting to gain any profit or future gain at the expense of the logo. So in reality you're cool, but seriously, it is copyright infringement. And I am vehemently against copyright and the way it works, too - just wanted to make this issue clear. Copyright is an archaic system that should really be thrown in the trash. There are other new ways of dealing with the issues of property, like Creative Commons licensing, etc. It's actually quite interesting stuff because of all the changes going on currently. There's a dude name Lawrence Lessig, a professor at like Yale or Harvard or something, he's the main proprietor of Creative Commons and changing the way things like Trademarks patents creative works licensing and property are currently configured. I'm a modest freelance artist so I find it to be really cutting edge, in a dorky way.
    Okay, a few months ago i checked on the whole copyright thing and with getting a logo i created copyrighted. I asked how it actually all works and the consultant told me that the way people copyright things depends on how they can be redesigned, lets take this alliance logo as an example. Unless blizzard or any other person, doesn't even have to be a business. unless they copyright each individual symbol, the whole symbol/banner, and additional stuff, i can take and change anything on the image and re copyright it as my own. Look at it again, if i were to take SS emblem, the shield with PL in it, and change a small detail, such as color and maybe take the crown and tilt it the other direction. Then i could use is as another games logo i were to create. Technically, unless they were to go back design and copyright each of those images individually then put them together as stated then copyright, i could use as my own. I agree that this sorta thing wouldn't be very polite and would be frowned upon but legally, id be in the right. I also dont think this is a very good way to "legally" own something. They do need to come up with a better way so that this loophole isn't there. XD just a little about what a consultant told me when i was creating a banner for something i was doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In most cases, simply saying something is copyrighted is more than enough to show legal precedent and substantial merit of ownership. It's really easy. That's why things like logos, etc. typically are copyrighted.

But that doesn't mean you can alter copyrighted material slightly and then call it copyrighted yourself or even try and pass it off in some sort of commercial enterprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Silentreaper View Post
    Okay, a few months ago i checked on the whole copyright thing and with getting a logo i created copyrighted. I asked how it actually all works and the consultant told me that the way people copyright things depends on how they can be redesigned, lets take this alliance logo as an example. Unless blizzard or any other person, doesn't even have to be a business. unless they copyright each individual symbol, the whole symbol/banner, and additional stuff, i can take and change anything on the image and re copyright it as my own. Look at it again, if i were to take SS emblem, the shield with PL in it, and change a small detail, such as color and maybe take the crown and tilt it the other direction. Then i could use is as another games logo i were to create. Technically, unless they were to go back design and copyright each of those images individually then put them together as stated then copyright, i could use as my own. I agree that this sorta thing wouldn't be very polite and would be frowned upon but legally, id be in the right. I also dont think this is a very good way to "legally" own something. They do need to come up with a better way so that this loophole isn't there. XD just a little about what a consultant told me when i was creating a banner for something i was doing.
    Yea... everything you said here gets stomped by a good legal team.
    Edit: see my sig, its modified Blizzard property. I'm not making profit off it so its generally accepted as an acceptable usage but it belongs to Blizzard. They can tell you not to use it it. This consultant that you spoke with has a somewhat flawed understanding of copyright law.

Seriously though, we simply make fun of you for it because of how many times the legendary alliance of giberish has copied an idea or image.. and now you are using the their exact same image, and they are using your guild name!
    Last edited by Azrael; 06-03-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ACTUALLY, They have a Copyright license that says even if you change it a hell of a lot, you still can't use it publicly without consent from Blizzard. Stop trying to say that you can use any wow image. It is like me getting the wow logo and putting a tiny 'font 1' O at the bottom corner and saying, I edited it!
    NO MATTER WHAT, I AM PROUD TO HAVE OWNED THE FIRST EVER GUILD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    Also, just wanted to add...are the team songs, colors, pictures, font, bed time stories still the same as well or are you both going to be re-drafting all of those?
    Haha, I almost fell off my chair reading that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    Haha, I almost fell off my chair reading that.
    Lol, I thought it was pretty funny!!
    Xanthia - Enchantress
    Guild Leader of Venom
    Guild Website - www.venom-guild.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, it was only for the merge is why i created it with that logo, however, i plan to be changing it very soon, but nontheless. I asked my aunt today because she is a lawyer and thought she might know a little. Turns out this is one of her main areas of study because she too saw a flaw in the whole system and wanted to study it more to see where exactly they thought it made sense. She also agreed that with what y'all are saying yet, she also said that in the court of law they would NOT be able to prove you guilty if you had taken an image, altered it, then re copyrighted it. They would throw the case out the window and all charges of infringement would be dropped. She said even if one were to take 5 different logos from different sources and then completely smooshed them together, like blending them somehow, they would then violate the copyright and then would be considered a "new" image altogether. LOL, just what i was able to dig up today when i looked into this a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    ACTUALLY, They have a Copyright license that says even if you change it a hell of a lot, you still can't use it publicly without consent from Blizzard. Stop trying to say that you can use any wow image. It is like me getting the wow logo and putting a tiny 'font 1' O at the bottom corner and saying, I edited it!
    Its not so much as that. There are restrictions to the "loophole" i really dont care and this convo is pointless. but still, as stated before. They ARE NOT able to like press charges especially if its not used to gain profits. Now if one were to start making money from it then im sure it would drop into a whole other category, and might be able to be charged and then even claim all the profits made leading up to that date. Im not sure, i think i read something like this awhile back but im not sure. Anyways. im dont with this little arguement, im pleased with the information i got from legal advisors. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I clicked on this thread as i decided to join the avengers a few days ago and thought this topic would be of some importance to me

i was sadly mistaken...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Violentsaint View Post
    I clicked on this thread as i decided to join the avengers a few days ago and thought this topic would be of some importance to me

i was sadly mistaken...
    LOL, hey did u manage to make your way to our new guild site yet? follow link in my sig if not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

When in game guilds are avalable I hope theyll be guild halls and capes and etc lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the sound of that
    NO MATTER WHAT, I AM PROUD TO HAVE OWNED THE FIRST EVER GUILD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentreaper View Post
    LOL, hey did u manage to make your way to our new guild site yet? follow link in my sig if not.
    Well considering u made me fill out an application when joining saying that I found out about the site from you even tho you know who told me because you apparently own the guild...

Yes I think I have =)
    Last edited by Violentsaint; 06-04-2010 at 02:49 PM.