Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Bible verse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If u dnt believe in a spiritual presence how u think we got here how we hav the minds that that are able to think and process the way they do the atmosphere how would some big bang know we need it to breath all these other things hmmmm?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to geray776 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Favorite Bible verse?

That was meant for morfic

4. The Following User Says Thank You to geray776 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Because of all the glittering star dust everywhere. In fact it's all due to poor house keeping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Geray.. your argument is invalid and out of place in this topic. I never said I believe in the "Big Bang" theory. I do, however, believe that there is a scientific answer for everything. We do not have the answers to everything, and it is impossible to know many mysteries of our universe (as of yet). My stance is just that I do not believe in god. There may be a higher power out there, but there is nothing to prove its existence, and until then I cannot lie to myself and believe in random fairy tales.

I don't know how the universe came to be, but I do know that if it WAS due to the "Big Bang Theory", that is a thousand times more believable than some superhuman celestial being snapping his fingers and poofing us all into existence.

And it is not the "Big Bang" that "Knew" we needed "Atmosphere to breath". Organisms blossomed and flourished out of the correct mixture of life-giving elements found on our planet. I don't have all the answers, so I have no clue why you are asking me. But you asking me those things, is exactly the thing an ignorant Christian would do, to try and "prove" their point. Basing your beliefs in God, on questions we have not answered with science yet, is just reinforcing how mentally weak us as humans are. If we feel like our life is pointless or meaningless because we can't explain/don't know certain things, we are very quick to accept and believe any farfetched tale that answers those questions.

These questions you have asked me... WILL be answered via science. Maybe sooner... maybe way later and after our lifetime, but they will be answered. Then, at some point in the future, people will look back at these ideas with the same amused smirks as we have for people who used to think that the Earth was flat. Or how we chuckle at the people who used to think that stars were their ancestors looking down on them from the heavens.

@Micah: Sorry for the derail, I just can't stand when people ask me those questions as if it proves anything at all.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@morfic he asked for it. No problem. Although for the record, I don't believe what you said at all. Science always fails to answer why. It can answer how, but it will never answer why.

The funny thing about science is that it can ultimately never "prove" anything at all. Just the other month a "scientific law" was broken. The law which stated that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 07-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Incorrect Micah. They thought they disproved that scientific law. It turns out, their calculations were wrong and in fact, nothing can travel faster than light still. Not to say it won't be broken one day.

And you have to understand, that at this current time, nothing that we know exists, and nothing made out of the current elements we know about, can travel faster than light. If a new particle is found, or a new discovery is found that doesn't obey physics like everything else in the world, then that is not the fault of science. That is yet another scientific discovery broadening our knowledge.

I also don't understand your first thought. Science answers both how and why (when it can). Why is the sky blue? Science can answer that. Why do fish have gills? Science can answer that. Why do thousands of jellyfish swarm japan, science can answer that. It also answers how. Of course those are general "Why"s, and I am assuming you are referring to the question of, "Why did the planets get formed in the first place", or "Why are we alive", or "why does everything exist". Those answers, of course, cannot be answered by science. Thats like the question, "what is the meaning of life?". There is no answer to that, and there is NO way it can be answered, unless there is a supreme being that created us for a certain reason. Other than that, we are just here because we got lucky, and there is no true meaning to life, and no true "reason" everything exists.

People hate to hear that though, and since it is not possible to answer why we exist with science, people flock to fabulous tales that comfort them. "Ahhhh, I have a purpose after all.", etc.

http://www.nature.com/news/neutrinos...-light-1.10249

Let's make it SPARKLE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    Incorrect Micah. They thought they disproved that scientific law. It turns out, their calculations were wrong and in fact, nothing can travel faster than light still. Not to say it won't be broken one day.

And you have to understand, that at this current time, nothing that we know exists, and nothing made out of the current elements we know about, can travel faster than light. If a new particle is found, or a new discovery is found that doesn't obey physics like everything else in the world, then that is not the fault of science. That is yet another scientific discovery broadening our knowledge.

I also don't understand your first thought. Science answers both how and why (when it can). Why is the sky blue? Science can answer that. Why do fish have gills? Science can answer that. Why do thousands of jellyfish swarm japan, science can answer that. It also answers how. Of course those are general "Why"s, and I am assuming you are referring to the question of, "Why did the planets get formed in the first place", or "Why are we alive", or "why does everything exist". Those answers, of course, cannot be answered by science. Thats like the question, "what is the meaning of life?". There is no answer to that, and there is NO way it can be answered, unless there is a supreme being that created us for a certain reason. Other than that, we are just here because we got lucky, and there is no true meaning to life, and no true "reason" everything exists.

People hate to hear that though, and since it is not possible to answer why we exist with science, people flock to fabulous tales that comfort them. "Ahhhh, I have a purpose after all.", etc.

On my Brane we are all masters of our own Strings.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Do you have to "believe" in a fairy tale for it to be useful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    You have to believe in the "lesson" taught for it to be useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post

that's what i try telling people
    I say the only reason people still hang on to religion is for their unanswered questions because god can answer almost everything
    how was the universe created god made it but what happens when one day we find that something else made the universe
    ancient religions died off because tings got explained like the Egyptology sun god in the chariot or something like that
    we now know there is no guy in a chariot so that religion was forgotten or the Greek gods people believed so strongly that they were up on Mt Olympus but when they found out Zeus didn't make lighting and it was plasma they just dropped the whole idea
    eventually all of today major religions will be dropped but until we find gods house or his mansion or even his crib atheism will always remain
    and when people pray for those who are sick its not god that cures them its modern medicine and the men and women who make it happen
    we are our own masters we control our actions and we make things changed
    the only thing good about religion is the principles of kindness and doing good throughout your life and helping those in need it just comes with a fantasy tale attached to it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Livemau For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

On a side note here is a thing that has puzzled me for the longest time.

Evolution or Godly intervention.

Why is it that only humans have this "gift" that makes it possible to be what we are? I mean look at nature. Some fish are only fish, others have little legs, others are able to breath air with a gill/lung combo.

Where are the medieval non human critters? Why are other brands of critters not discovering fire? Seems peculiar. Why are monkeys not deciding to walk upright? Seems like we got lucky 10 times in a row.

Aliens?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Not at all Snake. I believe the bible to hold many wonderful lessons, that everyone should take to heart.

Stomp hit it on the nose. (bully)

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@Morfic what I meant by "why" is that we cannot comprehend order. We know that gravity pulls objects toward earth. So if I drop my phone it will fall to the ground. Why? Because gravity pulled it towards the ground. But that does not explain why gravity pulled it down. That only explains that, yes, gravity did, indeed, pull it down.

We know that our thoughts are no more than just electronic pulses in our brains correct? Even so we cannot explain emotions such as love, hope, fear, etc. We know "how" we think these things (by using our brain) Science can never explain why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    @Morfic what I meant by "why" is that we cannot comprehend order. We know that gravity pulls objects toward earth. So if I drop my phone it will fall to the ground. Why? Because gravity pulled it towards the ground. But that does not explain why gravity pulled it down. That only explains that, yes, gravity did, indeed, pull it down.

We know that our thoughts are no more than just electronic pulses in our brains correct? Even so we cannot explain emotions such as love, hope, fear, etc. We know "how" we think these things (by using our brain) Science can never explain why.
    larger objects pull smaller objects towards them (earth vs ur phone)
    if ur phone was massive (in terms of mass) earth would fall to your phone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Trying to remain random here but: Why did God make love, gravity and human life?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@livemau great job at explaining further how it happens.
    @stompartist thats off topic of our already off topic conversation lol. Read the bible if you wanna know that. Then maybe come back here and share your favorite verse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

@stompartist thats off topic of our already off topic conversation lol. Read the bible if you wanna know that. Then maybe come back here and share your favorite verse
    @Micah, good job at skating a very valid point. :P

Asking "Why" is something that both sides cannot deal with. Just as science cannot answer all the "why"'s, the bible and it's readers cannot either. Example:

Q: Why did God create the Earth?
    A: Because he needed somewhere for humans to live? (guessing, insert whatever reason you believe to be true)

Q: Why did he create humans?
    A: Umm,, because he was lonely? He wanted a sort of antfarm maybe? (guessing, insert whatever reason you believe to be true)

Q: Why did he need an antfarm?
    A: I dunno, he just did okay!?

Have a conversation with most children who ask why over and over. They will drill you down until you do not have the answers. This applies to every subject, science and religion. God/The Bible does not answer all or any of those why's.

It is impossible for either side to know the most basic "why"s of any situation, so this argument is irrelevant as well. Science does answer (or try to answer) the why's though. Interpreters of the Bible are just guessing at the why's based on what the bible says that other people said a long time ago.

General Relativity and the theory of Graviton particles at least attempts to answer the "Why". Certain things like that, we have not been able to 100% answer... why... it happens, but its only due to limits in our own technology. At this point in time, we have answered "Why the earth is flat" with... "it isn't, it is round". That why has been answered, but it might be disproved in the future if we learn that the world really is flat, but works through crazy wormholes and reflections of time/space that make it appear round from space.. etc etc. Point is, Why's can always be changed, and are extremely hard to answer 100%.

But the Bible (or god) can't answer these Why's of yours either. It's a tough subject, but there are a LOT more explanations of how things came to be with science, than religion. Off the top of my head:

- How did Moses part the sea? (not "God did it", exactly how.)
    - How did Jesus turn water to wine? (not "through the power of the holy spirit", what was the process he used?)
    - How long is each day to god? In 7 days he created everything, but we have proof of things being hundreds of millions of years old. Is each day 1 million years to god?
    - How was is possible that Noah held 2 of every creature on a boat? It's physically impossible. How did the dinosaurs fit on there?.... o wait.
    - Why are there no dinosaurs in the Bible? We have evidence of dinosaurs existing FAR FAR before man. I missed the part where god created the dinosaurs... then chilled for 300 million years, (or whatever), then created all the other animals and humans. Also, didn't he create light a couple days before man? So dinosaurs lived in darkness forever? No wonder they died!

again, point is, neither side has all the answers. Religion is a lot of fun to debate, but neither side should expect a 100% correct answer on anything. Just believe whatever it is your heart believes. Live by good morals, and enjoy life to the fullest.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I have, even was an altar boy. I was just being curious because I have never seen anything about "why". To be honest my favorite bit is the entire Genesis. Cool stuff.

As a side note I am also fascinated by the human spirit that thinks it can understand everything and that no natural phenomenon will ever have the explanation: "Woah. This is way too complex for us, forget about it", pretty impressive in an arrogant way for a species. :P
    Last edited by StompArtist; 07-18-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@Morfic You haven't read the Bible have you? All your Q&A's are answered very simply. He created everything to bring glory to him.

As for your scientific stuff check out Answersingenesis.com. There are easy answers to the ark and the "million year" theory. You make a point though, we will never know 100% of all answers. I agree with you 100% on that (see what I did there? XD) if you want, we can message back and forth and stuff. Honestly I'm very glad to meet someone who thinks about this stuff. Most people don't care, or don't want to care.

@stompartist I'm not sure I understand O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

@Micah: Apparently I do not understand either. I am saying that I have read the Bible and have not seen anything about "why" God did all this. From your answer to Morf I am deducing that you say that he did for his glory? Where?
    Last edited by StompArtist; 07-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.