Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Inappropriate chat, auto-muting, and auto-banning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When I get muted I log out and use an unregistered account, then use the /t function to tell them who I am, and that I got muted. An auto "muted" reply or mute pack would be still be handy though.

Oh and same here, whenever I need to say "give me a sec" it's because I'm in a rush so it always turns out the wrong way and gets me muted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Why is this a big discussion? It is simple to me, if you say something you know is wrong, Accident or not, you are going to get muted. If you mean to not cuss, and auto-correct makes you say something on accident, then turn auto-correct off under keyboard settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So is there any way we can have the list of "what not to say" posted here in big bright colors plz.................lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    Why is this a big discussion? It is simple to me, if you say something you know is wrong, Accident or not, you are going to get muted. If you mean to not cuss, and auto-correct makes you say something on accident, then turn auto-correct off under keyboard settings.
    Lol but what if there also accidently typed the word wrong x and c are pretty close and its not a post you cant edit it
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Then if they meant to say 'Wait a Sec(with fail text on sec)' or 'Give me just a few sec(with fail text on sec)' Then they can send an email to the developers at support(at)spacetimestudios.com replacing the (at) with @. And the devs can trace back to the text, and check if it was just a misunderstanding or on purpose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjackyo View Post
    So is there any way we can have the list of "what not to say" posted here in big bright colors plz.................lol
    I think you know what not to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

My suggestions: either make the announcement public, or to indicate to ur friends make some sort of signal that ur muted. Thats what i did. I use the sob emote time after time till my friend says oh ur muted, thrn i use the celebrate emote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stalinesque autobanning.... Good idea? Everything should have a human eye on it, computers simply cannot think for themselves enough to distinguish accidents from intention. On top of that, a 10 year old won't have a heart attack from hearing a "swear" word. Good god, I hate what society has done to us. What about adult friends (myself included) who use "bad" words in private speech frequently, but harmlessly, often in real world speech? Can we use open language in private tells?

I don't think teaching our children that bad words get you the harshest punishment possible on your first, possibly accidental offense is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

The exact point, Kids play Pocket Legends. What do you say around kids. In the event you had a child would you really like them start using a cuss word from a MMORPG? Then they wouldn't be aloud to Play PL anymore which is far from what we need. Computers are smart, smater then their creators. Auto-Banning is only used when words that should never be said are used. Use your imagination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

There should be a command to see all of blocked words so people can work around the system..xD
    Im jk, but seriousy..some words that we use in our every day lives are banned on pocket legends or a combination of words that go together and parts of the sentences are blocked out for a reason idk. Its getting people muted for a not good enough reason. I see nothing wrong with the auto-mute, auto-bann thing but its kind of unreasonable in some ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

is there any way that the auto correct can be canclled becuase on some words the auto turns it into a bad word i forget which words exactly but it is still a pain
    thefirehawk level 60 dex bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default what about a setting???

im not saying let peope say whatever but there are a lot of fu grown peope that pay this game and i dont think we should be banned if something slips i think there should be a setting like in world of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    We are working on the finishing touches of our new word filtering system to be released in a future content update.

For chat, tells, and boot messages:

1) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-ban list, their account and device will be permanently banned. Most of these words should not be said for any reason in any of Spacetime Studios' products and include hate speech terms, sex chat terms, etc.

2) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-mute list, and they will be muted for 5 minutes. Subsequent mutings will then be counted and can result in progressively longer game bans. For example, say <bad_word>, get muted. Say <bad_word> again, get muted again. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 1 day. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 3 days. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 7 days, etc. <bad_word> can be any word in our mute list.

We go through great lengths to make sure that Pocket Legends is a fun, safe place for players of all ages. This new system should help alleviate the current customer service load when dealing with in-game reports.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Cmon, really?

I'd just like to point out - go to any 6th grade elementary school class and half the kids there say raunchier things than i say to my wife behind closed doors, the other half have heard these words countless times on TV. What "innocence" are we trying to protect here?

That being said, I do understand the need for some kind of chat filter, but there are many words that arent bad when used in the proper context. When my son was born the doctor exclaimed to me 'Its sex is male!' Is 'sex' a naughty word used this way? No. His soul was damned for eternity - also used in books and movies read/seen by all ages (check the bible). Even words like *** have their uses (for hundreds of years, this was the proper way to describe a male donkey). Obviously this list could go on - the b word describing a female dog in heat, etc etc.
    Now, THAT being said, I agree that these words do in fact need to be filtered. The other night some guy wanted to buy my axe and when i told him no, he droppes the f bomb on me (abbreviating it as 'F U') and proceeded to tell me what a bad person i was (but in a not so kind way). This kind of thing is a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance (though it was fun kindly explaining to him how silly it was to blow up over such a stupid circumstance). This can really be taken to the extreme, ive played mmo's where players drop the n-bomb more than my racist confederate uncle in law. That kind of thing does need to be stopped, but instead of doing insta-mute or insta-ban, simply reject the whole message and inform the player xxxxx word is innapropriate, and warn them if the behavior continues a mute will be instated. This will clean up chat permanently, and also let people know where they are making mistakes without enacting fiery hand of god seal your lips vengeance upon players who simply screwed up. Also, private passworded games should NOt have any chat filter whatsoever. Id like to be able to speak like an adult with my adult friends. Sometimes after a nasty wipe 'dangit' just doesnt satisfy like the 'swear word' alternative (this is something i KNOW many people agree with).

I really hope this post came out in a coherent fashion, and makes an impact on the devs perception of how this should be implemented. To be honest i was trying to hold a conversation with someone *gasp* IRL while i was writing it, so i hope i didnt miss any points and/or offend anyone.
    o_O
    O_o
    o_O IGN: Gotrocks/Gotstorms/Gotguns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have a problem with this. i can say something that is not sexually related or is a "swear" word and it'll still put the *'s what happens if some one write something... (just for an example sometimes i'll write the word it's and it puts the *'s).. anyways what if someone writes something like that and it bans them for just using a simple word that has nothing bad about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am wondering,

sometimes I write a sentence that's perfectly clean, but some of the words are blocked out. Will this result in a mute, or ban?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wilddar View Post
    I am wondering,

sometimes I write a sentence that's perfectly clean, but some of the words are blocked out. Will this result in a mute, or ban?
    I think if it's an unintended word due to connection of two words, it just blocks it out.

When you say the word outright, I think thats when it mutes.

After a few mutes, then a ban.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, I've only been muted intentionally twice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Why are people asking for the list of words? I think you all should know what you should and shouldn't say. Lol..
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

gotrocks:
    gratz on your first post
    the best way to start out on the forums is rambling on about bad words
    rhinomagic[/B]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

absolutely =)
    Always a good way to pass the time on your day off
    o_O
    O_o
    o_O IGN: Gotrocks/Gotstorms/Gotguns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with all of you, you all have valid points. In my opinion why curse? There really is no point? Sure it makes you look more mature, or maybe it even makes you fit in, but I'm gonna tell you this cursing does not make you "the cool kid" and it certantly doesn't make you fit in. Sure you can disagree with me, or you can curse me out yourself. I am just stating a opinion. Think of it like this, do we want the future of pocket legends, to be great? Do we want the reputation of pocket legends to be known to many parents of children, to be "innapropiate", because in order to make this game enjoyable for everyone I guess is just follow the rules, and have fun!
    Last edited by Wilddar; 08-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.