Thread: Comprehensive Archer Skills and Equipment Guide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

One thing I notice sometimes is the Cruel Blast combo not working on the bigger guys. Maybe I wasn't close enough some of the times, but I swear that every time I try to do the Cruel Blast combo on big enemies that it just doesn't work, as in give me the big "Combo" text. I never have a problem doing it on normal mobs. Are some enemies resistant to this combo? Or am I just missing it an not realizing?

Also, about Heavy Crossbows. I've yet to run into one that has even close to as much DPS as normal bows. Why is that? The only reason I could see using it would be if you were only going to get off 1 shot before the mob dies because they have higher damage per shot. Do they get better than normal bows? Or is there something I am not understanding?
    Last edited by OldSchoolRPGs; 01-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRPGs View Post
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.

One thing I notice sometimes is the Cruel Blast combo not working on the bigger guys. Maybe I wasn't close enough some of the times, but I swear that every time I try to do the Cruel Blast combo on big enemies that it just doesn't work, as in give me the big "Combo" text. I never have a problem doing it on normal mobs. Are some enemies resistant to this combo? Or am I just missing it an not realizing?

Also, about Heavy Crossbows. I've yet to run into one that has even close to as much DPS as normal bows. Why is that? The only reason I could see using it would be if you were only going to get off 1 shot before the mob dies because they have higher damage per shot. Do they get better than normal bows? Or is there something I am not understanding?
    Cruel Blast, from what I've seen, works on every single enemy in game. If there's an enemy that you can't seem to get the combo on, let me know which enemy it is and which map you're in so I can attempt to duplicate your results.

Heavy xbows have huge damage and low DPS for a reason. For example, let's say there's a xbow with 140-165 damage and DPS of 100. Let's say an enemy has 140 health. Using a heavy xbow, you'll automatically kill it in one shot, so need for DPS.

Now let's say you have a normal bow with 100-125 damage and DPS of 140, and an enemy has 140 health. This bow is weaker than the xbow of 140-165 damage, but since it has a DPS of 140, you're pretty much guaranteed to kill it in one second.

Now let's say you are using the bow and the xbow against a boss with a lot of health, and it'll take approximately 30 seconds to kill it. Which has a better damage output?
    Xbow Damage 140-165, DPS of 100: 100x30sec= 3,000 damage
    Bow Damage 100-125, DPS of 140: 140x30sec= 4,200 damage

So the bow, with a low damage and high DPS, beats the xbow in a long, extended fight.

The rule of thumb I follow is that DPS matters more during boss fights, while damage matters more during normal enemy mobs.

Hope this somehow clears up the difference and helps you choose between damage or DPS, because they're both important