Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AL Boss Compendium (Tips and strategies)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Default AL Boss Compendium (Tips and strategies)

Hello! I'd like to introduce this small thread based on the bosses and tough guys found in Arlor. Before I begin my short but concise reviews on them, I'd like to post this to all the people who say the bosses are too hard:

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne:841476
    We'd say, play better.
    (I just love that quote)
    Overall, all of them have a weakness and that weakness is for us to exploit. I'm doing this to help others play better with what I have found when fighting them. Let's get started now shall we?

Name: Stabb
    Found in: Brackenridge Forest (1-1)

This guy is your first boss and he isn't too hard to beat. Things to note is that his melee is pretty damaging so stay out of the red area when it pops up and be aware that he charges targets out of range. Take advantage of the health packs he occasionally drops from his pockets to heal yourself and make sure to kill his two servants to ease up on how much damage you'll take. He shouldn't give low levels too much of a problem.

Name: Krax Wildstorm
    Found in: Brackenridge Aqueducts (1-2)

The second boss encounter with a definite increase in difficulty. This is a goblin sorcerer with a few comrades so always expect ranged attacks. Krax also shoots out some flame attacks so avoid the red area warnings. The twist with this boss is that there's also poison spilt over the ground and that he heals himself by a pretty big amount if not dealt with fast. He also drops med packs so use them if caught by the blast attacks or just low on health.

Name: Jarl of Brackenridge
    Found in: Village (1-3)

This boss is destined to give lower levels a load of trouble if they just charge straight at him. He's big and so is his arm despite his strong like of drinking.
    The main goal you should focus on is the mobs that surround him in two groups. The first group is around 6 goblins with a few archers. Take them out without alerting the Jarl. (This can be done by going back to the boardwalk entrance). After taking out that group, get a warrior to distract the Jarl long enough to get your rogues and sorcerers to slip past into the second group. After that is all done, you should probably heal the warrior if he doesn't dodge the heavy sword swipes from the Jarl. Just keep your tank healed or run around for your own to survive the rest of the battle. The rest is just unloading the damage.

Name: Thunk One-Eye
    Found in: Village (1-3)

Two bosses in one map? Yup. The Jarl isn't the only one brewing up trouble in the village and the leader of the band here is a tough goblin archer.
    The best way to kill him is to kill him before his goblins burst out from the houses. He can pack a punch with his blast shot so stay out of the red area! (It stuns you along with the heavy damage so it really is advisable to avoid this at all costs) The reinforcement mob is largely made of archers and spearmen so go around the fountain and pick up the health packs if you feel overwhelmed. Once you kill Thunk, the goblins will stop respawning into the battle.

Name: Ghul Bellybottom
    Found in: Gold Mine (1-4)

Prepare for a big fight if it's your first time at him. Ghul is the goblin overlord of the area and the mysterious portal is giving him immense power.
    Since this is where people get stuck the most I'll break this into two groups: Regular strategy and my personal strategy.

If you only have a rogue or warrior, this fight can take a while. Ghul's power gives him a really tough shell and takes damage really slowly in that state. (He also packs a punch so running around while he is empowered is effective at times) Once he gets exhausted and his shield drops, return the favor and put as much damage as you can before he recharges at the portal. Be aware that Stabb, Krax, and Thunk will appear if you take too long to kill him! The only advantage of fighting four bosses is the chance of getting better loot but with higher risks of dying.
    If you want the achievement "Speed Slayer", you must kill Ghul before the third henchman appears. Luckily, I took a study into him and found his weakness. Be aware that you need a mage that has the Ice Bolt skill for this to work! After Ghul drops the shield for the first time, that mage needs to spam freeze him the instant he moves for the portal! While he is frozen in place and cannot move, everyone needs to kill him quickly before the mage runs out of mana! (Potions are still good to have) That's the best way I've found to defeat this boss.

Name: Stahl
    Found in: Ydra Outskirts (2-1)

Easily the most frustrating boss to beat, Stahl is extremely infamous for being able to kill mages and rogues in just two swipes which just happen to be ranged too! He hops around the map into different poison spills so either be ready to ambush his escape route or he'll have an opprotunity to throw his spikes at you again. Fortunately he has a lower armor and health amount from the rest to balance it out. (Reminds me of the Shadow Witch in PL a bit) I managed to compile a little bit of things that could help you fight this beast and get the Precise Perambulator achievement at the same time. Because this boss is one of the top notched ones like Ghul, this'll be yet another long one. (Sorry to all you guys who like small sentences)
    Warriors have the best chances at beating this guy mostly because they don't die in two hits. A great skill to have is the throwing Axe with the chain perk attached to it. This pulls Stahl from the poison he just loves to stand in into the warriors swinging distance. Buff, heal, and smash this ninja to death before he kills you.
    Rogues have the hardest time with this guy because... well they just die in two seconds here. I strongly recommend that you activate the blades shield with the +10 dodge perk just as you get in his range. The dodo also gives an additional +10 dodge if you have one so use it with the skill for a big chance to avoid his initial attack. Smoke is vital against him as it disorients him and gives you armor. (Remember to stay off the poison) Hit him hard and fast if you want to conserve your potions and sanity.
    Mages are in-between with this. They have a better fighting chance than the rogues but are still squishy against Stahl. The shield is great at first entry so use this as an advantage. Have your heal at the ready and hit him hard with the nuke spells. One thing that turns the table just happens to be the... Ice Bolt. Yup. This skill is a beast I tell you. By now you should know what to do next.
    If you have any other questions for this boss, just pm me or ask me from below in the comment section.

Name: Mother
    Found in: Rook's Hideout (2-2)

Now this is an interesting boss encounter. The entire strategy around this boss isn't about the skills you use but by where you are... Intriguing isn't it? To effectively kill this big momma, you gotta be in the right spot at the right time or you'll end up spun in a web next to Ribbit.
    This is usable by all classes so this isn't going to be as long. A brief summary of this boss is that it's the biggest spider you'll ever want to see. (Silly necromancers) She is ranged and can put out a big bite that's powerful enough to put more than a dent in a warrior.
    First thing to know is to NEVER try to run away. She'll shoot out a web that is similar to the warriors' throwing Axe and then bite your head off. Second thing you need to know is to avoid being trampled by the momma after she screeches. More heavy damage if you just stand there. The best thing to do when fighting this boss is by staying as close as you can behind the boss! That's it! Stay close and always stay alert for when she screeches or attempts to do a heavy bite.

Name: Klutus
    Found in: Ydra Forest (2-3)

This is a big and very strong troll. Luckily you don't need just fire to take him down, but he still takes a lot of damage due to his high health pool.
    He attacks with different charged strikes that all do heavy damage. The ones that do the most damage are generally the easiest to dodge while there are some that cover more area than others. The key with taking him down is by staying in the safe areas (mostly just behind him) and continually cutting him down. Because he uses only charged attacks, having a high leveled goat can distract lots of his attacks and knock him onto the ground.

Name: Becquila
    Found in: Ydra Forest (2-3)

The master of the troll Klutus and a higher rank than the rest of the necromancers. Becquila is powerful when it comes to magic and can travel to different areas safely to get some range between her and her next target.
    Becquila starts out standing next to the caged in troll. After approaching the cage, Klutus with smash it open and lumber after you with an oversized stick. It's best to retreat to the previous intersection and fight Klutus there before starting this boss battle. (See previous boss for hints and tips on the troll Klutus)
    After defeating Klutus, Becquila will be easier to fight while she commands here dead pet troll to attack you. She is like any other necromancer except that she can transport to different places and packs an even bigger punch with her charged spells and normal attacks. I recommend a quick and brutal strike at her. The best way to defeat her cleanly is by doing it as fast as possible. Use stuns and knock-downs to prevent her from using her escape spell and making the fight take longer.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 12-01-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cahaun For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I like this thread. I honestly thought bosses we're sort of impossible to beat at first, but as i continue playing i found that you just have to know when to attack and dodge certain attacks (usually flashes in red). If you need help with this let me know.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I thought the key to defeating a boss was too spam pots/skills.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I was pretty happy with the difficulty of bosses in AL at the beginning.
    But it seems that they nerfed it. Now it takes no strategy at all. Just smash the buttons, that's all :/

Now I can even solo elite ;(
    Before a whole team would need quite a while to take down one of the goons.

It got already pretty easy, so pls don't nerf it further more or I just need to play blindfolded to increase difficulty.
    Last edited by Bebsi; 11-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bebsi View Post
    I was pretty happy with the difficulty of bosses in AL at the beginning.
    But it seems that they nerfed it. Now it takes no strategy at all. Just smash the buttons, that's all :/

Now I can even solo elite ;(
    Before a whole team would need quite a while to take down one of the goons.

It got already pretty easy, so pls don't nerf it further more or I just need to play blindfolded to increase difficulty.
    What class are you? I am looking forward to the rogue, but I need to know if it can solo.

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Sorcerer is the most fun for Bosses IMO.. You have to time heals and Dodge those boss special attacks.
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
    What class are you? I am looking forward to the rogue, but I need to know if it can solo.
    I have a rouge as my main, and it's kinda hard to solo without a tank with you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duflie View Post
    I have a rouge as my main, and it's kinda hard to solo without a tank with you
    For now *insert evil laugh*

PL-lvl 76 Duper mage (main)
    AL- Hephaestus warrior (main), Duper Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

In PL tradition I play all 3 classes, but easiest to solo and survive is the warrior. You will find out soon.
    The warrior class has now the ability to regen mana and health, in a much more effective way than the Mage class itself.

The pets are not just for show. Some are really powerful (not only the plat ones), making it easier to survive.
    But even the ones that u can buy for plat in the store drop as loot (I'm not sure if all, but I saw a few in auction house)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I have personally hunted all of the bosses with all of my classes and I can say that Bebsi is correct there. All classes can kill the bosses but the warrior is the easiest to use with the right build.
    AL is out for Android and chrome so I'll post all of the bosses now including their Elite versions.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Ghul Bellybottom's weakness has been revealed. See how I solo him with my strategy posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Be aware that you need a mage that has the Ice Bolt skill for this to work! After Ghul drops the shield for the first time, that mage needs to spam freeze him the instant he moves for the portal! While he is frozen in place and cannot move, everyone needs to kill him quickly before the mage runs out of mana! (Potions are still good to have) That's the best way I've found to defeat this boss.

"[spoilar=etcetcSubtitle]etcetc[/spoilar]" is how you do it but replace spoilar with spoiler

well rogue... deals smaller regular damage than warrior, and can't use special spells on bosses... so yea
    Last edited by Qingsanale1st; 11-14-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    DL 36 ... Qingstana (qing>Flareblitz>Gilgameshqing), DL 35 Kingsan Crusadin', DL 22 Arkbringaqing My arse arse. (btw aka Twinker)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Qingsanale1st For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

....but WTF samhayne what "play better"?
    ....The Ghul guy's weakness is to Ice spells which neither warrior or Rogue can exploit making it a very tough fight to solo against... including the high damage output of every boss since this one....
    Sometimes some party member leave all of a sudden and you by yourself, but you don't want to re-enter the place because it's annoying... Nerf All the bosses' and mob damage output by a half... cos rogues can't keep up with the numbe of hits made... or speed up rogues attacks by a lot, add range, and add number of enemies hit by from all of rogue's attacks... Grrr they die too fast
    DL 36 ... Qingstana (qing>Flareblitz>Gilgameshqing), DL 35 Kingsan Crusadin', DL 22 Arkbringaqing My arse arse. (btw aka Twinker)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

O. O

I have absolutely no trouble soloing bosses with my rogue. Play better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qingsanale1st:856363
    ....but WTF samhayne what "play better"?
    ....The Ghul guy's weakness is to Ice spells which neither warrior or Rogue can exploit making it a very tough fight to solo against... including the high damage output of every boss since this one....
    Sometimes some party member leave all of a sudden and you by yourself, but you don't want to re-enter the place because it's annoying... Nerf All the bosses' and mob damage output by a half... cos rogues can't keep up with the numbe of hits made... or speed up rogues attacks by a lot, add range, and add number of enemies hit by from all of rogue's attacks... Grrr they die too fast
    First I want to thank you for reading through my thread as I can see you are quoting my personal way to kill Ghul. Yes a sorcerer is required to do this so the warriors and Rogues are left behind when it comes to being able to use it.
    If you feel you can't solo Ghul on your Rogue, grab a friend that has the Ice Bolt. Warriors can definitely solo him with their armor but it takes them a while to put enough damage into him (Warriors may have a good base damage but they are a bit slow)
    Now I see what you are concerned of next. Your party members disappear in the middle of battle and you find yourself in the middle of battle? It happens. The good thing for you is that the mobs weaken as less people are on. That's why a lot of people are favoring to go solo.
    Third one you strayed off on me as we never talked about mobs or if the bosses punch too hard. (I made a thread that helps you kill them without dying. Should be around here somewhere)
    Nerf the bosses and mobs? Then you follow it up with a small rant on how Rogues die quickly and need a buff? I can assure you that Rogues already had their skill damage boosted. Rogues die quickly because they can kill quickly. It's a balance I say. Either you need new gear, tactics, skill sets, or a good party, or you should reconsider switching to the warrior if survival is mostly in your interests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Stahl's review is coming soon along with Mother so hold on until I get everything arranged and posted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    Stahl's review is coming soon along with Mother so hold on until I get everything arranged and posted
    oh yeaa haha i almost thought you forgot about those guys and the snow troll and the black knight

oh yea, where is that other thread you made? i couldn't really see what post it was....
    Last edited by Qingsanale1st; 11-18-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hows classic strategy is bad? Stand and kill stop making tips for simple things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmspker:858538
    How's classic strategy bad? Stand and kill them. Stop making tips and strategies for simple things
    I'll place you right next to Stahl and let you slug it out with him or I can just keep a few hints hidden before you fight the Elite Krax Wildstorm. The bosses here require more than a tank-and-spank method and to just stand right in front of them isn't going to smile upon you or your funds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I was looking all around the general discussion area trying to find my thread again lol. Found it!