Thread: PLeague

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Default PLeague

Hey all. This is an idea that has been in my mind for the past year or so. A few months back before PL was cut off I typed up this document and shared it with a few friends to get initial feedback. They liked it for the most part but I never got around to finishing it and eventually procrastinating turned into me not caring. When STS announced that PL was no longer going to be updated, I wanted to post this badly as an effort to save the community, but I decided that it probably wasn't the best time with all of the craziness going on. Anyway without further ado, I present PLeague, a competitive player vs. player concept that has the potential to be very fun. It is far from finished, and I am expecting varying criticism, so please share your ideas. I understand that a few of these points may make no sense or seem very unrealistic, but that was sort of my goal; to spice up the game and give it some form of life again.
    PLeague Rules and Guidelines

Basic Introduction to PLeague
    PLeague is a competitive, organized league for experienced end game Player vs. Player (PvP) gamers. Players will dedicate themselves to teams of three, and these teams will practice and compete with other teams for gold, prizes, and bragging rights. This league may be confused with the typical tournament and ladder league that is already in use; however the big difference is that this is a league that players will dedicate themselves to year round, instead of just forming teams for a single tournament. The general outline will be typed out below, however rules are subject to change based on feedback from the community and how balanced the campaign is.

Teams
    Each team will have three players, consisting of an enchantress, archer, and warrior. Rhinos and Foxes are not allowed in the league at this time (subject to change). This team will form a guild of themselves only; however teams will be allowed to have multiple classes within their guild. Depending on the playing rules during a certain campaign or tournament, class restrictions may be made. For example, some players will argue that during the Blacksmoke Mountain/Ancient Caverns campaign, warriors have an advantage over the other classes; therefore the community can make a group decision to ban warriors from the league for the remainder of that campaign. Each team will have a designated captain. This captain makes the decisions for the team such as which teams to scrimmage and when, what tournaments the team will enter, and adding or removing players from the team (explained further below).

League Play
    For the duration of a campaign, teams will participate in regular “league play”, where teams will have scheduled matches once a week based on the availability of the opposing team. A schedule will be made when the league is in process, and it is each player’s responsibility to check the schedule frequently and be prepared for their match. The league play will come to a close when a new campaign is on the horizon. This finale will be hosted as the “Playoff Tournament” where teams are seeded based on their season record. The tournament will be single elimination with prize money for the top three teams.

Wager Matches
    Players (individually) can compete with the rest of the league by competing in Wager Matches, where players from different teams pair up and bet money on a match. The teams must consist of three players from three different teams. The amount of money to be bet must be a unanimous decision. A normal amount would be 5k or 10k per player. The winning team, of course, takes all of the money and distributes it evenly amongst themselves. This system is a good way to practice against other experienced players and gain game knowledge as well as money. These games can be scheduled at any time without the consent of the league.

Scrimmaging
    Teams may schedule a scrimmage that does not count towards their league record at any time without the consent of the league. Teams can use “fill-ins”

Restrictions
    Class and gear restrictions are entirely dependent on a poll taken by the league as a whole. The players from every team will vote on specific subjects in question, and the results decide if a class or piece of equipment is banned from the league or not.

Adding and Dropping Players
    If a team becomes unhappy with a player on their roster, their captain has the option to drop them from the team; or if a player becomes unhappy with his team, he/she can leave the team by themselves. If a player is removed from a team, they must wait for a period of four weeks before they can return to the same team, if desired. This will restrict players from “jumping” from team to team to give unfair advantages. Two teams can also perform a trade between players, if both captains from the two teams agree to the terms. The same four week restriction applies to trades. If available, a draft will be preformed at the start of each campaign, where players not previously on a team can be drafted to an existing team, again dependent on the captain’s decision.

Entering a New Team into the League
    A group of three players may come forth to the league leaders and ask to be entered as a new team, if they pass the following requirements:

1. The team must consist of three players and three players only.
    2. The team must consist of at least one enchantress, archer, and warrior. No rangers or paladins are allowed at this time.
    3. The team must have a guild set up with an appropriate guild/team name. The guild must be void of all other players except the three participants.
    4. The team must agree on a team captain.
    5. The team must have read and agreed to the rules of the league prior to their application.
    6. The team must have a payment of 100k gold ready (can be a combination from any of the three players or from one player only). This is to prevent teams from popping up all over the league. As of now, I can’t think of any other way to prevent this. To be clear, I am not looking for your money. I probably won’t even be a part of the league leaders since I will be participating in the league myself, so as I said before, the payment is to prevent an overflow of teams in the league. The money will most likely be recycled to the community through events or used for rewards in tournaments. To be honest, I don’t think 100k is enough based on the current economy, however this can be another group decision once the league is set up. I am open to ideas if you have a solution to this problem!
    Last edited by Mothwing; 04-15-2015 at 08:04 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

As a quick summary in case of TL;DR or if you didn't understand my gibberish:

A league will be formed that is similar to real life sports. People form teams of 3 and create a guild. We compete in the league and set up a schedule for rewards (the hard part). Team captains can add or remove players from their team as desired.

Again, I know this is far fetched, but I didn't like the idea of this sitting in my documents in case people really do want to participate.

And thanks to Ghost and Angeldawn for your help and support!
    Last edited by Mothwing; 04-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Wait. Sorry to start with something negative, but in real life sports, or in terms of LCS, dont the players meet together in real life? I wonder if it'll be a bit more difficult to carry this out, calling in terms that PL is a worldwide game, not a game of, for example, North American server and Brazilian Servers. How are you gonna get the tournament scheduleing correct if people live in different areas, in which the time convert can affect their daily life schedule?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Only read the TL;DR. Really wondering how this'll work, and who decides who becomes a team captain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Voices View Post
    Wait. Sorry to start with something negative, but in real life sports, or in terms of LCS, dont the players meet together in real life? I wonder if it'll be a bit more difficult to carry this out, calling in terms that PL is a worldwide game, not a game of, for example, North American server and Brazilian Servers. How are you gonna get the tournament scheduleing correct if people live in different areas, in which the time convert can affect their daily life schedule?
    No worries, I expected this. I don't really think it is necessary to meet in real life. Many of my fellow end game friends communicate with me through kik or text, plus the chat system in PL is relatively straightforward.

I saw you mentioned time conversions, which is what I was planning to use. It is kind of hard to meet up in game, but I think that a strict rule about forfeiting if someone does not show up can solve the problem. Of course that only works if the players are serious about it and actually care about competing, which is where the gold comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Budapest View Post
    Only read the TL;DR. Really wondering how this'll work, and who decides who becomes a team captain.
    Sorry to be blunt, but if you're wondering how it will work you should really just read the post.

And for the most part, the end game community already has great leaders and role models. I don't think that we would have problems coming up with captains, especially since it is entirely up to the team to nominate one.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Hey Moth, awesome idea and I know you asked for feedback way long ago about this - I'm excited to see you go through with this.

Because my tournament never went through, if people commit to this, I still have some of the donations (other than Husky's 5mill he asked back for) which I would love to give to you as the start to this Pleague.

I didn't get much chance to read through this all entirely. There may be some things to reconsider, but I think you have a very solid foundation.

The hardest part is finding the right amount of active people to join. My tournament recently fell apart because A) Players signed up and didn't ever come on or B) Got banned.

There are a large number of players in game who do not use the forums. If you're fully devoted to this, Moth (and I know you care about this community), then I highly encourage you to bring more people in game on to the forums. Spread the word in the game. I really would do this, but I honestly haven't found that passion to do so (maybe I'm just lazy). Not sure how much you are up to the challenge, but if you want a big Pleague, then you have to bring in more people in game (yes, that includes Family members )

I would love to help in any other way - rules, organizing, etc. You name it... just let me know!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    No worries, I expected this. I don't really think it is necessary to meet in real life. Many of my fellow end game friends communicate with me through kik or text, plus the chat system in PL is relatively straightforward.

I saw you mentioned time conversions, which is what I was planning to use. It is kind of hard to meet up in game, but I think that a strict rule about forfeiting if someone does not show up can solve the problem. Of course that only works if the players are serious about it and actually care about competing, which is where the gold comes in.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you're wondering how it will work you should really just read the post.

And for the most part, the end game community already has great leaders and role models. I don't think that we would have problems coming up with captains, especially since it is entirely up to the team to nominate one.
    No problem, you did answer my question. I simply didn't have time to read the full post at that moment, will read it now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Budapest For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Hey Moth, awesome idea and I know you asked for feedback way long ago about this - I'm excited to see you go through with this.

Because my tournament never went through, if people commit to this, I still have some of the donations (other than Husky's 5mill he asked back for) which I would love to give to you as the start to this Pleague.

I didn't get much chance to read through this all entirely. There may be some things to reconsider, but I think you have a very solid foundation.

The hardest part is finding the right amount of active people to join. My tournament recently fell apart because A) Players signed up and didn't ever come on or B) Got banned.

There are a large number of players in game who do not use the forums. If you're fully devoted to this, Moth (and I know you care about this community), then I highly encourage you to bring more people in game on to the forums. Spread the word in the game. I really would do this, but I honestly haven't found that passion to do so (maybe I'm just lazy). Not sure how much you are up to the challenge, but if you want a big Pleague, then you have to bring in more people in game (yes, that includes Family members )

I would love to help in any other way - rules, organizing, etc. You name it... just let me know!
    You're amazing <3 I'll definitely be working hard and do my best to get people to join, if it doesn't work out, oh well.

Thanks so much again, Will, I'll take your advice to heart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

No problem, you did answer my question. I simply didn't have time to read the full post at that moment, will read it now.
    Understood! Thanks for taking the time my friend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    284 Posts

Default PLeague

I had thought this was a good idea since you first shared the idea with me. I love anything that will keep us active and give us things to do.

Only thing is I wouldn't want to leave my guild but I think, with more community feedback, we could work some kinks out and see about getting it started

Great idea and thread.

Mwah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to angeldawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

This was a good read, however what level bracket will the leagues be in? Endgame or varying across all levels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

This was a good read, however what level bracket will the leagues be in? Endgame or varying across all levels?
    As of now, yes. It makes the most sense to me as far as the people playing end game, and the fact that the majority of people's mains are end game.

If the league grows, however, I'm willing to branch it out into other levels with help from secondary managers. I don't think I could oversee end game on top of multiple twink levels, especially if I want to participate myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

As I've already mentioned in game, my primary concern with this league would be the number of players who are motivating enough to actively participate in this sort of thing. If it can be effectively pulled off, I think it sounds very interesting.

I'm more invoked by the idea of how it will be structured. Bringing in conferences and divisions would make things like playoffs and seedings a much more simple process. Of course this would require some sort of pre-season power rankings to try and get the divisions as balanced as possible to keep the competitiveness alive. Obviously a ton of nitty-gritty comes in when planning a well constructed league of any sorts, so the variables don't stop there.

I do like the idea of having something to partake in aside from another poorly thought out tourney though. Like I said, the main issue would be getting people interested in participating. I probably won't join in as a player since I hardly play anymore, and I likely won't ever grind out that 300k xp for 77. I'll be happy to assist with any with any sort of managing you may need help with though, as I have extensive experience when it comes to things like this involving NFL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingFu View Post
    As I've already mentioned in game, my primary concern with this league would be the number of players who are motivating enough to actively participate in this sort of thing. If it can be effectively pulled off, I think it sounds very interesting.

I'm more invoked by the idea of how it will be structured. Bringing in conferences and divisions would make things like playoffs and seedings a much more simple process. Of course this would require some sort of pre-season power rankings to try and get the divisions as balanced as possible to keep the competitiveness alive. Obviously a ton of nitty-gritty comes in when planning a well constructed league of any sorts, so the variables don't stop there.

I do like the idea of having something to partake in aside from another poorly thought out tourney though. Like I said, the main issue would be getting people interested in participating. I probably won't join in as a player since I hardly play anymore, and I likely won't ever grind out that 300k xp for 77. I'll be happy to assist with any with any sort of managing you may need help with though, as I have extensive experience when it comes to things like this involving NFL.
    Sounds good man, I appreciate your assistance. If this does go through, I'll most likely leave most of the organizing up to you, with a little input from me or whatever leadership committee we come up with.

When we talked in game I loved the idea of conferences, and I remember mentioning that we could apply different types of brackets and pool play style tourneys to sponsored championships that are unrelated to the league. This would keep the league going with multiple opportunities to win titles and prizes.

If we do multiple chamionships, it also showcases the players' skill and opens up trading and dropping opportunities, which is what makes this system so unique. If a team is unhappy with its performance, it can potentially pick up other players based on how they did in the tournament.

I'll talk to you more when I get home
    Last edited by Mothwing; 04-16-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

I dont pvp engame, but this might motivate me to start. I have a 77 mage which i never use and a personal guild which is useless

21. The Following User Says Thank You to End For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    I dont pvp engame, but this might motivate me to start. I have a 77 mage which i never use and a personal guild which is useless
    Wow, that's really cool. I didn't think that this idea would get such positive feedback.

You could do me a huge favor by spreading the word and directing your friends here, the more people that do, the faster I can get this thing rolling!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

level restrictions?
    nothing lasts forever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burningdex View Post
    level restrictions?
    As I said to Budapest, I'm mainly focusing on end game at the moment. If this league continues to grow however, it will most likely be expanded to lower levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    As I said to Budapest, I'm mainly focusing on end game at the moment. If this league continues to grow however, it will most likely be expanded to lower levels.
    cool, thanks moth :S
    nothing lasts forever

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Burningdex For This Useful Post: