Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ending the Mynas Generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be your assistant Im gonna be a lawyer so I can debate
    ~why DO you use thongs?~
    ANSWER please

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...4-My-pink-list!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What if we made it so that if you DONT have a level 45 character then you have to play the campaigns that are lower than your level, at your level, an one campaign above your level. This way if a 45 wants to level a new character then he can power level at ao2-3, and new players who just started will have to play the campaigns their level!

I personally think this is the way to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I thought of this too, but it wouldn't change all the xp-misdemeanor 45's out there now. They outnumber us, I think. They'd have freedom to create more incapable annoying mewling 45's

So there'd be more of:
    iplaygood lvl 45
    Kills 21 deaths 0. ***name is made-up. Stats, unfortunately, are not.

Hmmmm. Know what we need? how about two very very very difficult quests that we have to complete to EARN the ability to power level?
    Quest 1- done as a team and is impossible without great teamwork
    Quest 2- done alone and requires strategy

The quests could be the gatekeeper.
    What do you think?
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furrawn View Post
    I thought of this too, but it wouldn't change all the xp-misdemeanor 45's out there now. They outnumber us, I think. They'd have freedom to create more incapable annoying mewling 45's

So there'd be more of:
    iplaygood lvl 45
    Kills 21 deaths 0. ***name is made-up. Stats, unfortunately, are not.

Hmmmm. Know what we need? how about two very very very difficult quests that we have to complete to EARN the ability to power level?
    Quest 1- done as a team and is impossible without great teamwork
    Quest 2- done alone and requires strategy

The quests could be the gatekeeper.
    What do you think?
    Earn the right to power level? It's not like power leveling is a feature. It's a player created strategy that allows easy exp gain. You can't "earn" that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it's too late to fix the existing ones. Maybe just hope they get bored and leave the game. But what about all the hundreds and hundreds of new players who will join in the future? If you could force their first character to go through each campaign, surely that would be useful?

And isn't it strange that the game let's you purchase AO campaigns when you haven't purchased earlier ones? I mean, why would any legitimate player ever need to do that? Surely it should be forced to buy them all consecutively? ...

Interesting thread BTW. Just my 2c from a level 22 newbie. Like Gazz I am enjoying each campaign, have purchased them all but the highest level I've entered is one of those Ice stages. I don't want to skip content I've paid for just to rush to 45! Also I often go back to earlier levels and run through with the level 12's or whatever. They think I'm a beast, LOL! ... Bless their little hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Banned- how is earning it through a quest any different than earning it through one char having to go through all the campaigns? You must not have read the entire thread where we were discussing making power leveling impossible unless earning it first by going through all campaigns w first char. Still, my quest idea was not a good one. The best is making them play through the campaigns w first char.

Dharken- you are absolutely right. My judgement was clouded by how many times I see things happening lately because of the glut of mynas generation players. You're right the future players matter the most when thinking about possible solutions. Based on that, we'd go with making the first char level to 45 properly and hope the already existing mynas generation becomes the minority- because right now it feels like they are the majority.

Can we make the folks (whoever they are) who power leveled newbies for money through mynas with no guidance have to friend & play with every monster they created til they are decent players? Lol lol lol

*** I don't see anything wrong with power leveling but not newbies. Greed should never matter more than the game and community. I met a lvl 45 a few days ago who didn't know how to buy a potion.
    Last edited by Furrawn; 08-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling. ~ Thoreau
    FURRAWN 45 Paladin ButterflyPoet 45 pure dex ScarlettOHara 45 Intbear Jeannedarc 22 Mage Trickortreat lvl 22 100% pure organic chicken Christmastree 13 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I really learned from swamps too. but I'd like to propose a limit. your level must not be more than 7 lower than the highest character at time of joining, etc
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wtb attunement plz!
    i saw her once, and swore i was in love...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

How to solve this problem right now in 2 steps (though it will never happen):
    1. Add some harder mobs and a couple of Djinn to the hallways in the Tombs of Mynas
    2. Revoke all XP that has ever been gained on that map
    Problem Solved

Anyway, I also agree that it makes sense to require a player to unlock each campaign by beating the one before it, but I'm not sure the devs will go for that either (after all they must have had reasons for not setting it up like that in the first place).
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Banned- how is earning it through a quest any different than earning it through one char having to go through all the campaigns? You must not have read the entire thread where we were discussing making power leveling impossible unless earning it first by going through all campaigns w first char. Still, my quest idea was not a good one. The best is making them play through the campaigns w first char.
    I know, but you're using the term "earn" incorrectly. The ability to mindlessly farm exp from a certain level isn't something you can earn. You can earn gold, gear, unlockable levels, exp, quests, etc. But you can't actually earn power leveling.

It's not something that was put into the game, it's something that players are exploiting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok cool I like it
    Staffed 46 Littlepvp 30 Staved 19. Laconic level 30
    stazed level 30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickdigcookies View Post
    Wtb attunement plz!
    lolz.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    I know, but you're using the term "earn" incorrectly. The ability to mindlessly farm exp from a certain level isn't something you can earn. You can earn gold, gear, unlockable levels, exp, quests, etc. But you can't actually earn power leveling.

It's not something that was put into the game, it's something that players are exploiting.

Lol lol you aren't understanding me. Sorry if I wasn't clear

I KNOW it's something that's not a game feature- it's something players learned and exploit. HOWEVER, we are discussing making the exploitation impossible without first taking a char through all the campaigns thus unlocking or "earning" the ability to jump straight to the AO2 lvl 3 with their subsequent characters. Hence, what is now a learned exploit will be an earned reward. You might choose not to use "earn" but in the context I used it in, it was not incorrect.

"earn"- to gain in return for one's behavior or achievements
    [one of the definitions in the oxford dictionary]

In the context of making the game locked so new players can NO longer power level in Mynas unless they first have a level 45 char that has gone through the campaigns appropriately, "earn" is completely correct.
    Last edited by Furrawn; 08-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jstizar View Post
    As swell as that would be. They made it so a player had to play through every campaign just a few weeks ago and that went swimmingly....Not. Lol
    Really? What were the complaints about it? Or a link to a thread please? I'm interested is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

The locking of previously unlocked content was definitely met with howls. It could be a while beforenthey do that again, if ever.

I had another idea on this, and I suggested it over in the suggestion form. Instead of DIScouraging the one behavior, let's ENcourage the other. For that my suggestion was to display quest accomplishments more prominently. But there could be other ways. The idea of a Leaderboard was being discussed in the PvP forum. This is a form of positive reinforcement.

But I don't think they'll be locking content again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The point is for NEW players to have to play their first character through. The howls of which you speak were because those of us who had owned & played the campaigns for months found them locked.

The devs are losing a tremendous amount of money because of the campaigns being skipped and not bought by the new accounts. I'm sure they will at least consider it...
    It would just go into effect for new people coming into PL.

Or just make it so levels too low cannot join higher campaigns.

Snake~
    I'm afraid that your suggestions, while great, won't appeal much to many of the mynas generation. They are running around with 400 kills for a lvl 45. I don't think they care about stats & leaderboards. If they did, there would probably be no problem to begin with... I agree that positive reinforcement is good...

I fail to see, however, why you think new players having to play through the campaigns the first time is negative reinforcement... ALL of us oldies played through and it was wonderful...

Of course, all this is hypothetical anyway... But brainstorming always rocks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chickdigcookies View Post
    oh noes...

Mynas Generation is the people who powerlevel the characters in AO2-3, Mynas Tombs(?). Nothing to do with gear.
    Ah ok! I get you.

Surely some higher levels are part of the problem too, you can't just rock up to AO2-3 as a level 1 and end up level 45. Someone has to be helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    No, this refers to people who play differently from you. They run around behind higher level players and "leech" their XP. They are called the Mynas Generation because of the location where they do their most leeching.
    Yeh, I had a quick run though AO1 with some higher levels when I was around level 10, its not much fun though not being able to kill anything. Plus, its fun to do the quests! (apart from the 256 tomes - thats doing me in - getting there slowly though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Seriously, I learned a LOT in Swamps. The biggest things I learned were:
    1. Create a sequence of debuffing them and buffing yourself, then hit them with your biggest combo. It wasn't really necessary to debuff the opposition until Swamps and so I underestimated the value of those skills. Now I use them all the time.
    2. Don't let yourself get pulled!!! If you're an archer and the bear stomps and the mage does a fireball, and you're on auto-attack, you get pulled into their kill box where they swarm and kill you. The only way to survive is to learn to wait for them to come back. They always come back. But I would not have learned THIS in Skeller.
    3. Know your enemy. Some go down easily, some heal others, some are really tough. Take out the healers first, then the mages who don't heal, etc.

These are the more sophisticated strategies that seem to be missing from people who skip the Swamps.
    Thing is though, understanding how to play MMO's isn't limited to this game. I've played them for years and understand that different mobs do different things and require kiting or a different strategy, pulling mobs off a boss etc

Either way, short of restricting the campaigns by level, theres not much you can do. Higher levels 'powerlevelling' lower levels happens in every MMO. You won't get rid of it. All you have to remember is, being powerlevelled to 45 does not equal 45 levels of game skill. Their game play style will reflect that, either boot them or leave the instance.
    Iela // Staffs and Spells // 45
    Columbaguinea // Blasters and Bows // 45
    Tankteddy // Swords and Shields // 32

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jstizar View Post
    As swell as that would be. They made it so a player had to play through every campaign just a few weeks ago and that went swimmingly....Not. Lol
    First of all, that was a completely different thing. they made it so that you had to beat map 2 for instance in a given campaign to access map 3. That is actually how the campaigns all work now when they come out. But it is completely different to say someone must beat campaign number 2 to access campaign number 3. Also, that was only an issue because for one thing people who had already beaten those maps had to beat them again, and also to a degree because of petty whiners like you :P
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaZz View Post
    Ah ok! I get you.

Surely some higher levels are part of the problem too, you can't just rock up to AO2-3 as a level 1 and end up level 45. Someone has to be helping them.

Yeh, I had a quick run though AO1 with some higher levels when I was around level 10, its not much fun though not being able to kill anything. Plus, its fun to do the quests! (apart from the 256 tomes - thats doing me in - getting there slowly though!)

Thing is though, understanding how to play MMO's isn't limited to this game. I've played them for years and understand that different mobs do different things and require kiting or a different strategy, pulling mobs off a boss etc

Either way, short of restricting the campaigns by level, theres not much you can do. Higher levels 'powerlevelling' lower levels happens in every MMO. You won't get rid of it. All you have to remember is, being powerlevelled to 45 does not equal 45 levels of game skill. Their game play style will reflect that, either boot them or leave the instance.
    Sure higher level players were there in the beginning to get the ball rolling, but now it's a self-perpetuating mess since the Mynas kids can now level more Mynas kids. Also, that map is so ridiculous, a level 30 could power level people on it. Finally, there is a big difference between powerleveling as it used to exist before the Mynas phenomenon, and now. No one expects, and most people don't want, to get rid of powerleveling in an appropriate way. However, the Mynas generation is ruining the experience of playing at the level cap, and we need to cut it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crikey. There's more than I thought. Just logged in and entered Forest Haven. Clicked on the closest 5 people to me. Bearning in mind I am level 30. With 2470 kills and 108 deaths.
    Me.

Them.

Iela // Staffs and Spells // 45
    Columbaguinea // Blasters and Bows // 45
    Tankteddy // Swords and Shields // 32