Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skill page flipping: Please, it has to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Default Skill page flipping: Please, it has to go

Since there isn't a suggestion forum yet that I can see.....

It's just not good to not have access to all your skills at the same time. People can die, you can die, and problems can arise just because of the amount of time you spend tapping to switch pages. I'm used to having all my skills on my screen in PL, with the option to hide some. The SL implementation is just not very good and just wastes time that could be spent watching where your character is going and not into a wall or something. A lot can happen in 1 or 2 seconds.

I'm not on a Xperia, and it is not as handy on regular phones that don't have a hardware key to flip pages. I understand the Xperia forces you to flip pages due to limited buttons, but if the map toggle key is moved to where it is in PL it should work out fine if screen space is a concern.

Please can the interface be changed to show all the skill keys similar to PL? Doesn't have to exact, and I rather like the quarter circle layout, so maybe layer the second (And possibly third when it is needed) slightly above the first? The arrow would then hide all but the right most skills.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-11-2011 at 06:59 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Nah, they want you to pick a few skills and go with it, focus on 4 important ones for the first set, and then second page just make as a backup. They want more diverse characters per person and less clutter on screen. It might take a bit to get used to, but ive put two characters to 20 and did just fine, my commando only has about 10-20 deaths and thats without buying any stims..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Try being a Eng. Is one an Eng? I just got my fifth skill. I use all of them so far, and then need to flip. Maybe it is different for Com? Can we get more opinions please?

Really think it has to go, especially when people start having 12 skills.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Isn't it 8 skills per class only? Unless I'm mistaken.

IMO, it's part of the game. That's what makes it different from PL. You only find it slower in comparison to PL, but it shouldn't be fully compared apple to apple.

I also went from PL to a shift type skill bar, and at first I didn't like it at all, but got used to it. Will probably take time, but you'll probably get used to it

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I disagree with you completely. I think that limiting the number of skills you see at once to four and the total number of skills you have mapped to eight is a brilliant design decision. The devs are allowing (and encouraging, in my opinion) specialization. You get eight skills, all of which can be brought to level six, but right now there are only 20 points to spend. That means you can max three skills at the most. If you want to use all your skills then you need to be a bit more dextrous, but swapping hotkey pages isn't that big of a deal. You can change hotkey pages and select the next ability before GCD is finished.

If you don't like having more than five skills, just pick your four favorite and pump them up with skill points. You will probably be about as effective as someone who has all eight abilities but has them at lower level.
    All my posts are automatically +1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I love the way it is now. Less clutter on screen and its easy to flip the screen its not like on the other side of the screen its right above last skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being an Engineer it's a little different we're effectively hybrids. We have a support and DPS role we can fill, and often we do fill those roles at the same time, but in order to do so we are constantly swapping between bars. For my support bar I have 4 skills, and even then I have more I could use. I like the PL setup at least for my Engineer anyway, my operative doesn't seem to have the same issue tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Actually I have a lot of trouble activating the skill at the top of the arc vs. flipping pages. It could be my phone.. I don't know. I either do nothing, the phone thinks I've hit menu and I end up on my Avatar screen, or I flip skills page or I hit that skill. It's mostly the 1st two actions 1st though. A bit annoying. I try to put my least of my top 4 skills in that location since most times I can't get it work.

Hopefully, this will be different when I go back to my iPad.

Star light, star bright...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I like the idea of skill flipping. But one thing I dislike is how small the button is.

PLEASE increase the size of the button, so we don't sit there trying to flip the skills menu, and getting shot up with more ballistics than a national firing range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

i like the idea of specialization. what happens when we have too many skill points is another thing entirely.

however, i would like a bigger button for switching skill tabs. if i miss it, i get problems.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    I like the idea of skill flipping. But one thing I dislike is how small the button is.

PLEASE increase the size of the button, so we don't sit there trying to flip the skills menu, and getting shot up with more ballistics than a national firing range.
    OR maybe, you could go through some weird thumb decreasing surgery, so you could accommodate with it... That, or point and press with your index finger like some guy who looks like he's playing angry birds.
    Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

maybe a device shake tabs thru skills? options people
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Ppl just are not used to the page flipping yet.

Personally I'd like to see the "flip" button a little larger. I seem to miss hitting it a lot...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Wow seriously people don't like the idea so far and call it specializing? Surprising. I've seen most of you on PL or PL boards. Also seen some of you in SL. I'd think you'd like it like the original PL way. Well then don't be surprised if next time you need a heal the Engineer next to you dies while trying to heal the party because their thumb didn't hit the swap on time or missed it and the adds mobbed him/her. Of course that's a good time to run for a bit, I suppose.

On that note, I'd go for Phar's idea as a compromise. He usually has good ideas.

Art's idea is great too. I think PL had a shake to wave, but it's never worked for me. Shake to swap for non-PLAY devices is a great idea.

Or let's do both? I still strongly believe this still has to go when they start having more than 8 skills like PL does, though. Having to swap through three pages in order is just asking to get killed, at least for Engineer which has two roles.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Wow seriously people don't like the idea so far and call it specializing? Surprising. I've seen most of you on PL or PL boards. Also seen some of you in SL. I'd think you'd like it like the original PL way. Well then don't be surprised if next time you need a heal the Engineer next to you dies while trying to heal the party because their thumb didn't hit the swap on time or missed it and the adds mobbed him/her. Of course that's a good time to run for a bit, I suppose.

On that note, I'd go for Phar's idea as a compromise. He usually has good ideas.

Art's idea is great too. I think PL had a shake to wave, but it's never worked for me. Shake to swap for non-PLAY devices is a great idea.

Or let's do both? I still strongly believe this still has to go when they start having more than 8 skills like PL does, though.
    That sounds sweet, but about the swapping on time. Maybe you could set up your swaps. One for heal/rev, & other for attack spells. Alternate, in combat, attack spells & outside battle, heal/rev (party spells). Just a thought. Might help.
    Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

It works out of combat but not so much in combat. With the duration on heal and people getting hit too much sometimes and having to use it a lot while still yourself trying to not die and contributing to damage all at the same time can get hectic. Plus it's so easy to miss the swap. :/ I totally agree it needs to be bigger and/or allow shake to swap.

Why do so many people quote a post directly above them? It's my biggest forum pet peeve. It's completely unnecessary, and I tend to edit later or almost immediately so they often end up outdated.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

It works out of combat but not so much in combat. With the duration on heal and people getting hit too much sometimes and having to use it a lot while still yourself trying to not die and contributing to damage all at the same time can get hectic. Plus it's so easy to miss the swap. :/ I totally agree it needs to be bigger and/or allow shake to swap.

Why do so many people quote a post directly above them? It's my biggest forum pet peeve. It's completely unnecessary, and I tend to edit later or almost immediately so they often end up outdated.
    Courtesy, IMO.

Shows you are speaking directly to that person, answering his post, and to avoid confusion with anyone else.

Side-bar, how specialized are the skills? 4 heal/support 4 nuke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Hmm I see what you mean. I'm sorry, I haven't really thought it could be courtesy of talking directly to the person you want.

Pretty sure it's indeed four and four, or four attacks and 4 other non attack skills. So far I have one that is a direct DOT attack, one is basically Life Drain over time, a heal over time, Res, and just got what seems to be Mana Shield or at least a shield that absorbs X damage before expiring (Haven't tested this one yet, sorry). And so far I do not have a single damage AOE. Only level 8 though, since this is like my third day beta-ing. So yea, pretty sure there's a definitive split down the middle, or very close. SL "mages" are very over time based and wear Bird type armor, in the sense that essentially Op wears PL cloth, and Eng wears PL leather. Plays totally different from PL and takes getting used to.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-11-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Hmm I see what you mean. I'm sorry, I haven't really thought it could be courtesy of talking directly to the person you want.

Pretty sure it's indeed four and four, or four attacks and 4 other non attack skills. So far I have one that is a direct DOT attack, one is basically Life Drain over time, a heal over time, Res, and just got what seems to be Mana Shield or at least a shield that absorbs X damage before expiring (Haven't tested this one yet, sorry). And so far I do not have a single damage AOE. Only level 8 though, since this is like my third day beta-ing. So yea, pretty sure there's a definitive split down the middle, or very close. SL "mages" are very over time based and wear Bird type armor, in the sense that essentially Op wears PL cloth, and Eng wears PL leather. Plays totally different from PL and takes getting used to.
    No need to apologize, I get what you mean

I see, since 8 is that max number of skills, I wonder how level caps will change that. Max per skill is 6? Or more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I've been told 6 is highest rank like PL, yes. Some have said it is 5 like older PL. There are 12 skill slots on my list but only 8 can be mapped. This leads me to believe that there are currently 8 skills per class, but I dunno yet for sure since I've only learned five. Most likely place holders for later.

Just a guess and wishful thinking here, but they just might have to let you see all your skills once there's more than 8. The interface looks pretty polished as is, but it could just be unavoidable. Having to flip past a third page would be a bit much while all the other stuff is going on and boss fights can get annoying with battle hazards if PL is any example. Wonder how the PLAY users are doing with 3 skill keys per page?

Did I mention I level slow because of RL, socializing, and just generally not being in a hurry? Yea, sorry I'm slow.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.