Thread: Simple attempt at making a skill tree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Simple attempt at making a skill tree.

Hello everyone! I recently stumbled upon a site that allows you to semi-create a skill tree. It's very WoW oriented, but it gets the job done. I managed to make a quick one, just to show what type of skill tree system I had in mind for PL, and something that I could see very much work here.

A few notes on the limitations of this site:

1. Since it's very WoW oriented, I couldn't change the skill tree name. Don't mind the skill tree name.

2. It's a very tier based skill tree, that is, you need 5 points in each tier before the next one opens up. Again, ignore this. Just hover your mouse over the skill icon to see what it does.

3. This is very simply done. It took me about 10 minutes to make, so don't go off about balance, impacts on the game, other classes, etc. This is just a very broad and general idea.

Personally, I would love skill trees that define a character. Since the skill point issues (too many skill points, too little skills, everyone growing to the same skill build) are surfacing faster, IMO, thought needs to be put into the skill system, the earlier the better.

I'll be talking more about what I had in mind on my blog (link in sig). This is just a brief intro into what I found, and what greatly interested me when thinking about it's possible implementation into PL.

Again, take what I made lightly and with an open mind. This was not meant to be enforced, but to merely get the ball rolling (if it hasn't).

http://www.war-tools.com/t73622.html

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Wow, this looks awesome Definitely need something like this now that nearly all skills are maxed

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Confusing but systematic and helpful.
    Tell me Elly, why exactly are Skill Trees going to be needed?
    Soon, we will be able to max most helpful skills, atleast for mages, unless they add a new skill level or a new skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    Wow, this looks awesome Definitely need something like this now that nearly all skills are maxed
    Thanks! It's actually quite easy to make. My familiarity with the system helped, but using it for the first time shouldn't be that hard.

It'd be nice to see the different suggested and constructed builds that people make for the different classes. Hmm, contest idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Confusing but systematic and helpful.
    Tell me Elly, why exactly are Skill Trees going to be needed?
    Soon, we will be able to max most helpful skills, atleast for mages, unless they add a new skill level or a new skill.
    I wouldn't say that it's entirely needed, I just think its a really good idea. In a lot of the MMO's I've come across, allowing skill builds also allowed more customized and semi-unique builds - depending on how the skill trees are built.

That's a possible problem I foresee too, when level caps just narrow down the possible skill builds and everyone ends up having the same skills. Extending the cap to 7 is a solution, but not the best nor most satisfying, IMO.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 11-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I would love this so much. This would actually allow players to have hybrid roles in PL rather than having to just spend attribute points for different weapon proficiencies to play there specific role. Similar to Wow Paladin who could be a hybrid like a shockadin.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoarPewPew View Post
    I would love this so much. This would actually allow players to have hybrid roles in PL rather than having to just spend attribute points for different weapon proficiencies to play there specific role. Similar to Wow Paladin who could be a hybrid like a shockadin.
    With diversity in mind, and if such a skill tree was implemented, it may even be nice to have a full skill tree with no mutually exclusive skills. For example in my proposed tree, it's very offensively or defensively built. If you could fully combine both, that'd make a really unique build for anyone to experiment on. All hypothetical though, if something like this is being considered

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Excellent idea Elly. This would allow an extreme amount of diversity.

Just a FYI.....

Skill trees get implemented, don't scream at Yvonnel for a heal or revive......

NUKEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior