Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Two Years of Art Progress; Before and After!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Default Two Years of Art Progress; Before and After!

So, some of you might be familiar with this piece:

it was for some forum based contest on some gear design. i really cant remember who held it, if who won, etc. a few days ago, i was looking through the photos on my phone, when i noticed a "art" album with three pictures, with the above being one of them. i still loved the overall concept, but my ability didn't match its creativity. Since i know A LOT more about digital art now from when i made that picture, i decided to have another go at it.

i did A LOT of rendering, which was actually quite fun! thanks for being there with me during my progress. anyone can be good at art. just have to be willing to do all the work!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Is that ghastly? finished piece looks cool!
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

You should have a go at your angel cross crossbow next from a few years ago. That render is incredible, I like how the face resembles batman too (to me at least). Great work, as always.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Wow. All I can say. :thumbup:

-------------------
    Sent using spray paint on the city walls.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

How pro
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Wow you never have disappointed! Your amazing! My art teacher even knows your stuff......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

again....amazing as always...bravo lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

You can definitely see the improvement, great piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Awesome as always

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

So i asked a question on one of your other threads i believe never got a reply though :3 but did you go to school to learn the techniques or just figure out as you go? Just curious. I free hand and dont do all the fancy stuff really good people like you do lol.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by razerfingers View Post
    So i asked a question on one of your other threads i believe never got a reply though :3 but did you go to school to learn the techniques or just figure out as you go? Just curious. I free hand and dont do all the fancy stuff really good people like you do lol.

I never went to school. I'm on the east coast ad all of the concept art schools are either overseas, or in the west coast. on top of that, I can't afford it lol. I learned everything I know through YouTube. I watched time lapse (sped up art) videos religiously. I've received a lot of criticism as well, which I always listen to, from some proffesional concept artists I befriended through Instagram, which helps a great deal. I could refer you to some YouTube channels if you wish.

I draw A LOT too, so that also helps too lol. you can do something for 10 hours a day and get no where if you aret doing
    doing it right, so I do a lot of reading. I also have some books that help. you get hired based on your ability, school also helps a great deal, but if you're disciplined enough you can make it for sure.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    I never went to school. I'm on the east coast ad all of the concept art schools are either overseas, or in the west coast. on top of that, I can't afford it lol. I learned everything I know through YouTube. I watched time lapse (sped up art) videos religiously. I've received a lot of criticism as well, which I always listen to, from some proffesional concept artists I befriended through Instagram, which helps a great deal. I could refer you to some YouTube channels if you wish.

I draw A LOT too, so that also helps too lol. you can do something for 10 hours a day and get no where if you aret doing
    doing it right, so I do a lot of reading. I also have some books that help. you get hired based on your ability, school also helps a great deal, but if you're disciplined enough you can make it for sure.
    Sweet, yeah that would be great if you could tell me the youtube channels. Id definatlet check them out. I have a hard time with drawing people lol like the hands and stuff its a lil difficult xD and i see, i was curious only because ive seen some really good people on your instagram(people you have followed) and i was like hmmm. I wonder but apparently you dont need school to be able to do what you do. Good to know!!

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

That's amazing.

16.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    803 Posts

All I can say is wow!
    | | |

| |

Need Help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Sweet, yeah that would be great if you could tell me the youtube channels. Id definatlet check them out. I have a hard time with drawing people lol like the hands and stuff its a lil difficult xD and i see, i was curious only because ive seen some really good people on your instagram(people you have followed) and i was like hmmm. I wonder but apparently you dont need school to be able to do what you do. Good to know!!

FZDschool for concept art. Feng Zhu, one of my concept idols, runs his own concept art school in Singapore and has done concept art for Star Wars and transformers, to name a few. He talks through all of his videos, explaining his progress on the video as it happens, as well as giving you other advice based on the industry and some fundamentals. His voice is always lively and he doesn't pause, so you won't get bored through the 40min-2hour long episodes.

The next one is for concept art and figure drawings, idrawgirls. The artist is Xia Taptara and has done work for Arena net, I think the developers of guild wars (forgive me if I'm wrong). His teaching method is a little dry, full of "uh...umm" but if you can get over it, you'll learn a lot. I remember my highschool teachers not being as exciting either lol. He also has a website, theartclasses.com, where you can download, watch free tutorials (the ones found on YouTube, minimum of 20 mins or so each) or you could buy some premium ones. I've personally purchased about 5 or 6 of them. They come with goodies as well, such as his brush sets and usually a PDF of the progresses to follow along with. One of them actually aided me with this piece. Really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphina View Post
    All I can say is wow!
    Thanks delph

Thank you everyone else!

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    FZDschool for concept art. Feng Zhu, one of my concept idols, runs his own concept art school in Singapore and has done concept art for Star Wars and transformers, to name a few. He talks through all of his videos, explaining his progress on the video as it happens, as well as giving you other advice based on the industry and some fundamentals. His voice is always lively and he doesn't pause, so you won't get bored through the 40min-2hour long episodes.

The next one is for concept art and figure drawings, idrawgirls. The artist is Xia Taptara and has done work for Arena net, I think the developers of guild wars (forgive me if I'm wrong). His teaching method is a little dry, full of "uh...umm" but if you can get over it, you'll learn a lot. I remember my highschool teachers not being as exciting either lol. He also has a website, theartclasses.com, where you can download, watch free tutorials (the ones found on YouTube, minimum of 20 mins or so each) or you could buy some premium ones. I've personally purchased about 5 or 6 of them. They come with goodies as well, such as his brush sets and usually a PDF of the progresses to follow along with. One of them actually aided me with this piece. Really good stuff.

Thanks delph

Thank you everyone else!
    Alright thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Alright thanks!

Find Matt Kohr and Stephanie Valentin on youtube they have very great and instructional videos for new digital artists. I also suggest joining communities on Google + lot's of professional friend and helpful artists. Also something to take into consideration is matt kohr has several videos centered around introducing new artists to the PS UI and the basic essential functions.

Links for you Links for all!: Matt Kohr's Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ctrlpainter

Stephanie Valentin: http://www.youtube.com/user/StephanieValentin

Stephanie focuses more on people if that is what you are looking for. Also check out their websites stval.fr and ctrlpaint.com

and yes Red Arenanet is behind the production of GW2
    Last edited by xcon; 02-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I took and went to idrawgirls's website and was like sick i wanna draw batman. (Saw the video in the corner on homepage) and this is how it came out

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

I was the one who held the contest red , good to see you've been keeping up with your art.
    your new work looks amazing, keep at it!

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38