Thread: Damage vs DPS, what's more important?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Damage vs DPS, what's more important?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but couldn't find an answer.

Under DEX stats there's Damage, and then there's also DPS. I am assuming that DPS calculates the overall damage per second taking into account all factors like critical and whatnot, although not sure what the formula is.

So my question is what is more important to have, or to strive for. For example right now I am using Incandescent blades, which I like quite a lot, mainly because it gives me the highest DPS and it's cheap :P But I know there's also Mountain's Teeth of Brutality, which goes for around 320K (I can't afford that), but comparing the stats it gives +17 Damage, but overall DPS goes down. So I was curious which would be better then...

Thanks.

EDIT: nm, found thread on second page that answers this, http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Damage-vs-DPS
    Last edited by Julenka; 06-20-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

I am a proponent of Damage over DPS due to my build... I have always seen better results with the higher DMG daggers vs the higher DPS daggers...

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

If you are a Dagger user, you want DpS over DmG. DpS is for the "Normal attack spammer"...I.E the mob swiming, up in your face dagger rogue. A high DpS will help you put down people faster with daggers equiped. If you are a Bow Assassin or a skill spammer, DmG is top pri. Even if you're are a bow normal attack spammer (which idk now why you would be, i think being a bow user and being a skill spammer should go hand and hand) high DmG would grant you the ability to deal the best single target damage. Now, if you are a skill spammer..same goes. DmG is directly associated with the damage delt from offensive skills.

In short

Normal attack spammer = DpS>DmG

Skill spammer/Bow user = DmG>DpS
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    If you are a Dagger user, you want DpS over DmG. DpS is for the "Normal attack spammer"...I.E the mob swiming, up in your face dagger rogue. A high DpS will help you put down people faster with daggers equiped. If you are a Bow Assassin or a skill spammer, DmG is top pri. Even if you're are a bow normal attack spammer (which idk now why you would be, i think being a bow user and being a skill spammer should go hand and hand) high DmG would grant you the ability to deal the best single target damage. Now, if you are a skill spammer..same goes. DmG is directly associated with the damage delt from offensive skills.

In short

Normal attack spammer = DpS>DmG

Skill spammer/Bow user = DmG>DpS
    +++
    Sig cred: Beelzeebob
    End Game Rogue Get-N-Paid
    Chances are I've probably killed you.
    Watch me on youtube : ) http://is.gd/YiK25Y

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so if i may add to this thread,

I have gotten some builds from this forum and currently trap then wade in with daggers into the trap and veiled area , i would want to spec DPS? . even though i also use AS/NOX like candy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperZup View Post
    so if i may add to this thread,

I have gotten some builds from this forum and currently trap then wade in with daggers into the trap and veiled area , i would want to spec DPS? . even though i also use AS/NOX like candy?

If you use your normal attack most of the time, i'd still say DpS over DmG. If the use of normal strikes and skills are close to "even" I'd STILL say DpS over DmG or find a healthy balance which can be obtained with certain ring/amulet combos.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i still find my thumb hitting the space bar everytime skills are on cooldown. i eat a fair few pots to. so ill keep the full dex thang that seemed to work before , ty zuzeq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im still 6 points spare though , so i must have missed something . . 0.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperZup View Post
    i still find my thumb hitting the space bar everytime skills are on cooldown. i eat a fair few pots to. so ill keep the full dex thang that seemed to work before , ty zuzeq

Thats call spamming...lol. You should go DmG over DpS if thats you play style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to be fair i try to get a cycle going . trap/veil / as / nox / spam/as/nox/spam . . but during cd im nomrally in the veil on the trap trying to get the bad guys to home in on me. so they get trapped. and in my buff bubble. but im not perfect and would never say i was. :P i still have lots to learn, and sometimes the forum can be ... sometimes counter productive against its self with the different play styles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks all for the replies. I am a dagger user and most of the time I just auto-attack, throwing in AS whenever I can (especially if there's a Sorc who can replenish my mana) + RS. The two other skills I have are SP and Heal Packs that are for emergencies. So given my playstyle/build I should definitely continue going for DPS over Damage.

Last edited by Julenka; 06-20-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Everyone who is saying DPS over DMG has forgotten that most of the high dmg daggers are AOE (Area of Effect) daggers. They strike 3 targets with 1 autoattack swing.

Thus - in reality, the DPS you're doing is tripled if you're hitting three targets at one time. Sure - for single target DPS>DMG... for MOB Clearing in elite? Give me Teeth all day long...

Effectively DPS over the long term for high DMG daggers is about 1.5 or 2.0 times what the 'stat' indicates... do some math and come back and talk to me.

Don't believe me - go buy yourself some lv 31 incandenscant blades and some lv 31 mountain teeth and tell me what you think afterwards... There's a reason the Mountains teeth have a higher demand than the incandescant blades.

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    Everyone who is saying DPS over DMG has forgotten that most of the high dmg daggers are AOE (Area of Effect) daggers. They strike 3 targets with 1 autoattack swing.

Thus - in reality, the DPS you're doing is tripled if you're hitting three targets at one time. Sure - for single target DPS>DMG... for MOB Clearing in elite? Give me Teeth all day long...

Effectively DPS over the long term for high DMG daggers is about 1.5 or 2.0 times what the 'stat' indicates... do some math and come back and talk to me.

Don't believe me - go buy yourself some lv 31 incandenscant blades and some lv 31 mountain teeth and tell me what you think afterwards... There's a reason the Mountains teeth have a higher demand than the incandescant blades.

I think you're a bit confused. There has been several post from Devs stating pretty much exactly what I said above. I don't even want to touch on the fact you just compared trash crate blades that go for 450 gold in CS to Leet blade that drop from a leet boss and also so happens to be only second to a pair of Arcane Hooks. I mean of course they're better... fact remains DmG IS directly associated with the DmG your skills put out...DpS IS...well, I said it already..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    I think you're a bit confused. There has been several post from Devs stating pretty much exactly what I said above. I don't even want to touch on the fact you just compared trash crate blades that go for 450 gold in CS to Leet blade that drop from a leet boss and also so happens to be only second to a pair of Arcane Hooks. I mean of course they're better... fact remains DmG IS directly associated with the DmG your skills put out...DpS IS...well, I said it already..
    You're right I should not have compared trash pinks with elite pinks.

I am a dagger rogue specced for specifically for MOB clearing. I have no mythic gear with the exception of a lucky charm amulet

However Since lv 26 I have stuck with daggers that have AOE (autoattack) capabilities and higher damage all the way. High DPS blades hit only one target with an autoattack. I am a skill AND autoattack spammer. Thus while I'm spamming my autoattack I hit three targets. Multiply my DPS by three and that's a more accurate figure. Add my skills into the mix and give me enough mobs to attack (say 7 or so) and my actual damage output is closer to 2.5k / second.

When I switch to DPS daggers (not really sure what lv 31 daggers have the best DPS...?) I am not as effective... by about 30%.

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    You're right I should not have compared trash pinks with elite pinks.

I am a dagger rogue specced for specifically for MOB clearing. I have no mythic gear with the exception of a lucky charm amulet

However Since lv 26 I have stuck with daggers that have AOE (autoattack) capabilities and higher damage all the way. High DPS blades hit only one target with an autoattack. I am a skill AND autoattack spammer. Thus while I'm spamming my autoattack I hit three targets. Multiply my DPS by three and that's a more accurate figure. Add my skills into the mix and give me enough mobs to attack (say 7 or so) and my actual damage output is closer to 2.5k / second.

When I switch to DPS daggers (not really sure what lv 31 daggers have the best DPS...?) I am not as effective... by about 30%.

At the end of the day, to each his own brother. You're obviously doing well for yourself. If you ever want to roll some leet with a Mythic beast of a bow Assassin (self proclaimed on the beast part...lol) my IGN: Zuzeq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

That sounds great Zuzeq! Add me IG... Alrisaia

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would be interested to see just wot builds you BOTH use if im honest

IGN..Hollycyanide LvL 25 at present

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Hm my trash incandescent blades hit more that one target provided they are bunched together. Does teeth have a larger radius?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metztli View Post
    Hm my trash incandescent blades hit more that one target provided they are bunched together. Does teeth have a larger radius?
    I believe you're mistaken friend. Incandescent blades hit one target per auto attack swing. I have used both and still have a pair of the incandescent blades, after running a number of tests I have yet to store more than one target simultaneously.

The mountains teeth on the other hand along with all daggers (epic, rare, legendary, or otherwise) that have the same glowing effect in their icon are aoe blades. They Strike three targets for every attack without the necessity of charging them.

<Elite Runners>