Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Are people asking to boost their "Thanks" ratings to get a higher reputation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otukura View Post
    I don't really like to Thanks feature, tbh. The rep one was working perfectly.
    For instance, this statement. Just Thanked two times, but was it helpful. That is the point of the button. So someone needs to get up and write a short guide on when and when not to use Thanks or Thumbs Up. I mean, if we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature, people are going to do it because there isn't any harm done.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WoundedEagle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    For instance, this statement. Just Thanked two times, but was it helpful. That is the point of the button. So someone needs to get up and write a short guide on when and when not to use Thanks or Thumbs Up. I mean, if we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature, people are going to do it because there isn't any harm done.
    Non-flame/troll....since when do "we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature? I never will, nor will many others because we believe the whole help and thanks thing is overrated/artificial/kinda funny. Asking for thanks, to me in my opinion and again not trolling, is like liking your own Facebook status or asking people to like your FB status...sure you mighta had a good quality status update, but still (to me, anyway) kind of funny. Agreed on that there is absolutely no harm done, and it may even encourage an overall rise in helpful-type posts, but then you get into the whole quantity-vs-quality issue. And a "guide to help and thanks"? There is no right and wrong answer to how one should use it, other than people abusing it..which Sam has stated there is a background system to prevent that in the first place.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 09-29-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I'm with Moog on this guys. Does it really matter if wevare thanked/thumbs uped in a post? If I post something useful, those people usually thank me in pm or in game. A virtual thumb isn't gonna make me rethink how/when I post. Same goes for the reputation bar. Those who know me understand I aim to be as helpful and informative as anyone else. This is why I haven't reached 1,000 posts: I don't feel the need to add a comment if I feel the info has been given.

Thus, the whole "thank me" sig will never exist for me either.
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 09-29-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I don't think anything needs to be changed. The thanks system is there for a reason. If I appreciate a post, I thank the person who wrote it.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Navygreen For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Can I be honest for a moment and just say that the STS forum has always been seen as a popularity contest to me; having said that this system is used in plenty of forums but I'm not sure there is a place for it here. It's already been established that the gamer mentality usually has a competitive side to it, and there are many in game applications that this can be applied to such as the leader boards. So now there is just an out of game application where players are going to try to find a way to exploit the system that is in place. I can only imagine the measures that STS has put in place to prevent this but it's probably going to get out of hand in the end; it’s only a matter of time until there is a thanks boosting guild.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Me neither
    Proud member of COT

12. The Following User Says Thank You to apocketlegend For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I am utterly confused. As I browse around forums, the "Thanks" indicator is going up exponentially, almost at an unnatural rate, on people's avatars. Some of them aren't even making that many posts.

I had a theory. Maybe people are asking their guilds to thank their posts? Please tell me I'm wrong, because if this is what it boils down to, I am utterly shocked and horrified why anybody would want to put such a visage on. Wouldn't this totally distort the meaning of a forum reputation system? I am not going to call anybody out in particular, but those of you that are guilty know who you are. IMO, it is utterly disgusting. It's like doing a good deed for the sake of a reward, not out of kindness? What is the point?

Opinions, Insight, Advice? Post here!
    I don't boost guild people's rep but I do my fellow chatboxxers. I have 4 or 5 friends in chatbox that when I see them post I will go and "thank" it regardless of what it is they say. We haven't organized or planned it out it's just worked out that way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Ok, let me put it this way. There's a lot of new members here and in the game. People join everyday. A lot of them may not say much at first but are just looking around and reading information. That's the whole point of a forum is to share and receive information from different people. What makes a forum a good and helpful one? Good and helpful information. What are some ways we can ensure that this good and helpful information continues so that our new and old members can benefit from it?

Why not introduce a thanking system? Similar to the rep system, but its more visible to the members. I think this gives people an incentive to help others out and possibly receive positive rep for helping. I think it makes perfect sense.

Not to mention, it may even cut down on some people posting "Thank you" when really, all they have to do now is click that Thanks button. Saving thread space.
    Last edited by Navygreen; 09-29-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    PL - Navygreen

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Navygreen For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I have to believe that most people that regularly read the forums learn pretty quickly which posters typically are helpful and provide useful information -- regardless of what the little green bar says.

Maybe I should change my sig to say "No thanks neccessary".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doubletime For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Sorry for the double post but I'm reading so many negative comments about this. How do we know anybody was even thinking about asking people for thanks until someone (not naming any specific names) gave them the idea to do it? How do we know that making a thread about it isn't causing more of a problem than the actual system itself? Just saying.

I try to look at every scenario equally.
    PL - Navygreen

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navygreen For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

But who in fact cares so much about reputation on forums. Least i won't care as long as it is showin positive value. And also i never would want to have high reputation BECAUSE of others, just for myself to feel somehow succesful. :]
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkfader For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfader View Post
    But who in fact cares so much about reputation on forums. Least i won't care as long as it is showin positive value. And also i never would want to have high reputation BECAUSE of others, just for myself to feel somehow succesful. :]
    Probably the same players who xp locked a level 12 toon and boosted onto the leader boards, or the same players who create two accounts and use two devices to boost their kills in pvp... It's what makes them feel successful. Bottom line: It'll get abused in the end.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Probably the same players who xp locked a level 12 toon and boosted onto the leader boards, or the same players who create two accounts and use two devices to boost their kills in pvp... It's what makes them feel successful. Bottom line: It'll get abused in the end.
    Can anyone make them feel succesful by thanking themselves for good job? hmm..
    And yeah, ofc it gets abused, it already does.
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkfader For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Honestly, I don't see what the whole fuss is. But that might be, because I see neither rep nor thanks in the tapatalk app. It's a happy place from where I sit

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Honestly, I don't see what the whole fuss is. But that might be, because I see neither rep nor thanks in the tapatalk app. It's a happy place from where I sit
    Lol, I might have to try that.
    PL - Navygreen

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navygreen For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    I don't boost guild people's rep but I do my fellow chatboxxers. I have 4 or 5 friends in chatbox that when I see them post I will go and "thank" it regardless of what it is they say. We haven't organized or planned it out it's just worked out that way.
    This is an example of abuse/missuse. You thank "only" those who are chatbox regulars and "not" those associated with a guild? IMHO, this does not make sense. If one of your chatbox friends replies to a post with "lmao" or "what is a demonicset?", why thank it? Defeats the purpose. With this logic, I would thank everyone in this thread and that's not needed.

Here is one of your answers, Parth?
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    This is an example of abuse/missuse. You thank "only" those who are chatbox regulars and "not" those associated with a guild? IMHO, this does not make sense. If one of your chatbox friends replies to a post with "lmao" or "what is a demonicset?", why thank it? Defeats the purpose. With this logic, I would thank everyone in this thread and that's not needed.

Here is one of your answers, Parth?
    Well, they have to have given somewhat useful info. I wouldn't thank them for "lmao" or "what is a demonic set". I'm just more likely to "thank" or "give them rep" to one of my friends rather than a someone I don't know.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    I'm just more likely to "thank" or "give them rep" to one of my friends rather than a someone I don't know.
    Thank you, yet another proud supporter of my popularity contest idea.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

There y'all got a "thanks"

38. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

While I appreciate the "thanks", i'm only responding to this because I think it's a little silly to be upset about something like this. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're helpful and you get no thanks, it's appreciated just the same as someone with 1000 green bars under their name. It's just silly to me.

But, thanks I guess...
    PL - Navygreen

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navygreen For This Useful Post: