Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The Mystery of the Dark Legends Pentagram

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Very interesting thread. Good comments.

My take is, when we call something offensive, we are saying something about ourselves in most cases, rather than about the thing that we are offended by. In other countries around the world it's different, but here in 'the West', our governments allow their citizenry great latitude in expression, and we 'ban' relatively few things. I think the hope is, authorities will only limit expressions that a large majority of us feel offended by, rather than the government telling it's people, 'we find this offensive, how you feel about it is unimportant, we're banning it because we don't like it and that's the end of it'. For that reason the argument often made to other citizens by many folks in the West who find some object or expression offensive is 'don't you all agree that this is offensive?' as they try and gather enough support to persuade authorities to limit or outright ban something. MM, I didn't get the impression you were trying to make such an argument.

Despite Carapace's clear description of how the decision to use the symbol was arrived at (thanks for that, Cara) I think it's difficult to separate the idea of religion from any discussion of such symbology. I think somebody mentioned the use of satanic symbology in some rock albums and artwork. I love rock, but I think you could make a strong argument in such cases that the symbology was being used to intentionally try and offend. In some of those cases...okay, you win, I'm offended. I certainly don't think that was the case here in DL. I'm a Christian, but my beliefs are internal, and in general I don't (or try not to) take offense at outward things. According to my beliefs, God gave Man free will, so I'm loathe to step on somebody else's right to exercise that free will, and say or do as they wish. I didn't come to faith in God because of anything that a man created, and likewise I don't think anything that a man (or woman, sorry) created will take me away from that faith.

In the end, I agree with the argument others have already made; if something offends me, here in my country the responsibility is on me to walk away, not on someone else to change their work to suit me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenician1 For This Useful Post: