Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Private Messages...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azerothraven View Post
    “Few scammers?” Do you know which game you are taking about?

Go out to paradise pier and give 1m to anyone and there is like 99% chance none of them will return it. It’s not just about the scammers that exist, it just encourages the concept which will imply it will be easier to get away with more scams.
    Thats why you need to play smart...learn to detect a scammer and you won’t let scammed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    596 Posts

I think this option is coming with expansion, thankgawd! No more random pm from ppl selling crap! https://www.spacetimestudios.com/att...4&d=1527102056
    Check out this new chat option posted in updates sneak peak!
    I’m rubber and you’re glue, what bounces off me, sticks on you..
    Stop assuming my posts are emotional. I don’t care that much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oakmaiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

I’m confused about that though. For the pm, if 2 ppl are texting u at the same time what happens then??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

What happens to the commands such as /tell or /r ...what if friends pm u will it automatically go to the pm setting?
    Tbh this is gonna confuse me a lot xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts

Go out to paradise pier and give 1m to anyone and there is like 99% chance none of them will return it. It’s not just about the scammers that exist, it just encourages the concept which will imply it will be easier to get away with more scams.
    Hey, I'm with you, I don't want to make it easier for scammers either, cause we all know scammers are like cockroaches in this game. You just can't ever seem to kill them off. But it seems like this idea would help more with preventing scamming than helping it. IMO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thekragle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoNuke View Post
    Anti Social? o.O Umm Its just a privacy option and almost every major mmo has it.
    Its very handy and helpful when you are busy and/or are afk, makes people aware that you are not just ignoring them but are actually busy or away.
    Yeah things sound good on paper but this system would be abused and a lot would just go on dnd as either an excuse or to be "anti social".

Btw, I wouldn't consider AL a major mmo, I assume the active player base is small today and this option wouldn't improve the game or bring new players to the game. In opinion, it would make people less likely to play as they could assume a person will just be on dnd and go on end to avoid talking to people. That doesn't seem impossible right? At least the way it is now you can have some sort of communication even if its one sided. Sometimes people just need to relay a msg to others or drop by to say hi.

How would you feel if you found out a friend of yours who was your friend for a long time logged on just to say hi to you or something( maybe that's the only reason to log on for them) . wouldn't you feel some way if you didn't get that messege because you didn't want to hurt others feelings by not being able to instantly messege another back?

Its also very handy to see messeges that are important even if its only 1/20 you get.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostNoob For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

...or you can just let them know when you finish the run. It’s not like your friends can’t wait 2-10 min. No maps in AL should take longer than that to run but even so

This will be abused by scammers so much. They will scam and turn messages off so the victim/ victim’s friend can’t message them. Usually if you put enough pressure and tons of people to a scammer they give back in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of us play for about two hours at a time and when I'm done running elites or maus I just hop offline no time to reply to multiple PMS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    I am aware that this post may meet with some resistance but here goes. Would it be possible to have an option that would make it possible to turn private messages off please? I know there is an ignore option but I don't wish to put all my friends on the ignore list..that would just be silly. Sometimes, when I'm in a hard map or maybe just browsing through the auction, crafting some jewels or just don't feel like chatting it would be handy to have an automatic message sent saying, "this person is busy at the moment and is not receiving messages". It would be an option that stopped all messages from everyone..this would ensure that friends would not feel offended or singled out. More or less like the option to reject trade or party invitations but worded in a more polite manner. Then later when you're finished being busy, you can switch messaging back on and no-one has their feelings hurt. Remember, I recommended the option would turn all private messages off..not individuals.

Actually not a bad "thought"..................

I hate nothing more than being interrupted while running maps and those PMs come in.... I'm like, "hummmmmm, didn't this individual see that i'm in a map when selected my name from the friends list"........

I had a similar "thought" for when briefly AFK.... It would be good to have an auto response so when you are "AFK" people PMing you can know that........

I can also see it as an overall "social enhancer"........................... *Laughs Out Loud*.......................

Just a "thought"......
    Last edited by Motherless_Child; 06-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Official Signature Of Dot Com Entertainment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Happiness has been linked to social interaction. JS.
    I would like to see some citations here and no, Wikipedia doesn’t count as references .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Scammers can put you on ignore, it's not entirely different

Somewhere beyond and between here and nowhere...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostNoob View Post
    Yeah things sound good on paper but this system would be abused and a lot would just go on dnd as either an excuse or to be "anti social".

Btw, I wouldn't consider AL a major mmo, I assume the active player base is small today and this option wouldn't improve the game or bring new players to the game. In opinion, it would make people less likely to play as they could assume a person will just be on dnd and go on end to avoid talking to people. That doesn't seem impossible right? At least the way it is now you can have some sort of communication even if its one sided. Sometimes people just need to relay a msg to others or drop by to say hi.

How would you feel if you found out a friend of yours who was your friend for a long time logged on just to say hi to you or something( maybe that's the only reason to log on for them) . wouldn't you feel some way if you didn't get that messege because you didn't want to hurt others feelings by not being able to instantly messege another back?

Its also very handy to see messeges that are important even if its only 1/20 you get.
    Being social or antisocial is a personal choice. But that should not even be a debate here as playing mmo has nothing to do with being social - two different things.

We are just asking the option to be available to the user. It can be toggled on when you want privacy and toggled off when you like to interact with others.

Having the option wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day its upto you to use it or not. If you are suppose to be ignored then you will be ignored irrespective of the option being present or not.

If your logic was applied to today's social media then there will be no privacy. Ever wondered why there are different lock option in the house settings in AL? Why there is Reject party/friends/trade option made available? Its all part of privacy.
    Retired
    Tired of Dead Guilds & Offline FL? Click Here!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsychoNuke For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I like the idea.
    +1
    If there would be a competition for stupidity, I would be second. Cause I’m stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts

Mod or dev comment please? I can feel tensions rising a bit and I'm guessing some of us would appreciate a referee about now .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Having the option wouldn't hurt.
    I think you didn’t read, understand or underestimate the negative effects this will have on the community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spheresome View Post
    Scammers can put you on ignore, it's not entirely different
    Yes but I can ask all my friends to message him and try get item back and I doubt he will block all 50-200 actives players out of 2500 people I have as friends.

Is someone tries pm then it won’t matter with “turn of pm”how many people try to get to his/her scammer conscious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

I think you didn’t read, understand or underestimate the negative effects this will have on the community.

I think this could be very beneficial to turn of private messages, especially after pvp.

Not many success stories in AL where a scammer was guilted in to giving back items.
    Avy
    12-2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    529 Posts

Sorry I started this. I honestly didn't think asking for a private message option would cause so much controversy. I just wanted it because I didn't wish to hurt anyone's feelings if I found myself in a position where I was unable to reply to all private messages. I can't see how it would be detrimental to the game in any aspect. I never meant for this thread to cause people to argue..that was not my intention, quite the reverse. I would be grateful if a dev would step in and close it as it is not serving any useful purpose now and I'm feeling rather unhappy. Thankyou to all those who gave positive and constructive feedback. 🙂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avaree View Post
    I think this could be very beneficial to turn of private messages, especially after pvp.

Not many success stories in AL where a scammer was guilted in to giving back items.
    No but it gives hope which is a powerful thing in AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    Sorry I started this. I honestly didn't think asking for a private message option would cause so much controversy. I just wanted it because I didn't wish to hurt anyone's feelings if I found myself in a position where I was unable to reply to all private messages. I can't see how it would be detrimental to the game in any aspect. I never meant for this thread to cause people to argue..that was not my intention, quite the reverse. I would be grateful if a dev would step in and close it as it is not serving any useful purpose now and I'm feeling rather unhappy. Thankyou to all those who gave positive and constructive feedback. ��
    We are all just having a fun discussion. It is an interesting and important feature and we need to look thoroughly before considering it for implementation or not. This is what a forum is for after all.

P.S.
    It is not right to ask to close the thread because it no longer align with your interest since this feature would affect everyone in AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Being social or antisocial is a personal choice. But that should not even be a debate here as playing mmo has nothing to do with being social - two different things.

We are just asking the option to be available to the user. It can be toggled on when you want privacy and toggled off when you like to interact with others.

Having the option wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day its upto you to use it or not. If you are suppose to be ignored then you will be ignored irrespective of the option being present or not.

If your logic was applied to today's social media then there will be no privacy. Ever wondered why there are different lock option in the house settings in AL? Why there is Reject party/friends/trade option made available? Its all part of privacy.

Well said (:
    Avy
    12-2012

@ the intersection of Tea. Earl Grey. Hot and Damn Fine Cup of Coffee.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

A "Hide" feature was used in another mmo I use to play. You just appear offline. If friends send you a message it still shows and they then know you are using the hide feature. It would be just a mild deterrent.

An "afk" or "busy" feature with a customizable message is another thing I've seen used in mmo's. This allows you to customize a response to private messages. It stays active til disabled. It was quite a nice feature.

It's not anti-social..and we can't forego quality of life upgrades because "scammers" might abuse the feature. If all decisions in games were based on whether or not scammers would exploit it...we wouldn't have much of a game left.

Join the AL Community Discord!https://discord.gg/VrMWZ8t
    Retired Coffeegirl, Veep Of Arlor, 2016

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post: