I agree, the Cyber, Mystery and Black Ice quests are a good way to approach this. The only problem I have is that these items do not have elite stats. These items (Black Ice in particular) have stats that are just barely better than junk pinks, so at least for the Cyber and Mystery items, the only saving grace is the set bonus (which is paltry). The Black Ice items are junk, and something that I only sometimes use for my lower level twinks.

Perhaps there should be a quest that requires 25, 50 or 100 vlod kills - truly a grind! Maybe you can start with a base pink after 25 kills, enhance it after 50 and by 100 kills it becomes an honest-to-god elite item. Do the same for the other Fang bosses to complete a set where the set bonus scales based on whether your set consists of the base pinks, enhanced pinks or epic pinks. Unlike the Cyber and Mystery items, these should be allowed to be sold. So the base pink item may command 200K but the epic item would be well over 1M because it is such a grind and the stats would be so much better than any of the other pinks at that level!

The value that I see here is that these are the quest types that are a grind, so most will skip over them. Others, when they have hit the level cap, may come back and revisit the quests, and the elites will farm the heck out of them. It at least gives you a goal that you can chase when you hit level cap. Another important point is to give each set a unique appearance and aura as you enhance them - you know the sparkles/mist that is emanated when you have a set that grants a set-bonus.

In my mind, the most important thing is to grant the ability to create/craft/enhance/(whatever) a super-set. None of the current quest based sets are that good, even for their level. At this point, the two best sets in game are the Demonic and Crated. Because the drop rates in Nuri's is so low, the Demonic seems to be the elite set. While not quite at the same level as the Crafted, the Demonic is a terrific set, because for its level the Demonic is clearly superior and is even comparable to a set 5/6 levels higher. A new super-set should be so challenging to attain that it grants stats that are a little bit better/moderately better/substantially better than anything else for that level.

I know it may be sacrilegious to even think, let alone post, but I think that these items should not be attainable with Thrasher or other Elixirs. The COP is, in my humble opinion, one of the most epic items in game because it could only have been received through grinding - no 4X Thrasher runs, just a good group that would get together and grind through 100K kills. You know that when you find someone with the COP, they know how to play, and how to work as a group. This item was not granted because they kept throwing platinum at the game, but they learned the mechanics of the game and how to effectively work in a group to clear maps - making it, and the player wearing it truly Legendary.