Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Auto Mutes and Auto Bans for Offensive or Vulgar Chat.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matamurman View Post
    Ok I got muted for saying absolutely no swear words not even 1 that resembled a swear word. I think I needs some ajusting to where if u only say the real word and not something close, I understand there's kids playing this totaly awsome game, I have 3 kids of my own. But what r the chances of easing up on the muteing. I don't wanna get band for not swearing I've paid a nice chunk of rl money, not that's I mind its a great game and cheaper than everquest. Just don't want to be band for doing nothing wrong
    Please give us a clue as to what that word was so we can avoid it in game. Thanks!

Devs, it's okay to ask and post what that word might be, right?
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matamurman View Post
    Ok I got muted for saying absolutely no swear words not even 1 that resembled a swear word. I think I needs some ajusting to where if u only say the real word and not something close, I understand there's kids playing this totaly awsome game, I have 3 kids of my own. But what r the chances of easing up on the muteing. I don't wanna get band for not swearing I've paid a nice chunk of rl money, not that's I mind its a great game and cheaper than everquest. Just don't want to be band for doing nothing wrong
    If you want to know what word it was, you can contact support(at)spacetimestudios.com

I was muted several times for speaking Dutch. I contacted the devs, and they promptly removed the offending word from their automute list. They also told that if someone would get banned for clearly not even knowing he/she was using bad words, they'd immediately lift the ban. I guess we just need to inform them via mail as much as possible, so they can tweak their list further

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

3.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #83
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Het is zo cool dat zoveel mensen Pocket Legends spelen van over de hele wereld. Yay voor de Nederlandse spelers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Het is zo cool dat zoveel mensen Pocket Legends spelen van over de hele wereld. Yay voor de Nederlandse spelers!
    See Samhayne never got muted in game for a good reason!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Eeehh?? Hoe spreek jij zo perfect Nederlands?? O.o

U rok, thanks!

6.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #86
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Eeehh?? Hoe spreek jij zo perfect Nederlands?? O.o
    Google Translate is mijn goede vriend. Het brengt de wereld dichter bij elkaar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Google Translate is mijn goede vriend. Het brengt de wereld dichter bij elkaar.
    I never actually thought you could get such a perfect translation with it. Another lesson learned I guess

U rok, thanks!

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #88
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I never actually thought you could get such a perfect translation with it. Another lesson learned I guess
    The power of crowdsourcing when you have passionate people helping out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Junside View Post
    You can get muted/banned for saying flamer...
    big problem: FLAME Rabbit ears

and can you Email the auto-mute list (and auto-ban, if there is one) to my account Email? I might need restructure my quickchat. one of my quickchats got me muted. deleted it, but want a similar phrase. mught have heen a mistype, but I want the list just the same

man, I love this emote. can you get a similar one in-game? =>
    Last edited by azulflame; 05-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its kinda annoying cuz i was using a friend's ipod with spellcheck enabled and when i tried to say "wait a sec" i mistyped the last letter and spellcheck made it "wait a se(and a "x" here) " lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i feel a restriction talking in this game. the big part of the game is the social interaction environment. it feels like we are being policed by school teachers and the effect is that you have treated the players like children. I understand a 5 minute mute for dastardly offensive words. but some words like '****' isn't offensive. it is used in daily life. you don't call your own waste Dung! or manure? you call it ****.
    When you miss out on an opportunity, you say ****. you don't say "oopsy daisy". this is life. The word doesn't offend as much as f****.

if I can suggest, look at World of Warcraft. They have every bit of system you guys are trying to improve on and implement. it feels like you are trying to do things different, but really, if I may speak from an adult's point of view, this game ultimately has to please the majority, and also, no big secret, it has to be profitable to the company Spacetime.
    Is the driving force of the game not commercial? Are you not charging platinums for exclusive content? The kids do not pay for most of these. The adults do. And like someone else said in an earlier post, kids nowadays watch movies with lots of words f**k! and worse. I have friends aged 13 and younger, and they accept it as part of Hollywood. They don't get offended, and they certainly do not use it.
    A controlled environment breeds of disgust to me.

WoW - they use filters for speech deemed inappropriate. Players see ***** and they know they must have cursed. that has the same effect as letting someone know this guy said something bad and the only thing that made it different is that they don't have to visually see it. Intellectually, it provides the same effect.

Muted for raid leading:
    I led a PUG group who was struggling with Gurgox with the canned message of "Big Boom coming in 5 seconds", and was muted for spamming, for 5 long minutes - a silent bird - after a few times using it. I would think that anyone who was in any group had the choice to either leave, or report me if I was truly spamming. And the host of the game can boot me. If im the host, anyone can leave in disgust if they wanted to.
    For private games: sometimes friends play. why should a locked game be filtered? It is locked. protected from the outside world.

Surely, in summary, when you compare yourself to WoW in your pocket, that you do not re-invent the wheel? Look at the actual World of Warcraft universe, and the hours of board meetings they have conducted in order to create an immersive world for the biggest amount of players ever. As a commercial marketing researcher, I can certainly say with some strength, that WoW would have lost quite a reputation for what you guys have implemented at this moment.
    In closing, I am not ashamed to compare PL with WoW, just because you guys have used its namesake as a form of marketing and publicity in your ad campaigns. Since you have gotten past that hurdle, at least do some comparison with WoW for how they manage their player community experience.

The anger that you see for these 9 pages long of complaints stem from people who love the game(or the community) like myself, enough to even care to [write] as I have done. Surely you know by a rough guesstimate, that for every one person that write, a good 100 or more others stay silent and just ignore voicing it out.
    Look beneath the issue and you'd realise it's not about wanting to rebel, or swear. It's about fundamental freedom of speech, which no other human being should dictate against. Laws of a free world, of any recognised democracy, and of the United States of America.
    Last edited by Cloudiz; 05-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

It's implemented so that people don't go running off their mouths. People are unbelievably rude believe it or not. For example, I once asked a guy politely to stop spamming his junk gear sale as he was flooding the chat filter. I got a big ol f you for saying van you please stop spamming your sale, it's flooding the chat filter. See what I mean?

Thats besides the point. Keep in mind one of the major reasons is because this is predominately a children's game. Yes I understand, adults play this game (I'm 21), but still, we need to keep things in check. You wouldn't wanna hear 8 year old kids dropping f bombs around like crazy or worse yet, your own kids doing the same.

Keep it clean guys

-------AEO-------

13.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #93
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts

While we certainly appreciate everyone's feedback, the system is here to stay. It should be relatively clear that we don't want this type of language in our game. The filtering/muting/banning is not perfect, but as many of you have pointed out, neither are we.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I'm glad to say that I appreciate the system devs. Yes, it can be a hassle but if you can't speak without swearing I think this game is the least of your worries.

Thanks again for all your hard work

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    It's implemented so that people don't go running off their mouths. People are unbelievably rude believe it or not. For example, I once asked a guy politely to stop spamming his junk gear sale as he was flooding the chat filter. I got a big ol f you for saying van you please stop spamming your sale, it's flooding the chat filter. See what I mean?

Thats besides the point. Keep in mind one of the major reasons is because this is predominately a children's game. Yes I understand, adults play this game (I'm 21), but still, we need to keep things in check. You wouldn't wanna hear 8 year old kids dropping f bombs around like crazy or worse yet, your own kids doing the same.

Keep it clean guys
    I'm not going to harp on the issue. Along with the freedoms I mentioned, is the freedom of any developer to do as they wish.
    Do you realise the extent of the filter? It covers a range of colloquial speech as well... to the point some people cannot speak normally.
    That kid that blasted you... he has done so with you getting the full F-U message. Did he get past the filter? No. He simply went a roundabout way to bring the same message across to you.

Yes, it can be a hassle but if you can't speak without swearing I think this game is the least of your worries.
    It is not wanting to have the freedom to swear. Can the filter prevent it? No. Please explain how it can? If I want to be derogatory to you right this instant, I will make sure you will understand it, in another spelling or in any way that offends you -- filter or not.

The fact that the real people the filter would be curtailing, are the ones who do not mean much harm. Yet the same rude people continue to offend.

If someone said to you now, "*$&#$ you!!!" Do you need to know what the filter has blocked? No, in fact you won't bother even guessing. You already feel the emotion before you even care to guess what the word is. In fact you presume the worst, in your dictionary of terms.

What does the filter really achieve? Look at the 9 pages of rant. And all you achieve are the restriction of friendly people, who are not the culprits, which the system is really restricting.

This game is for children? I am not sure.
    But as ALS said, the system is here to stay.
    Perhaps I do not think deep enough, this issue that is beyond me.
    I am sitting on the fence for this one.
    Last edited by Cloudiz; 05-11-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

It is not the intention of the Devs to upset you with the filters. All they want is to make the game enjoyable for everyone to play. I personally did not enjoy seeing it every 2 seconds before the filter adjustments. I understand it may happen upon occasion as we are human and not a perfect society. Ultimately if you can't live without minding your language for a few hours a day then maybe this isn't the game for you. Would you go to church and spout out filthy language and tell the pastor thats how life talks so deal with it? Probably not. With all those parent watch groups monitoring games and apps like a hawk the best approach is to not stir up trouble. Seriously look how many times GTA has been in court. With this being a free game to play I doubt they have the cash to flash for a lawyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we all know that there is a very big difference between the vocabularies we use with different people. When going for a job interview we use a certain level of politeness and restriction in the things we say. Between friends at the bar having a beer, we use another vocabulary and it all depends on the relationship you have with the person/s you're talking to.

I can definitely hold my tongue and change vocabularies in public areas of the game but when I'm in a locked private game with a friend I know well or if I'm PMing a friend I don't want to be restricted in my use of vocabulary. The silliest words are muted and then your friend thinks you're being a prick, or you miss out on a deal because you can't communicated a single word for 5mins. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The system should be pretty simple, anyone on your friends list can be communicated with without muting, in PM. I'd be completely happy with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smeg
    Smeg is a vulgarism or expletive used throughout the series of Red Dwarf. Although no specific meaning is ever given, it and its derivatives are regularly used as a derogatory term. There has been some speculation that the name is related to the word smegma, however this has been denied by the writers.*Most entries on Urban Dictionary list this folk etymology.

While I agree that a comprehensive list of profanity for this system is valuable to you to expand your customer base, STS. I believe we can all agree that including vulgarities that are clearly a work of television is taking it too far. Tested smeg twice to be sure. Don't overstep your position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Kinda flawed...what happens when two words are combined ro make a mute. I HATE this it really bothers me especially when i type something long and important and its muted when theres no bad word intentionally said. People arent gonna swear in between words thats just a waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've added 4 mild and fictional vulgarities to the wiki so far. So not to worry, Folks! If STS continues to be obstinate and won't give us a master list then we can make our own for everyone to look at on the wiki page. Devs your puritanical attitude is laughable. Should we all go watch fox news, carry our bibles in a holster, and praise Jesus that you, STS, are a part of the moral minority who protects us all from ourselves? Get a clue.