Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post
    Actually, if you have experienced PvP at a high end level, you would know that the average bear would annihilation an average bird before GcD, any day of the week; no competition there. The high armor of the bear and the beckon + slashes + stomp combo would take out a bird EVEN if the bird unloaded his whole arsenal arrows. You had to be smart before to take out a fury bear and actually apply strategy skill you gained from the experience within the arena.

PvP was relatively well balanced before. 10-fold more than it is now. Every class had a more or less equal chance of killing the other class, given that you were skilled enough.
    What's the difference nitpicking who would win pregcd, if an average bear "annhilates" an average bird pregcd then you have agreed with my argument that classes were unbalanced even before? Especially if you claim that a bear can do it "any day of the week; no competition there" - how is that remotely balanced compared to the average dex mage now annihilating a bird, any day of the week, no competition there? Case in point, like I said before, favoritism has shifted from one class/build to another class/build.

Quote Originally Posted by skimmey View Post
    So I am really curious where the added challenge of playing more strategic is now? I would be really glad to hear a reason or and example which matchup is more strategic now.
    Apparently, having one-shot rounds pre-GCD wasn't considered strategic at all either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    What's the difference nitpicking who would win pregcd, if an average bear "annhilates" an average bird pregcd then you have agreed with my argument that classes were unbalanced even before? Especially if you claim that a bear can do it "any day of the week; no competition there" - how is that remotely balanced compared to the average dex mage now annihilating a bird, any day of the week, no competition there? Case in point, like I said before, favoritism has shifted from one class/build to another class/build.

Apparently, having one-shot rounds pre-GCD wasn't considered strategic at all either.

Physiologic, you seem to be missing the point, and it is hard to have a to break it down for you when you have had close to zero pvp experience prior to the update. The point of pvp was not to be "average." The driving force of pvp, and the driving force behind competition and challenge is to become the best. This is psychology, and it can be very well explained with neuroscience. This is what kept players rooted to their devices prior to gcd, and in the arenas. An "average" player does not stay "average" pre gcd. There was a beautiful "S" shaped learning curve. I remember when I first started, I got my fair share of beat downs. This motivated me to practice, and invest in the arenas to get to where I am today. Same applies to other mages, birds, and bears I know that were distinguishable for the amateurs. With the current system in place, an "average" player has little room to grow. A complete newbie can enter the arena and perform at close to the same level now as he or she will down the line with experience. Before, you were able to see a qualitative difference in your playing style and skills over time; now, it has become one dimensional, with a limited scale. You can say what you will, and although I respect your educated opinions and respect what you are trying to do, unless you have had some form of actual experience with pvp before, these arguments won't mean anything to you. Again,

If there was clear "unbalance" prior to GCD, then explain to me why at least 95% of the pvp community is nostalgic over the old system? I agree that people don't like change, but this number exaggerates that statement. By now most people have already adapted the change and are ready to accept it and rise to the challenge. However, this is not the trend that we are observing within the pvp community. The old system WAS as balanced as it could be with 9 classes to chose from and all performing well in group games (given the time you put in). If anything, it was certainly more balanced than it is now, regardless of what you may have heard, rather than experienced. The only reason I devote my time in these posts, and to these discussions, is because I truly, truly care about this game, the pvp community, and the developers. Ill also assert over and over that I couldn't appreciate enough the hard work the devs have put in, and I hope these posts are viewed as constructive, and no other way.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post
    Physiologic, you seem to be missing the point, and it is hard to have a to break it down for you when you have had close to zero pvp experience prior to the update. The point of pvp was not to be "average." The driving force of pvp, and the driving force behind competition and challenge is to become the best. This is psychology, and it can be very well explained with neuroscience. This is what kept players rooted to their devices prior to gcd, and in the arenas. An "average" player does not stay "average" pre gcd. There was a beautiful "S" shaped learning curve. I remember when I first started, I got my fair share of beat downs. This motivated me to practice, and invest in the arenas to get to where I am today. Same applies to other mages, birds, and bears I know that were distinguishable for the amateurs. With the current system in place, an "average" player has little room to grow. A complete newbie can enter the arena and perform at close to the same level now as he or she will down the line with experience. Before, you were able to see a qualitative difference in your playing style and skills over time; now, it has become one dimensional, with a limited scale. You can say what you will, and although I respect your educated opinions and respect what you are trying to do, unless you have had some form of actual experience with pvp before, these arguments won't mean anything to you. Again,
    I was leaning more towards the inherent nature of a class' skill set (bear vs mage vs archer) that determines such an unbalance. How a bears' skill set compares to an archer's skill set prior to GCD mostly determined the outcome of the match, in which case according to you, bears would win hands on, if it was an average player vs an average player. The bird player would undoubtedly need more skill to overcome the average bear. Now, the shift is towards dex mages (a skill BUILD, not a class comparison like birds vs bears) who will win most matches, and an average bird would need more skill than the average dex mage to bear them.

I actually don't need higher-leveled PvP experience to conduct such an analytical study on PvP since you did say that bears would an annihilate a bird any day of the week pre-GCD. Had you said "the average bear and the average bird killed each other at a 50/50 rate pre-GCD" then I would back away since that statement would indeed prove such an extreme imbalance did not exist prior to the implementation of GCD.