Quote Originally Posted by Jjesus86 View Post
well first off it is only an opinion. mine is it adds to the immersion. yours is it doesn't. that's ok that we have different opinions right?
Perfectly ok! Sorry if I came across as otherwise.

ultima huh? I guess I wan playin Zelda oot, Mario kart, ff7, and such in 97-98. and I was highly immersed in all of those. but my ability to be immersed in a video game world did not only extend to those 2 years. long b4 those years I was highly immersed in the worlds of ff2 and ff3 for snes shadowrun for sega genesis or honestly I could go back further and talk about how immersive Metroid, kid niki, and the wizards and warriors series were for me back on the nes days. it did not end in the years 97-98 either. after those years we would get gems like shadow of colossus, killer 7, resident evil4 and later still there would be borderlands, bastion, batman, no more heroes , the castlevaniaroids(ds)games, kid Icarus,and all the sts games so far. and that is by no means a comprehensive list.

all that was to let you know im not really part of the younger generation heck my daughter plays legends games with me nowadays. actually now that I think about it I have loved quite a few fixed camera games. its just jarring to play an sts game with out it ... im sure ill adjust since it is not changing ... just like I did when they added cool downs to pl ... I hated it ... I've adjusted *actually now that I think about it I guess I never did get used to it in pl ... quit playing that shortly after ... but that could be blamed on sl*
Sounds like we have some common gaming experiences in our backgrounds. Yes, Metroid... dear, sweet Metroid. I'm not ashamed to admit I never could finish that game legitimately, lol. But man, now THAT was an immersive game for the 8-bit generation! And Super Metroid was such a phenomenal masterpiece that I still give it a play through every now and then. Same with Metroid 2 on the Gameboy, but a lot of people considered that one a bit of a flop (not me!).

Funny you should mention Wizards & Warriors. I was at Chuck E. Cheese for my daughter's birthday recently and they had a Doodle Jump arcade there. We were taking turns playing it because it was an easy 50 tickets, and I was so reminded of that stupid bouncy knight hopping up the side of a castle, lol.

I notice that you didn't mention anything from the pre-NES days, so I'm guessing you might not go back as far that that. You named Zelda: OoT, but not A Link to the Past, so I'm thinking your main age of influence, as far as it pertains to video games, came during the n64 era. I actually skipped the entire n64 generation, so I think you might have been more initiated into 3D gaming than me, since you dove into that first generation of them, while I skipped it entirely. Not really sure where I'm going with all that... Guess I'm just trying to pinpoint the differences in our history to better understand our differences in opinion today. If that makes any sense.

anyway since you read this and cared enough to comment im going to ask if you tried my "zoom up so I can see the pretty graphics even with out camera control" method? and if so what did u think? and yea I can take if you didn't like it ... I don't expect it to be a good enough fix for most ppl... also im a bit old school so sometimes I play with double pixel on just so it feel more like an 8 bit game ... does that make me weird?
I haven't tried playing zoomed in, but I will now. I would assume it to be a hinderance, since you can't see as far around your character. But if you're managing to play like that ok, then maybe it's not as bad as I imagine. I'll give it a shot and see what it's like.

And no, double pixel doesn't make you weird. I do it sometimes, too, heh.