Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: If You Had A Child Who Was Around 10 Years Old Would You Let Them Play PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    In fact, I doubt either could use their Ipod on a regular basis because they are never charged.
    LOL - That is one of the many terms of my child being able to use iPad. He MUST plug into charger after use! No charge=banned for day! Harsh consequences

But there have been several comments about language and chat in the posts that I wanted to address. The "bad" language in my experience is not a common thing and I play a lot. 99% of players seem to use appropriate discretion in what they say in game chat. I think as a whole the community of players is pretty good about this. The chat filters, when enabled, do a pretty good job. While there are always ways around chat filters, this doesn't appear to be a real problem. And the devs are currently working on features that will potentially automatically ban violators of the language restrictions when chatting. So they are aware of the issue and working hard to address it when it does occur in those rare instances.
    You know what? I agree with you. I totally forgot about the chat filters (doh!). I had turned them off because they were annoying to me as an adult. I agree with you that they would probably do the job for a 10-year-old that actually listens to his parent still (which mine does). I guess I would change my answer to a YES. I would let him play...with occasional supervision. Of course, he would not be caught dead playing this game. Minecraft is his current obsession

Also, I have no problem reporting those that violate the language restrictions in an abusive way. The report button is there for this very reason. Players shouldn't hessitate to use it when neccessary to alert the devs to a problem player. I hope other players do the same. We all have some responsibility as players to keep this game as the devs intended.
    I used to just turn a blind eye and think "not my problem; not my kid" until I read a recent comment from someone on this forum. Better to teach the offender a lesson now (assumption that it is young offender), then to have them experience repercussions of inappropriate computer usage on job as an adult. Being banned from a game can teach a lesson; fired from a job will follow you for rest of career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would let my 10 year old play" with" me but not alone. Sheltering your child from all danger is a good way to get them killed. There are some games more geared for younger kids that have filters, even number filters so you can't give out personal info. I would stick with those games until they were a little older. I don't plan on looking over their shoulder every second. I will however have all instant messaging, Texting, and in game chat logged so I can view it. Yes without their knowledge. Feel free to rant a little about that lol. I want my kids safe but im not going to lock them in a cage to do it.
    Charmonda: He started dancing on me and so I started dancing on him. You now how we do:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right with ya romgar1...
    Rusalio~Lvl 75 Tank|Dexalio~Lvl 75 Archer|MaGalio~Lvl 76 Mage|[COLOR="red"]| plus 100 more...Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree I was just wondering what you guys thought and the whole buying the iPod, or iPad, or SmartPhone just count that out. With the assumption that every child at 10 got an iPod or something like that to play PL what would you do? The sad part is about all the bad chat is that it comes from people around the ages of 13 -14 and they don't care if they get banned or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I could trust my 4 year olds to not break my phone I'd let them farm for me. They can't read anyway.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeazety View Post
    If I could trust my 4 year olds to not break my phone I'd let them farm for me. They can't read anyway.
    Multiples? Twins? Trips? I know, its off topic.

New York... can't you just read my accent?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 9 year old BEGGING me to make him a character... But I will not let him play. Kids that age have very addictive personalities and I'd rather he was outside playing baseball, reading a book, doing his schoolwork or just interacting with others his age.

Besides if I let him play... Then I COULDN'T and the iPad is MY toy

And I too agree with others, I don't shelter my kids... I watch them closely.... From a distance
    Last edited by Sharisiggies; 04-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #28
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,528 Posts

I do not recommend it. Minimum age according to the Terms of Service is 13.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will let both of my kids play on iPod touch they are 9 and 11 they both have one. Every kid is different some are more mature at a younger age than others
    Both my kids have taken exceptional care of their iPods and my 11 year old is getting a cell phone this month all depends on the kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post

-ALS
    Interesting...you do know that the rating at the iTunes store is for 9+ I assume?

I really need to read the finer details for Terms of Service!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand that Dev, but in the iTunes store it says 9+ that was kind of why I was confused and made this forum. I'm not a parent but I thought that this would be an interesting topic and am glad that you as a dev take interest into this. Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post

-ALS
    Good idea... I guess making them farm recipes in the deli could violate child labor laws.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Good idea... I guess making them farm recipes in the deli could violate child labor laws.
    Better to teach them to clean bathrooms and vacuum so that your time is freed up for farming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    Multiples? Twins? Trips? I know, its off topic.
    Steps.

They look close enough so we just tell everyone they are twins... much easier than explaining. Although once after telling someone that they weren't twins the person said to me "Oooooh... one with the wife and one with the girlfriend?".
    Last edited by Zeazety; 04-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Actona679 View Post
    Better to teach them to clean bathrooms and vacuum so that your time is freed up for farming
    They are pretty good at cleaning when you micromanage it for them. Simply saying "clean your room" usually results in someone washing the carpet with toothpaste or deciding the books on the shelf look better as steps to the bed.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Steps.

They look close enough so we just tell everyone they are twins... much easier than explaining. Although once after telling someone that they weren't twins the person said to me "Oooooh... one with the wife and one with the girlfriend?".
    Ahh I see. I have 1 year old twins with twins on the way. Thank God for PL. my 360 and wii havent been turned on in almost 8 months.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

This site is intended for individuals over the age of 13. Any information collected is intended to be of individuals over the age of 13. According to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (also known as COPPA), our site does NOT cater to children. "Operators of commercial websites or online services directed to children under 13 that collect personal information from children" require a COPPA agreement and privacy policy. Since we do not cater to this age group, no COPPA compliance exists on the Site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The issue here should not be a question about pl as a whole. Though there are some moments vulger usage of words occure, i see this occure the MOST from the games youth who, find swearing and sexual things to be funny or cool.

I personaly feel that pl has the best protection in place when it comes to on line youth protection, the report player and ability to e mail ss to the dev team works and works well, many of these players are banned the expicit ones are terminated via devise not just e mail, this group of devs do NOT tolerate the behavior spoken of here, to further that their implimentation on computerized silences, and accou t suspension, (curentley in works) this will weed out many of the players who make pl a challange for youth in the community. Though some other players may receive treatment of silance and bans, i am confident the devs will look at cases as they arise.

The subject here is really, should a ten year old play any of these interactive games.. Having played in other games that parents might feel are ok for kids, they are very wrong some games should be rated R verging on X. These games do not have developers who are as convicted as pl devs to keep pl open to people of all ages. One solution to this in pl is.. Parents attain log in and passwords for childrens accounts, if they have infact purchased an i pod,phone or pad for their child ( pc's) as well. In pl make the game a family affair, meaning you can play when i am available, allowing you to report players that are not being appropriate, speak in main room so your child can see you stand on what you have taught them. We can not protect our children from all this is impossible in the day we live in, somone here said our children hear worse in school, this is very true and out in the communities we live. Parents need to educate their children.

The best part of youth in pl is when i stand in forest haven and a youngmplayer begins to speak to a player who is perverse or cussing, these chikdren respond to the players as they where taught to " pleas dont speak like that" and "everyone report that player!" the youth ban together and begin hitting report and ignore. Guss what parents job well done your children have it!!

I know of several 12 and under players on pl, as the "olders" in the game.. Bringing your parenting skills and communications to the game, encourages the behavior that is positive, if no one speaks up and you do on the main boards a rally of players begin to echo repot that player and put them on your ignore list, and this works! Many youngmplayers have given me thanks for saying somthing saying your cool ! Or thank you. So parents are responsible but if they are not there adopt an attitude of if he/she where mine i would.....

Just my thoughts
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    Ahh I see. I have 1 year old twins with twins on the way. Thank God for PL. my 360 and wii havent been turned on in almost 8 months.
    I hear you... I couldn't imagine two sets of twins although with our luck that is probably what will happen.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, the answer is easy... No 10yo of mine would even have a cell phone to play the game on... In fact; I find the censorship of PL quite annoying, ridiculous and highly unwarranted... If a parent thinks their child is responsible enough to have a cell phone (especially one with data service); conversation in PL should be the least of their worries...
    IGN(s):
    Zionhorizon (Lv5x Noob)
    Stuntxdouble (Lv5x Super noob)
    Footxloose (lvxx?? Ultra combo noob)