Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding the Current Arcane Legends Skill System

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,905 Posts

Default Regarding the Current Arcane Legends Skill System

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sorcerer.jpg 
Views:	12469 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	64735

Hi Legends!

The Dragon Enclave expansion is just around the corner, planned for launch in mid-March. With that in mind, we want to take a moment to talk to you all about the current Skill system in Arcane Legends and the future plans for it.

When the Dragon Enclave expansion launches, you will be able to level up to 41. At level 41 you will have an abundance of skill points. Enough to spend on the active and passive skill trees and for the most part max out your character. This is pretty cool! Your character will be max’d out! On the other hand, it isn’t as interesting as when you need to make choices that define your character.

We are very aware of this shortcoming with the current skill system. We are hard at work developing a fun evolution to skills in Arcane Legends. Our plan is to allow for future growth, add interest and also address other shortcomings of the current skill system. We want to create a more interesting and strategic experience, allow for greater diversity in character builds, and also resolve issues inherent to the old system that players were experiencing in game.

This won’t happen overnight though. The skill system defines your characters and we respect that. We want to take the time to get it right.

The game is evolving and so too must the systems inside it. We expect to release more details about these exciting changes over the coming months.
    Last edited by Remiem; 02-26-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 83 Users Say Thank You to Remiem For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Looks interesting, maybe a new skill? (1st)
    Last edited by Osabevie; 02-26-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: idk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

How about creating a 5th skill slot and reducing mana costs so it doesn't cripple rogues?
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

5. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Cool the evolution of skills sounds promising! I look forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus:1494548
    How about creating a 5th skill slot and reducing mana costs so it doesn't cripple rogues?
    if making 5 skills, reduce skill cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Yes, 5 skills please. Zeus, take some of my mage's mana, I got too much mana there *hint hint*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

new skills mean that we need more skill slots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

My only thing is... I'm worried you guys are changing too much too fast. Its going to overwhelm a lot of players. I saw something similar happen during the Humania release in Pocket Legends. For me, all the different turnstile and elite gear etc etc really turned me (and a lot of others) off. I'm all for new stuff. Just not all at once.

That's just my opinion though.

On the surface, I love this idea. But combined with the new arcane shard stuff and the new itemization... its a LOT.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    This!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I agree it must be a lot of work for you guys to be done with, however I'm happy with how things are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I'm glad to finally be able to spend skill point to max out my character in one way or another, but seeing this intrigues me if you're going to be making even more changes.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

15.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Hey guys,

I know you will be eager for details about what we are planning. I promise we will have more to talk about on the skill front in the future. For right now, we wanted to get ahead of the issue and acknowledge that characters will be pretty max'd out with their skills when they make 41.

As for the issue of "changing too much at once" one of our design goals for improving skills for the future is to make the changes feel like improvements and an extension of the current system. We don't want to alienate anyone by making all new skills that are all different. We want your Rogue to still feel like the Rogue you have come to love, (or your Sorc, or your Warrior).

Again, the devil will be in the details, but we're not quite ready to reveal them yet. Just an acknowledgement of the current systems shortcomings and our plans to address them.

-Samhayne
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool, Great idea, looking forward to it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

@Samhayne Also I wish there was some way some things were for pve and others were for pvp instead of always having to see balance of everything through lenses of both.

I think it ends up that some really neat things to do with pve always can't be done right because of the ramifications in pvp.
    rogue ~ retired GM Enigmatic

19. The Following User Says Thank You to notfaded1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

How about the addition of a single slot arcane ability for your toon? Something with a relatively long cooldown, but which has benefits surpassing the arcane abilities of our pets.

Like the skill system, this would be upgradeable, and players would have to choose which arcane ability to spec, and sacrifice points that would otherwise go into skills or passives.

I'm thinking of arcane abilities which could either shore up weakness of the class (i.e., mana replenishment for Rogues, Armor/Shielding for Sorcs, DMG for Warriors), or, for offensive builds, devastating attacks, which can be chained/comboed with other players/classes.

One of the greatest features of PL was the individual combos and multi-class combos. They really added a wonderful element to the game, and I would love to see it carried forward to AL.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

The problem is that a lot of skill upgrades are useless. So people don't bother to put these points into skills so they end up on passives. And on top of that you are limited to 4 skills. So even if everyone did 5/5 on each skill slot then it would be 20 skill points max. And everything else on passive. So if you even were to give us new skills, you are still stuck at 4. Which may give us more diversity but still being maxxed. So the only real option is adding a 5th skill slot which will make people think about what passives to remove and sacrifice for a 5th skill. Also potentially some people may not want to even use a 5th skill. So I believe its time to add a 5th skill slot.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice

Sent from my RM-846_lta_brazil_200 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

As mentioned before: it would be a very good option if we can make 2 different skill builds, 1 for pve and the other for pvp... i found a way out to become a hybrid now, but it means i'm not perfect @ both of them... this might be some option for the future, atleast i'm looking forward on it!
    let the kick and the bass be your m*fcking guide!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepitcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notfaded1 View Post
    @Samhayne Also I wish there was some way some things were for pve and others were for pvp instead of always having to see balance of everything through lenses of both.

I think it ends up that some really neat things to do with pve always can't be done right because of the ramifications in pvp.
    Totally agree with this.

I would love to see elite kills (or elite runs completed) count for something, whether it is another leaderboard, guild ranks, or whatever. The game is currently weighted heavily to pvp, which a lot of players are not geared enough (or as things currently are, drama-tolerant enough) to participate in.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedenos View Post
    My only thing is... I'm worried you guys are changing too much too fast. Its going to overwhelm a lot of players. I saw something similar happen during the Humania release in Pocket Legends. For me, all the different turnstile and elite gear etc etc really turned me (and a lot of others) off. I'm all for new stuff. Just not all at once.

That's just my opinion though.

On the surface, I love this idea. But combined with the new arcane shard stuff and the new itemization... its a LOT.
    I have to agree that AL is can be very confusing and overwhelming with complicity to new players, or a returning player like me. I really like the way PL was organized in the sense of skills, map, etc. I know that if it was an exact copy of the interface it wouldn't be good but I was thinking of some system closer to PL where you can choose what games you want to join easily, and more skill slots, like said before me I think a 5th skill slot would be great. And overall something... better, it's hard to explain and it may just be that I need to get used to it.