Thread: A Gold Sink

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    A few of the issues you have listed can be fixed by simply flooding more Low level pinks into the game.. IMO this will affect 2 things:
    1) prices for low level pinks will drop and allow a level 10 to actually afford level 10 gear.
    2) money invested by all the high levels will be lost on the twink gear they have bought.

No this isn't exactly a gold sink for high levels but I think everyone needs to remember in any economy there will be the rich and then there will be the poor. It only makes sense that the longer you play the more money you should have. what I really think needs to happen in this game is the fix of the amount of drops as the game progresses. if you think about it as the game gets older so do the players. The rarity of the drops at the higher and newly released levels should remain the same but as the game goes on I really feel lower level pinks should become more common to prevent the type of inflation that we have seen from occurring and making the gear basically unobtainable to lower levels that actually need it which is what we are seeing now.

Either way that's my 2play...lol
    Flooding the markets would defeat the purpose of a pink, making it non legendary. Something no one liked at level 45. I'm not sure if this is an anyway influenced by your wealth, but I think that it would be a plus for merchants. You, say, 100m might be worth 3 times the value now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpser View Post
    perhaps the devs could add a sorta lucky dip e.g you put in 10k and get a random chance for good loot (scaled to your level) so you will get a pink sometimes good sometimes bad just random i reckon this would be awesome just make getting a good one really rare cause i can see rich people abusing this so much!
    An idea! I like the random part of it; even something like a 10k mystery elixir, that would be a random plat elixir. Plain 2x damage/armor/xp for 5 minutes would be common, maybe a combo elixir would be more rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixillicus View Post
    Here is a gold sink...
    20 Plat = 500k, you can buy it once a week. Atleast the players who wouldnt prefer to pay real money for the game would be able to sink some money for something that will get burned up.
    That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying... did you mean that in reverse? (edit: saw Glutt's post, guess we both thought that)

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonnel View Post
    Houses. Purchase with plat. Weekly gold rental fee. Upgrades for gold, etc.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate
    Another idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Perhaps I don't understand what a gold sink is, but crafting is based on drops and the gold isn't exactly lost but traded. Elixirs used to be a true gold since they were consumable items, the gold you put into them was lost after 5 minutes of play time. Even though recipies are consumable, the gold isn't lost since they are drops and if they're bought from cs then the gold you spent to get it may be lost to you, but another player has it so it's not actually sunk into anything.

As for the other suggestions, they are already implemented into the game in a form of plat sink. Corpser's random loot chance is basically the idea behind platinum item packs. So as Drewcapu stated once the best idea for a gold sink has been identified, even if STS implements it into the game it is only a matter of time before someone from the marketing division realizes the potential to make actual money from the idea and it become a plat purchase only. I think Ixillicus' idea was ok in reverse (but has been suggested numerous times) to allow players to turn gold into plat, but more realistically 500k = 1 plat so a capped player can only get 20 plat per week (maybe change that to month), but again this could cause STS to see a decrease in revenue even if only a bit so it doesn't stand much of a chance to become a reality.

There are a couple of gold sinks in place but the amount of gold is so low that they are not effective: cs listing price, guild charter purchase. What about some new form of quests; you would have to pay a premium to accept them and the end product is a desirable prize, maybe use the hard to acquire crafting pieces or even some of the non set pinks from Nuri's campaign. Maybe even a completely brand new set, much like how cyber set was. Talk to Nuri and she will offer you a quest, kill 1000 zombies in Haunted Symphony and get a para scrap/glyph blade steel and since the item is a quest reward it won't be tradable or sellable. Quests would cost 25k to start for crafting parts (maybe 100k for blade steel), and 250k to start for actual gear. This idea basically makes it so you're buying these items along with a bit of work and the finished product you cannot sell or try to recoup your losses via cs, so once the gold is spent it's gone.
    Love the post, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by vaffunculo View Post
    While this is true, eventually it will catch up with them and bankrupt them. I know a few players that lost millions doing that at nuri launch time.
    Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    Guilds!!!!!

Let us custumize our guild hall for cash! Things to add could cost 20k-5mil. This is the perfect gold sink.
    Was thinking of this after seeing Yvonnel's post, +1.

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu View Post
    This is the simplest one to implement.

Listing fees that scale upwards a bit more for high priced items.
    Was thinking of that too, a while ago. I'd actually like a smaller fixed price and a higher percentage. Listing stuff for under 2k doesn't pay off too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    KOL had a big problem with this. They made a bunch of silly things that cost a fair amount of gold and siphoned it out of the economy. Stuff like the ability to "send" another player a birthday card or cake or a Valentine's Greeting or a balloon bouquet, things like that. One of the most popular items was the Wall of Graffiti--you purchased your can of spray paint for gold and painted whatever slogan struck your fancy (keeping it semi-clean at least). Stuff stayed on the wall for 3 days, I think, before it faded out. If you wanted it back up, you bought more paint.

And David's idea really isn't that silly--make some vanities purchasable only with gold. It doesn't have to be the same as the plat versions--gold antenna, anyone?

ETA: Hey, there's an idea. Make a wall (or four or five) in Balefort "Memorial Walls". You buy a brick with your char's name on it for gold and it goes into the wall, on display for future generations of gamers to wonder what the heck an Otukura/Apollo/Mysticaldream/Rauen is.
    Hehe, also love the post, as always. I'd buy a brick for each of my characters. Only thing I don't like is that it's a one time thing, not something you'd be buying a lot of.
    Last edited by Otukura; 10-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.