Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The State of Pocket Legends in 2019

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Lacklustre Tutorial

To successfully capture the interest of a new player, the tutorial needs to encompass all aspects of the current game – not just the old ones. I understand that the last time the tutorial was updated, a client update was needed. To avoid this, perhaps, the tutorial could simply direct new players to the guides (written by the respective users) on forums for using the CS, farming (for farming use the CS one or this) and class roles. Also, an excellent place to direct new players is to this guide compendium by Redbridge – seriously, I spent hours poring over this when I first started.

Another part of the game that is almost a necessity nowadays is daily blessings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflwershine
    The quest line does encourage you to collect your daily blessings from the Elf Queen, which guarantees you a combination blessing. Which gives you a better percentage to loot a pink (legendary).
    The problem with the questline is that im sure many players would skip this quest and just run further up to kill mobs. By putting it in the tutorial it will allow players to know that blessing exist and hopefully that they are worth using. I fully suggest moving the NPC pictured below into the tutorial, so that players know what to do before they start their adventure.

Perhaps a good way to cover all this information is to send players to forest haven towne immediately after finishing the tutorial. After this, they would be directed to the towne crier, who would link them to the respective guides. All credit to Dolloway for the idea about the towne crier, he was the one who told me about it. Perhaps it could look like this? The guide to enchantments by Sunflwrshine can be found here.

The CS is essential for making money in this game, and also gearing yourself for the dungeons to come. However, as a new player, first opening the CS might be really confusing. I know when I first used it, I always thought each bird would have a different selection of items because I was never told it would be any different. The tutorial definitely needs to describe how the CS works, and it would be far better if this was done in game than out of game via forums.

Another thing that needs to be explained is: where you go after you finish the tutorial. New players need to be told that the magic portal will always lead them to the next quest they haven’t completed if they have any active – I have met veteran players that do not know this.

Though it isn’t directly related to the tutorial… upon reaching 77, there needs to be a prompt about where you go. I know I was completely lost for a few days because I didn’t understand how the new maps worked.

Though these are solutions that don’t involve revamping the tutorial, it will still leave many players totally lost. The only way to fully ensure that a new player won’t be confused is to extend the tutorial length to level 4 so that there can be a section where the player is guided through listing some arbitrary item on the CS.

The tutorial needs a revamp at some point – the sooner the better – even returning players who have played since early 2010 are still struggling to understand the various niches that the game now possesses. Imagine what a new player would feel like.
    The hardest thing when you start off on a game is information overload. Learning how to navigate the game and completing simple tasks is all new.
    This is entirely true, I don’t think any new player would completely understand how this game works without an extended tutorial.

Player suggestions that I don’t know where to put:

Reverse CS

This has been suggested by many, and is quickly explained by the player Snacking in the forums somewhere:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snacking
    Hear me out
    What if a reverse cs was added to the game?
    Instead of listing your items for the price you want to SELL them for in the regular cs, you can list the price you want to BUY items for in the reverse cs. Players can go in, click on the price someone has offered for the desired item that they have, press sell, then confirm.
    I know what you’re thinking, well what if they list that they’re buying something for 10m then spend 2m on something else? Are they just 2m in debt?
    No
    To successfully list the item you are buying, you must deposit GOLD into the reverse cs until someone claims the gold in exchange for their item.

Hopefully everyone understands the concept I’m getting at. I feel like this addition would be game changing.
    Like and Dislike Button for Toxic Players

I’m certain this has been mentioned in the past and will probably never be added. However, it would be a good way to monitor foul language that is said on occasion – perhaps it deserves some more thought by the devs?

Extra Thoughts From Players

This autolevelling option will be a welcome addition to the game, using the premium currency platinum.

Requirements will be that you must have at least capped one character to maximum level before this option is available.”

I think for this to be of any use, it must cost more platinum than doing it the long way ie. Levelling). The figure of plat cost is known only by devs, so it should be researched before it is put in without thought.

One option can be free plat offers. The player must reach a certain level before they receive the free plat. This can encourage new players to continue to play the game after their offer is complete.
    This feature already exists in Arcane Legends: Pay 500 platinum to reach the highest level. This could potentially bring in a lot of revenue for players that are too lazy to level. However, it must be more expensive to level this way than it is to do it the conventional way. Perhaps the devs could work out the average plat spent from L1-105 and then produce a suitable pricetag based off of this?

Some things to keep in mind for the new cap from Walie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Walie
    1) Create more competition in the endgame items market to drive the price down. Example: Increase the drop rate of the obscenely expensive droppable items to better saturate the market and create more competition to sell (drives down the price). Important: Preferably do this slowly so everyone doesn't get rich beyond belief.

2) Make the event rewards be item farmable, not gold farmable. Note: Don't make the zone farmable items better than the existing endgame sets. Maybe have higher drop chance FOR the existing endgame items in these zones.
    That's my 2 cents
    Suggested by Ptsx, Sunflwershine and Wreckor: an option to turn off the elixir button near the joystick in case of accidental clicks.

Suggested by Quality and myself:
    Replace the bird skill meditation with one called ferocity and make it give +30dmg, 10crit at L6.
    L1 5dmg
    L2 10dmg 2crit
    L3 15dmg 4crit
    L4 20dmg 6crit
    L5 25dmg 8crit
    L6 30dmg 10crit

Too Long; Didn't Read

This is extremely summarised and brief. If any suggestions are going to be listened to then please ignore this entire section as it does not cover anything in nearly enough detail.

1. Lack of Ways for New Players to Obtain Wealth

Make quests give 1k gold per completion along with potions to help sustain a new players ability to play the game. Teach players how to farm in the tutorial

The gold inflation will increase over time - a gold sink is needed.

Advertise events better in ways mentioned inside the thread so that new players are able to play and earn gold at the same rate as everyone else.

Fix the autoleveller so that it distributes skills and stat points effectively by taking suggestions from inside the thread.

2. Little to no advertisement of the Game in the App Store and Playstore

By increasing the games App Store presence it will enable more people to find and enjoy these games which creates more revenue for your company.

3. Gambling.. Oops, I Mean Enchantments

Rolling for enchantments is literally gambling, something needs to change to make it fairer. Suggestions that have been made include locking slots or being able to roll one at a time, there is more detailed in the thread.

Though it has created a goldsink there still needs to be a more effective one as 1k rolls is little when you can earn 300k in one run.

Remove enchantments from PvP entirely and make them PvE only along with making 3pc rings either L76+ or have no use in PvP whatsoever.

Not all players have goldloot enchantments and this only furthers the gap between the rich and poor creating a very difficult economy to deal with as a new player. Suggestions to help fix this are detailed in the thread.

The Impact of Botting

Something needs to be done about botting... urgently. Solutions to help stop bots from entering gold farming maps are suggested inside the thread and in numerous places across the forums - they should be considered and implemented.

Lacklustre Tutorial

The tutorial fails to cover any of the new mechanics that have been implemented since the last tutorial revamp. This obviously needs to be fixed and a solution for it is detailed in the post.

Closing Remarks

What started off as a conversation in towne with a friend quickly turned into a full-blown project that I have spent many hours working on. I have lurked the forums for this game since early 2011, I have seen countless feedback threads and read almost every thread in both the PvP and general discussion. The threads I have seen that draw a response from the developers tend to be the ones that are inclusive of as much of the community as possible – I have tried my very best to include as many guilds and players as I could, whether that be through contact on discord, in game, or simply referring everyone to their excellent threads.

This project would not have been possible without the help, criticism, threads, and suggestions from all of the players denoted below:

Kixxler, Ruby, Commons, Sunflwrshine, Mage, Timelife, Ghost, Xyzther, Plqx, PLPR, IiRose, Jun, Dolloway, Bvdlight, Blitz, Quality, Mazzikein, Searicak, Fne, Vvinter, Guzan, Flacs, Allhail, Ptsx, Ellyidol, Mr Wallace, Eleanor, Apraxhen, Physiologic, Rot, Walie, Mendozza, Zapoke, Yobers, Opest, Purppaw, Royce, Shelby, WhoIsThis, Jen, Hook, Dudetus, Otukura, Hopeugotit, Communion, Wucker, Fleshdrill, The Happiness, The Sadness, Quackups, Lawrence, DivineMoustache (Fight), Pharcyde, Vvarlocks, Duke, Whirlzap, Griffinfan, Ptsx, Aaav, Endofmen, xvanitykingx, communion, Draebatad, DrCombo, Idesolate. Eversmiles, Glorifying, Cxxm, Xrax, Jocelynflores, Wreckor

The guild composition of this player-list is very diverse, going from top end PvE guilds through to prestigious low level PvP guilds, and everything in between. Here is the list of guilds of the various players I have spoken or referred to in creation of this guide:

<The Community Guild> <Revive> <Eclipse> <Lore> <Bounty> <Paradigm> <The Dream Team>
    <Fundamentals> <Unity> <Revelation> <Apex> <Amity> <Restoration> <Wutang Clan>
    <The Dissidents of Go> <Quantum> <Daisy> <Artplay> <Trade> <Infinitum> <A E O> <Copycat> <Reborn>
    Last edited by burntoutdex; 01-25-2019 at 01:02 AM.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to burntoutdex For This Useful Post: